Should I or Shouldn't I ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stonyman

Should I or Shouldn't I ?

Post by stonyman »

I am having a real problem deciding on the purchase of a blue Yojimbo. Why? I guess I am so use to a black low profile handle. I am on the fence with this one and I know asking on here will be like throwing raw meat to a pool of sharks and asking what the outcome will be. Convince me of the virtues of the funky blue handle or talk me into passing and trying my luck on obtaining a black handled one. :confused:
GradeMaker

Post by GradeMaker »

stonyman - I was in the same boat 2 weeks ago and ended up buying both. I like them both too. In blue jeans I think the blue seems to blend a bit so is a little more low profile and doesn't appear the least bit 'tactical'. Unfortunately (I think) though, clipped in the pocket the clip is almost like a rotating beacon that yells 'look at me' which more than negates any camo effect of the color of the handles in terms of attracting attention. I like the blue G-10 on this knife and on the Dodo. All that said though, if I were only going to have one Yojimbo (or Dodo for that matter) I think I'd go with the black. Reading this back to myself I can see that I've been no help at all to you. Good luck.
Saint-Just

Post by Saint-Just »

Get both. You know you want to :D
Once you have them both in front of you, decide on one. Keep the other as a safe queen and in a year's time it may pay for your user as well.
C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre!
Gal. P. Bosquet, 25th Oct 1854
raven

Post by raven »

Hey stonyman, Bro Depending on the financial situation...........Get Both if possible. If you can't..........Get What You're Used To. Change Isn't Bad. As a matter of fact, you may find something in the blue you may become attached to. If you really think hard about it, you already know which way you're leaning.........Just Go With The Feeling ;) . Take Good Care My Bro and As Always.........Be Safe. Prayers Incoming for You and Yours.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Like Grademaker was sort of saying, the Camo effects of black or blue is not worth the mental anguish. Neither can overshadow the bright, shiny clip. If you like the blue handle (I do, it is pleasant deep blue) then get it. If you think it will bother you, don't get it.

Over time of daily pocket carry and use, I guess the blue might look dirtier unless you are anal and clean it with a tooth brush, so that might be a consideration.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
JD Spydo

Color makes friends> it really does

Post by JD Spydo »

I personally made it a point to get the Blue Yojimbo and Blue Dodo for one simple reason. That funky blue as you refer to it is very sheeple friendly. I was in a college class here about a year ago. We had a group project in one class and I used the Blue Dodo to cut up a bunch of stuff and never even got so much as one strange look.

However that same evening we had a box to open and I got out my black handled Merlin to open a couple of boxes and I did get some weird looks for that one. Even one lady said it looked wicked :eek: . I am convinced it was the color that had a great deal to do with it. Because both blades are hawkbills and both of them do virtually the same chores. And we used that Dodo a lot for 2 evenings with no comments at all.

You guessed it>> I was the only one in the entire group that even had any cutting tool at all :(
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I covered my bright shinny clip with some black grit tape from Wal-Mart...not only does it disquise the clip but adds a better gripping surface for the fingers to make rapid grip changes...Black clip, Black Yo...it doesn't get much better....cept for a Ronin ;) ....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
eastr

Post by eastr »

go with black touch that blue with some grim and bam your got black i think the black will look nice in the end :spyder: rocks :cool: good luck swiming with sharks cause your the meat
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: If you wear blue jeans the blue is more discreet :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Qship

Post by Qship »

I have a blue one set up for right hand carry, and a black one with the clip set up for left hand carry. It simplifies getting dressed in the morning.

Qship
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

stonyman wrote:... I know asking on here will be like throwing raw meat to a pool of sharks and asking what the outcome will be...
:D Well said :D I'm not hungry ..... now :D

Take a piece of paper and make 2 columns. One for blue and one for black handles. Than fill out for your own all the vantages/column. You will see your personal winner :cool:
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

hope this helps..... :p
Attachments
yojimbo 050.jpg
yojimbo 050.jpg (56.43 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
yojimbo 041.jpg
yojimbo 041.jpg (54.42 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
yojimbo 020.jpg