I prefered Spyderco over........A Byrd

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
psimonl

I prefered Spyderco over........A Byrd

Post by psimonl »

To make a little story short:

I sometime "use" my brother in law, who lives in the USA, to have things sent to his home so he can bring them back when he comes to see us in the great Whie North.

He likes it because he can play with my toys for a while before he gave them to me.... Sooo..

The other day, I order something from NGK and ask them (And paid, of course) to add something to the package and write a letter that said that this was for him.

Here is the tricky part:

This is a NKP. But he is curious. And he knows what I think about :spyder:

But I wanted to offer him a user. And looked at the Byrd line: Lots of good sized knive could be offered for a pretty good price........ But finally, opted for the Jester.

It is the one I constantly carry (keyring) and the SE is a great rope cutter.

And there is the round hole.......And so much desing in it (handle, jimpings,...)

So... I just wanted to tell you that as a fist knife for a NKP, I think a Jester is better than any Byrd....

What do you think?

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

psimonl wrote: So... I just wanted to tell you that as a fist knife for a NKP, I think a Jester is better than any Byrd....

What do you think?

Simon
:D Well when I read the title of this thread I thought to myself, "Who wouldn't?" Does that put it into perspective for ya? ;)

Ahem, especially a Jester. :spyder:
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i'd always take any spydie over any byrd... although... ooooo those byrds are great for the money! i definitely see more in my future...

i took my crossbill for a walk this evening... did a few slashing cuts at branches -- YIKES!!!!! a lot like having a beater civi...!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Yes, a spydie will usually out impress anyone. But as far as price goes, the byrds are quite the deal. A finch is about the same as a SS jester (more or less) but at a half to a third of the price!

The newer byrds seem to be better constructed, the raven, crow, G-10 and FRN models seem to have a better fit and finnish than the fully SS byrds, but I haven't handled all the byrds.... yet :p
JaM

Post by JaM »

I would have gone for the G-10 meadowlark. Very nice, solid, and sharp. Not too big, to.

Nothing wrong with a jester though. :)
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

[quote="zenheretic"] :D Well when I read the title of this thread I thought to myself, "Who wouldn't?" Does that put it into perspective for ya? ]
That about sums it up for me too... :p
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee

Post by 224477 »

I dont have a Jester, but have a pair of byrds and I am very comfy with them, assuming the price I have paid for them /in Slovakia, it was around 35USD per item/..
I would buy them anytime with confidence again.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
disorder

Post by disorder »

i'm sure Byrds are great knives for the price, and surely i will buy some..
BUT , but i cant stand that drop-hole.. to me that give to all the design something cheesy.. i know it's impossible to use the spydiehole , but i would prefer a different hole than that drop.
just my 0.02 euros
cc #141
http://www.gnm.it - graphic design
bh49

Post by bh49 »

[quote="zenheretic"] :D Well when I read the title of this thread I thought to myself, "Who wouldn't?" Does that put it into perspective for ya? ]

Zen, I agree with you absolutely.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian