For my friends up in Canada

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

For my friends up in Canada

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Some of This may be of interest to you guys...
http://www.thrustmagazine.blogspot.com/
Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Th232

Post by Th232 »

I'm not in Canada, but that "Urban Fish Bonker" made me crack up. Maybe it's just the name. Good applications in court though, just imagine the prosecution trying to keep a straight face :D
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Unfortunately, here they would just call it a sap as they put the handcuffs on :(
CKE

Post by CKE »

I have the first issue of Thrust...never heard much after that really. I am glad to see Noah is doing well. He has some cool knives on the site there. Thanks for the heads up Doc!

Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Some pretty interesting stuff. The fish bonker(Sap), I like it.
Terry Trahan

Post by Terry Trahan »

I actually just started writing for Noah, and he has been a
friend for a while now.
I have my first by-line in the newest issue of Thrust, I did a review of
Noahs first DVD.
I should have at least 1 full length article next go around.
Thanks, Terry

There are no Tactical Knives, just Tactical Minds.
( Fred Perrin)
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Terry Trahan wrote:I actually just started writing for Noah, and he has been a
friend for a while now.
I have my first by-line in the newest issue of Thrust, I did a review of
Noahs first DVD.
I should have at least 1 full length article next go around.
Good on you bro!

ahhhh, knife SD, my next step into madness. Seems like I am enough into knives as is, I'd also like to learn how to defend myself with them. I don't know how this class compares to other but I would sure be interested in being there!

thanks for the post
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I see that Cold Steel puts out a product for Canadian self defense oriented folks...

Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

zenheretic wrote:I see that Cold Steel puts out a product for Canadian self defense oriented folks...

I always carry at least three spruce cones around my waist band and another as a decorative ornament during winter months on my winter cap...They make fine defensive tools...I have studied Krav-Cone Fighting in the past and Cold Steel's version is a blatant copy-cat attempt....and their hand crafted and sharpened cones would be better suited for tree ornamentation...IMHO they don't know how to make a decent Defensive Cone...I prefer the Phonecone defensive model which is basically a self defense weapon which doubles as a cell phone, Carry your Phonecone anywhere, no one will suspect that you are holding a deadly weapon while talking to friends and relatives....Another good choice would be the KrisCone....it's wavy elongated construction allows deeper penetration with its large serrations...and don't forget about the Cricketcone, which can double as a money clip, and can also be deployed as a throwing cone once you slip your dollars free from the cone. No collector should be without a signature model CentofanteCone, which can be had with a spruce wood handle and a silver engraved spruce tree inlayed....for further information you can contact Spydercone whose motto is "All Gods trees have Knives"......Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:I always carry at least three spruce cones around my waist band and another as a decorative ornament during winter months on my winter cap...They make fine defensive tools...I have studied Krav-Cone Fighting in the past and Cold Steel's version is a blatant copy-cat attempt....and their hand crafted and sharpened cones would be better suited for tree ornamentation...IMHO they don't know how to make a decent Defensive Cone...I prefer the Phonecone defensive model which is basically a self defense weapon which doubles as a cell phone, Carry your Phonecone anywhere, no one will suspect that you are holding a deadly weapon while talking to friends and relatives....Another good choice would be the KrisCone....it's wavy elongated construction allows deeper penetration with its large serrations...and don't forget about the Cricketcone, which can double as a money clip, and can also be deployed as a throwing cone once you slip your dollars free from the cone. No collector should be without a signature model CentofanteCone, which can be had with a spruce wood handle and a silver engraved spruce tree inlayed....for further information you can contact Spydercone whose motto is "All Gods trees have Knives"......Doc :D

I value your knowledge and experience in many regards Dr. Snubnose, but your background in cities obviously hampers your knowledge of a proper self defense cone.

Other than the Spruce Cone, the only other contender is the Snow Cone and of course the Ice Cream Cone. The problem with the Snow Cone is that it comes in so many flavors, it is difficult to decide on which is best utilized in a SD situation. This is also a problem with the Ice Cream cone as well as that the custom makers put out a much better product than the mass producers. :D
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

zenheretic wrote:I value your knowledge and experience in many regards Dr. Snubnose, but your background in cities obviously hampers your knowledge of a proper self defense cone.

Other than the Spruce Cone, the only other contender is the Snow Cone and of course the Ice Cream Cone. The problem with the Snow Cone is that it comes in so many flavors, it is difficult to decide on which is best utilized in a SD situation. This is also a problem with the Ice Cream cone as well as that the custom makers put out a much better product than the mass producers. :D
Zen:
Given a curve C in a plane P and a point O not in P, the cone with vertex O and directrix C is the surface obtained as the union of all lines that join O with points of C. If O is the origin and the surface is given implicity by an algebraic equation, that equation is homogeneous (all terms have the same total degree in the variables). Conversely, any homogeneous implicit equation (or one that can be made homogeneous by a change of coordinates) represents a cone.

If C is a simple closed curve, we also apply the word cone to the solid enclosed by the surface generated in this way.

The volume contained between P and the vertex O is

where A is the area in the plane P enclosed by C and h is the from O and P (measured perpendicularly).

The solid contained between P and a plane P' parallel to P (on the same side of the vertex) is called a frustum. Its volume is

where A and A' are the areas enclosed by the sections of the cone by P and P' (often called the bases of the frustum).

The most important particular case of a cone is the right circular cone (often simply called a cone). If r is the radius of the base, h is the altitude, and l is the length between the vertex and a point on the base circle we have the following relations:

l
lateral area rl=r
total area r(l+r)=r(r+)
volume rh

The implicit equation of this surface can be written

x+y=z; (DON't Tell me I don't know my CONES!!!!!)...Doc :p

Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Ok, Doc, I believe you earned the title of Doc!!!

But you all seem to have forgotten the "Traffic Cone"!!! Orange and comes in different sizes! Can be found from cities to the country. Can even be worn as a hat! Or to announce your presence or to shout at would be attackers. :D

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Th232

Post by Th232 »

[quote="Dr. Snubnose"]Zen:
Given a curve C in a plane P and a point O not in P, the cone with vertex O and directrix C is the surface obtained as the union of all lines that join O with points of C. If O is the origin and the surface is given implicity by an algebraic equation, that equation is homogeneous (all terms have the same total degree in the variables). Conversely, any homogeneous implicit equation (or one that can be made homogeneous by a change of coordinates) represents a cone.

If C is a simple closed curve, we also apply the word cone to the solid enclosed by the surface generated in this way.

The volume contained between P and the vertex O is

where A is the area in the plane P enclosed by C and h is the from O and P (measured perpendicularly).

The solid contained between P and a plane P' parallel to P (on the same side of the vertex) is called a frustum. Its volume is

where A and A' are the areas enclosed by the sections of the cone by P and P' (often called the bases of the frustum).

The most important particular case of a cone is the right circular cone (often simply called a cone). If r is the radius of the base, h is the altitude, and l is the length between the vertex and a point on the base circle we have the following relations:

l
lateral area rl=r
total area r(l+r)=r(r+)
volume rh

The implicit equation of this surface can be written

x+y=z]

Very true Doc, but you have not addressed the issues of the materials used in various types of cones.

The average wooden cone is biodegradable and very environmentally friendly, so much, in fact, that there is a nearly limitless supply. The various kinds of wood also greatly influence this, a hard wood is likely to inflict more damage, as due to F(delta)t = m(delta)v, the more the cone deforms, the greater time there is to transmit the force, resulting in a softer impulse. On the down side, it is substantially more brittle as a result, and a good balance between the two must be found.

A snow cone, on the other hand, is made of ice, and if packed hard enough, can be a remarkably effective self-defense tool, as long as the ice is bonded sufficiently well to the handle. However, for those who do not live in colder regions, the evident down side to a snow cone is that it melts, following dN/dt = k(N-P). To counteract this, a bottle of liquid nitrogen is recommended, and is itself a good tool for self-defense purposes, in both using the metal container as an impact tool, or the LN2 as a cryogenic tool.

Tim's suggestion of a traffic cone is also possible, for road workers, it is an excellent tool that is found very regularly in their line of work. While some may consider its flexibility to put one at a disadvantage, one must also remember that its size also offers significant defensive properties, as it can be used to swat away attacks, and one can get within a certain range, it can be used to obstruct the attacker's vision, thus allowing a clean getaway. Evidently, the air resistance (found by using, among other things, your equations) will reduce this type of cone's ability to be used as a thrown projectile.

I have, under development, a cone which has a maturing cycle such that I can throw it, and upon impact, it will immediately mature, opening up and releasing its contents all over the target. I believe that this type of cone will significant advantages in using the humble cone as a ranged weapon. Unfortunately, at the moment, if this cone is used to strike someone while it is in your hand, it will immediately mature, with predictable results.

Regretably, for more information, there is only one place to visit: Coney Island.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.