Help me pick a new knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kb0rrg

Help me pick a new knife

Post by kb0rrg »

I had decided that I want a new knife. I have been carrying a seraded Spyderco Rescue for 6 years. The rescue is a good knife, but maybe it is time to try someting different. I have though about a plain edge rescue, but it would be nice to have a tip once in a while.

1) I have decided that I want a plain edge. It is better for my needs.

2) I am accustome to my rescue with a 3 5/8" blade. Everything smaller just feels too small to me. Occationally I go to Seattle where the legal limit is 3.5" Technically the rescue is 1/8" too long, but 1/8" is kinda splitting hairs.

3) I want to stay with the tip up theme.

4) I would like to try a Stainless Steel handle.

5) The uses is: EDC, primary daily cutting, and self-defense if need be.

6) under $80

I thought about the Endura, but the tip is too fine. I like the progrip, but it is tip down and the blade is less than 3".

What do you suggest?
GlockDoc

Post by GlockDoc »

kbOrrg,
I went into the "city" yesterday and stopped at my favorite knife store there. Among the knives I handled were the ProGrips, FRN and stainless. I must say that I was impressed with the stainless one. It has a good solid feel and with the Krayton inserts in the handle and clip not at all slippery like the other stainless handled Spydercos. The tip up or down is a personal choice and it doesn't take long to get used a change.

I wanted one but the loan company (read wife) said that I was over the limit on knives this month.

Happy Shopping!

"I just thought of something. What if this thing can read minds?" "He's gonna be real mad when he gets to me." THE THING
Blades

Post by Blades »

What about the Vesuvius?? I believe it is tip up, and it has a 3 1/8" blade. No steel handle, but a nice knife.

Blades

Edited by - Blades on 10/5/2001 8:28:15 PM
chinook

Post by chinook »

A couple of aluminum handled choices come to mind.

Disguised as a responsible adult
nomaded

Post by nomaded »

I would definitely suggest the Bob Lum Chinese Folder. I got one a few weeks back and I just love it. Tip up or tip down carry (my plain-edge came tip up) and the blade is just over 3 inches.
chinook

Post by chinook »

Can't think of any that fit all your criteria, although the Native is tip-up.
Here are a bunch of stainless handled Spydies

Nakano

Post by Nakano »

The Native II C41 and the Rookie C51 are both tip up carry with steel handles. Both have 3 1/8" blade lengths. They can be found for under $80 each.

Both are fine pieces for utility work. The Native seems to be a bit more versatile. The additional choil cutout can be quite useful for choking up on the blade for extra leverage. The large finger groove cutout can provide an ample index point and act as a guard should one need to thrust. Additionally, its spear point blade pattern with its top swedge is a welcomed feature in this sense. Its broad/ flat handle profile minimizes slippage should the blade need to be torqued in a twisting motion. And lastly, its reversible pocket clip is an extra.

Nakano

PS- kindly check your mail.

Edited by - Nakano on 10/5/2001 11:11:44 PM
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

the native ll is tip up,ss,50/50
the Howard Viele is nice but tip down and price is higher than you want.
I will be getting a native ll the 1st of jan I do wish it was offered in PE.

Jeff
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Thanks I would rather have a PE in this knife.The 2001 catalog lists it in 50/50 only.

Jeff
Al

Post by Al »

I've seen the SS Native II PE available from the Knifecenter this now priced at $59.95.

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-Custom ... 0,=,native
Al

Post by Al »

I've seen the SS Native II PE available from the Knifecenter this now priced at $59.95.

http://store.knifecenter.com/pgi-Custom ... 0,=,native
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

ummm does the harpy fit all those criteria? oh wait its not tip-down, oh well, great knife tho. CHINOOK wow that last picture you posted was fantastic, all the spyderco SSs on blue velvet, brings a tear to my eye :p
MAT
chinook

Post by chinook »

ruxton....
I don't personally own any of those except the worker. That scan was by the late James Mattis of Chai Cutlery (see the logo in the lower lefthand corner) He did many excellent scans and pix of Spydercos. Sal sent him prototypes because he had the technique down pat to get shiny stainless steel to show bright in the scans rather than black as it tends to do. I grabbed a good many of his pix. The original of this was meant for wallpaper for the computer and is 1024x743 and 242 kb in size. I can set it up to download if you would like it.

kb0rrg

Post by kb0rrg »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did get a change to look at a SS Endura PE. I have a couple of questions.

1) How slippery is the SS handle?

2) Is the tip stronger on the endura than the delica?

3) What is an Endura II vs I?

I have looked at the Native. I am a bit conserned that the law may see that as a dagger. Is this realitic?
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Endura ll means it is SS handles and aus 6 blade.The endura is FRN and ats55.
I use my endura at work all the time and have never had a problem with the tip but I never pry with it.
I have a SS Rookie ll it is a little more slippery than frn but not enough to bother me.It opens,closes and goes in and out of the pocket like a dream much better than frn does.If you wanted to make it non slip there are decal grips made for glocks that you could cut and put on the handles.

Jeff