CKE/CLB Collab: WHARNING!!!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

CKE/CLB Collab: WHARNING!!!

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ALL,

Check this out...my first collab, and done with none other than our very own CKE. ;) What got this project going was the fact that there was a particular knife that Craig did that had reminded me very much of one of my old FB designs I had done. I found my old protoplastic that I had built of my design and sent the image to Craig. Apparently, Craig and I shared enough in terms of concepts for the future Knifeguild master to say, "Eh, let's do a collab, eh?!!" :D One thing led to another and here is the end result:

The CKE/CLB WHARNING FB.

I will not go into too much detail regarding exact stats, but let me just say the the OAL is 7 1/8". Cutting edge is 3 1/2". Blade thickness is just a hair over 1/8". Handle is beautifully done with scales made of contoured Tan G10, making the WHARNING have a grip of about 3/8" thick. Steel used on the WHARNING is heat treated 440C...a great working steel. Blade grind is Saber for tip strength.

Craig's Kydex sheaths are outstanding, and this one came with a large adjustable Tek-Lok by Blade-Tech. His sheath work was always "good" anyway, with rivets placed logically about his Kydex rigs.

This design shares some of the origin of the SUBCOM FB in that it provides a small enough handle to get a good grip on while keeping it's profile low. If this was to be worn in necker mode, it would carry very well, as the handle is flat enough not to print and there is enough grip to draw the knife even if it were to flip under my t-shirt...at least for me anyway. :p

Spine shape shows some of my Lava concept from the mid 90's. That somewhat "pointy spine" acts as a thumb/index ramp for precision steering. For all of you into the "Immortal Arts" like our Dr.Snubnose, the same ramp acts as a great trapper of sorts when held in the reverse grip...imagine a praying mantis clutching onto "something". Some may want this ramp to be placed further towards the tip by about another 1/2" or so, but no biggee. Craig can accomodate. Balance is good, easily going from forward to reverse grip...I just love G10.

Craig not only supplied all the hard work, but also his concepts in terms of fine ergonomics within the CKE/CLB WHARNING. Craig's CKE Custom's are earning a fast reputation of great workmanship, fine attention to detail, quality materials, excellent sheaths, and his prices are just as great as his knives...(Thank God!).

AFAIK, there are only two or three of these in existance. I am sure another, or the only other owner will chime in and share their thoughts on the CKE/CLB WHARNING Collab. However...

In closing, what else can I say? I mean, CKE Custom quality, it is a Wharncliffe :) , Kydex sheath with adjustable large Tek-Lok, Tan G10 scales...made by a future force to be reckoned with and recognized within the custom knifemaking field. I tell you, it has been an absolute honor to work with Craig on this one!

Craig, knifebro, CEO of CKE Customs...Mahalo MUCH. Er...sorry for the cruddy pics, I took them in the parking lot of **** before the rain came.

God bless and thanks for checking this out everyone. :cool: :cool:
Attachments
revgrip_Wharning.jpg
revgrip_Wharning.jpg (62.16 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
Wharning_Ergo.jpg
Wharning_Ergo.jpg (66.07 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
CKECLB_Size_Comp.jpg
CKECLB_Size_Comp.jpg (65.47 KiB) Viewed 2367 times
Wharning_Sheath.jpg
Wharning_Sheath.jpg (70.83 KiB) Viewed 2372 times
CKECLB_Wharning.jpg
CKECLB_Wharning.jpg (66.93 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Very nice :D

I was wondering whatever happened to that design, looks great.

I love seeing forumite designs in steel. :D
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Puyallupknifegu

Wharncliffe....yummy!!!

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Sweet!!! Yay Chad!! Yay Craig!!! You guys rock!!! Thanks for sharing the pics!!!!

Is this going to remain a custom design or will it go into production????

Thanks guys!!!

-Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

smcfalls13 wrote:Very nice :D

I was wondering whatever happened to that design, looks great.

I love seeing forumite designs in steel. :D
Hiya Scott,

Oh man knifebro...you don't know how terrified I was when I saw that you posted here...I was thinking you'd have a nekid Aardvark avatar dancing or something. :eek: :D

Anyway, yeah. WHARNING ended up becoming a collab with CKE. However, I had developed one with w/o the ramp of the same name. Chase built that one for me, and it is now one of the Deacon's steak knives! :D

Nice seeing ya bro, and God bless :)

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Puyallupknifegu wrote:Sweet!!! Yay Chad!! Yay Craig!!! You guys rock!!! Thanks for sharing the pics!!!!

Is this going to remain a custom design or will it go into production????

Thanks guys!!!

-Tim
Aloha Tim!

Good to see you too! Craig rocks, I just live on one. :o

Uh...IF this CKE/CLB WHARNING was to go into production, Craig would still have the rights to build custom versions...we'll see though.

I am just drooling happily over this wharny! :D

God bless and keep me posted on "things" ;) ;)

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That looks great Chad!
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Good Job Guys! :cool: Craig is on my "Maker's Watch List".. :D

Sam
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Good job!! :)
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

WOW...what a knife, looks great, & ya gota love the name....WHARNING!!! :cool:
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Daywalker,
DAYWALKER wrote:AFAIK, there are only two or three of these in existance. I am sure another, or the only other owner will chime in and share their thoughts on the CKE/CLB WHARNING Collab. However...
I am sure he will post his thoughts on this fine design in due time, my friend... ;)

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Chad/CKE; Sweet!!! Guys..Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

"...that's not a knife..."

[Casually unsheathes WHARNING]

"...THAT'S a knife!"

Chad, CKE, this is GREAT! Although I'll confess the spine more reminds me of the SUBCOM, although I didn't know the Lava had been on the drawing board for THAT long :eek: Fine here though cause the SF is still kickin' a$$!

I've never really given serious thought to an EDC FB, but that is quickly changing...

Why? WHY must you bring about cool stuff when I'm trying to stop spending??? :o

AWESOME collab, guys, and thanks for sharing the goodness!

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

The Deacon wrote:That looks great Chad!
Aloha bro,

Thanks Paul...credit goes to CKE though, he did all the "dirty work". :o

God bless and it is lefty friendly! ;)

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

samosaurus wrote:Good Job Guys! :cool: Craig is on my "Maker's Watch List".. :D

Sam
Aloha SamoRidah,

Yep...he's been on mine since he first started this knifemaking thing of his... ;)

Now, about the Kamen Rider Kabuto in Cast Off form... :p

God bless and hope all is well :) :)

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

WORKER#9 wrote:Good job!! :)
Aloha bro,

Great seeing you and thanks! BTW, love your "location"! :D

Take care and God bless :cool:

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Outlaw wrote:WOW...what a knife, looks great, & ya gota love the name....WHARNING!!! :cool:
Alohowdy Outlaw,

Nice avatar! Anyway, yeah...the name is catchy I guess. Its the only straight edge that'll get you hooked. ;)

God bless and take care :cool:

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="Hannibal Lecter"]My Dear Daywalker,

I am sure he will post his thoughts on this fine design in due time, my friend... ]

Aloha Hannibal,

Do tell?

Be advised...still in shock. Will get back to you bro. :o

God bless you and yours :cool:

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="Dr. Snubnose"]Chad/CKE]

Aloha SSifu,

Forgive me SSifu, but it's CKE/CLB... ;)

Thanks for your thoughts and be advised...I am wearing "it" now. ;) ;) ;)

God bless and will be in touch :cool:

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

uhiforgot wrote:"...that's not a knife..."

[Casually unsheathes WHARNING]

"...THAT'S a knife!"

Chad, CKE, this is GREAT! Although I'll confess the spine more reminds me of the SUBCOM, although I didn't know the Lava had been on the drawing board for THAT long :eek: Fine here though cause the SF is still kickin' a$$!

I've never really given serious thought to an EDC FB, but that is quickly changing...

Why? WHY must you bring about cool stuff when I'm trying to stop spending??? :o

AWESOME collab, guys, and thanks for sharing the goodness!

-Jeff
Aloha Jeff!

Thanks bro, and good to see you...butter and all! :D Anyway, yes. The Lava concept I had in the mid 90's or so...however it had a Yoji blade back then. Only in 2003 did I figure on sharing it with :spyder: ...so it wasn't on their drawing board THAT long. :p

Well...this WHARNING is a good EDC knife, if where you live allows for such carry. Lots of niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice straight cutting edge for daily use and a comfy flat handle, not a lot of weight to tote around...*sigh*. ;)

Thanks for your kind words Knifebrutter.

God bless and take care :cool:

Post by 224477 »

MY congrats to Craig and Sir. CLB (Chad, you should see the Queen of England in the evening news as she, you know.... :D )

Sweet wharnie guys, I love it :D

Great job :cool:
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."