Spyderco knife kits - A perfect idea!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Karen

Spyderco knife kits - A perfect idea!!

Post by Karen »

Why not have a Native kit and an Endura kit? It would have the blade, pins, spring and everything needed to build a custom knife. Maybe a handle template. That way, people could add a bone, horn, ivory, or other custom handle to make a perfect personal knife. The cost to Spyderco would be less, without the price of the handle and assembly.... maybe? I'm sure they would sell. I would buy some!!!

karen
:spyder:
Karen

Post by Karen »

Spyderco could have a line of pretty handles, already made and polished. They could engrave names, initials, etc on them upon request.

karen
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I like it. That would make customization a breeze (well, somewhat easier). But I would like to see it with a delica sooner. The endura is too large for me to carry legally here.

I would also like to see a few different blade styles too. Like hawkbill, recurve, waved, serrated. Stuff like that. The D4 is already quite modular, and I know different blades work--the tasman is basically a hawkbill in a D3 handle.

And why limit it to standard blades? With a thicker blade and thicker lock bar and spacer, you could make a folding little hatchet for not much more than a D4.

This is something I'd really like to see.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

That would be very groovy. I would totally be down for that.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

i am pretty sure this has been suggested a while back. A kit that comes wiht multiple blades and handle colors and materials that the user can assemble for any situation.

If i find it i will edit

edit well i havent found it yet but i do remember that it didnt work out for some reason.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I think it would be even better if materials where just made available. Perhaps in addition or instead of kits. Blades, Handles, hardware, clips, etc all available as separate pieces. I would imagine there would be no warranty on these home made knives since they aren't actually built by Spyderco but the user so Spyderco can't vouch for their reliability.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I like the Idea of Spyderco kits for two reasons. 1. I take everything apart anyway, this would save me time. 2. it would make importing to Canada easier, you can’t flick open a knife that is not assembled.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I think that exact reason is why a lot of Balisongs come in kits. Easier to transport to certain areas.
dedguy.net
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

The Count is right. This has been brought up a at least a few times in the past. IIRC it was discounted because it would be impractical for the factory (or something along those lines).
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
hornshwangler

Post by hornshwangler »

I think a 'custom shop' within the factory making 'adjustments' to current designs with buyers supplying the vision for their unique creations would be attractive for me (as a buyer) and for Sal as a businessman. These customer designs could be based upon past, current, and future production models. I would love to have a CF scaled Lil T with a leaf blade of zdp189 riding on a Ti wire clip. Yep, I would expect to pay a premium over retail for the knife but, the margin for :spyder: would have to be attractive. Just my .02.

Dan
The Dude Abides.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

hornshwangler wrote:I think a 'custom shop' within the factory making 'adjustments' to current designs with buyers supplying the vision for their unique creations would be attractive for me (as a buyer) and for Sal as a businessman. These customer designs could be based upon past, current, and future production models. I would love to have a CF scaled Lil T with a leaf blade of zdp189 riding on a Ti wire clip. Yep, I would expect to pay a premium over retail for the knife but, the margin for :spyder: would have to be attractive. Just my .02.

Dan
Another problem I just realized with this type of venture is that; with the guarded exception of the E4/D4, dissambly of any Spyderco knife automatically viods the warranty. IMHO, selling spare parts such as custom scales, and blades only encourages people to void thier warranty and could creat liability problems in that regard.

That said, it would be pretty cool to be able to do such things even if the warranty were voided. I would think the new E4/D4 series would be the best candidate for such a venture since the scales would be FRN and therefore keep costs down. Mass producing G10, or CF scales for aftermarket parts would seem a bit cost prohibitive, but different colors for the FRN Legos is something that is already in place.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Karen wrote:Why not have a Native kit and an Enduro kit? It would have the blade, pins, spring and everything needed to build a custom knife. Maybe a handle template. That way, people could add a bone, horn, ivory, or other custom handle to make a perfect personal knife. The cost to Spyderco would be less, without the price of the handle and assembly.... maybe? I'm sure they would sell. I would buy some!!!

Karen
Not to rain on your parade but, it's not that easy or cheap for most models.

The Delica 4 and Enduro 4 for instance have nested liners not full liners. Therefore it's not just a case of adding a handle slab to the outside. Instead, the handle slabs would have to be precisely machined to inlet the liners - something difficult outside the factory. Spyderco would therefore have to manufacture a suite of liners from different material to make this possible.

The Native on the other hand (if we are talking about the FRN version) uses pinned construction - not something really suited to home assembly.

In addition, producing kits of knives which are also factory assembled could create confusion when it came to warranty and repair. Therefore, kit knives would have to be significantly different to allow their easy recognition - another re-engineering cost.

Few companies make kit versions of the same knives they sell assembled. Possibly because it only waters down the demand for the primary product, fully assembled knives. Grohmann is one, but they only require attachment of full handle slabs to full tang handles on fixed blades.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Question: Is there any finishing on the D4 or E4 after it is assembled? Well, other than final sharpening and quality check?

Heck, even if we could buy parts seperately for the more "modular" knives, that would be great. The only way to get a PE D4 in forest green now is to buy a PE and a CE green one, and swap the handles. I would definately buy a D4 or two if I could have options like that, especially different blades. The only thing keeping me from getting a D4 now is the "generic" blade shape that I already have many of. Besides, a reverse S blade the size of a delica would be really cool.

Speaking of that, you could also use the same idea to make lightweight captains, and civi's and other more "irregular" bladed knives. (or would that cut into the sales of the regular captain and civi too much?)
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I myself was thinking more along the lines of a knife made just to be sold as a kit or parts knife. Somewhat like how the Kopa was designed specifically to cater to the exotic handle material crowd insted of making a few existing models available in exotic handle materials.
dedguy.net
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I like the idea but I'm afraid there is a limited market for these.
On the other hand, Benchmade offers grip scales for their Rukus.
And bright orange G-10 is so nice.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Sal has dismissed the idea of a custom shop on a number of occasions as impractical, considering Spyderco's size. However, at the time the Poliwog was introduced, he did suggest it as a model that may be made available in kit form, with multiple blade styles and handle styles. There certainly are a number of pros, cons, and caveats to the idea.

As for a larger knife, I think the best candiate at the moment, assuming both Sal and Alex would go for the idea, might be the Adventura. Screw construction thin enough and light enough that the handles could be further "swiss cheesed" and scales added without making it overly bulky or heavy, and an extremely ergonomic handle shape capable of taking a number of different style blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Karen

Post by Karen »

Let's look at the American knife landscape. Buck and old timer are gone. Case is gone. Unless you accept the concept that chinese made parts assembled in the U.S. make a better knife. I don't know of any production knives that have all of the highest quality materials and beauty of true custom made knives. I love the spyderco designs. I love the steel they use. But I would really like some nice knives that have handles other than plastic of some sort. I think there is a market for factory made knives with the high end materials of custom knives. German knife companies seem to do this very well. We will have to pay 2 or 3 times the money, but I think there are lots of people going around to yard sales and flea markets looking for those quality old knives. I
think the masses love paying $7.99 for cheap folding knife. But I think there are many people who want and can afford the higher end products. I for one, would save for months to by myself a high quality knife, especially if is pretty, and absolutely if it were a spyderco.
Is it not possible for Spyderco to produce some "spyderco elite" knives on a limited scale without killing their general market? I think it can be done.

karen
Karen

i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Post by Karen »

I love spyderco designs, especially the spyder hole and serraded blades. I like the steel. But I really would like a spyderco design with something other than plastic handles. Especially the endura, and also the native. But maybe financially speaking, there is not a market for it. Spyderco has been in business in a world that has eaten most other knife companies. I'm sure they know what they are doing. But... I think they should make a sample one... just for me... :-)

Michael Cook

How would a kit knife be warranteed?

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Both the endura and native come in SS as well as frn, Karen, collect them all! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
hornshwangler

Post by hornshwangler »

I think perhaps my earlier post wasn't clear so I'll try to clarify some earlier points:

1. a custom shop would be a service provided and supported by :spyder: and, as such, all knives produced would carry the factory warranty; this doesn't imply the 'custom knife kit' shouldn't also be produced however, I can understand how :spyder: would not warrant the assembly of a custom kit;

2. a 'custom shop' seems to align with the :spyder: tradition of 'not following the knife crowd' and being an innovative leader;

3. The custom shop service would allow (for a price) a customer to build their own knife thorugh the wonderfull and very talented artisans at :spyder: . This could be an opportunity to expand and grow the business beyond the product line today while expanding the customer base;

4. A custom Native would not necessarily be 'pinned' and could use custom screw construction; I know :spyder: has the technology to accomplish this;

I wouldn't presume to know or understand anything about a business plan for the mass produced knife business or how that plan may or should change over time. I haven't any insite to the financials or other drivers that may influence the strategic plan for :spyder: . I do know that I love their knives, they have the finest people in the knife business working for them (IMHO), and I will continue to buy their knives (even if nothing changes) as long as I can afford them. ;)

all the best
Dan
The Dude Abides.