So I got a Pacific Salt SE...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zac

So I got a Pacific Salt SE...

Post by Zac »

for 25 bucks!

It's big!!! Like the Ocean!!!

and honestly, I just want to start cutting stuff so I can sharpen it. :D
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

Zac wrote:...I just want to start cutting stuff so I can sharpen it... :D

:spyder: That's why Allah made cardboard. :) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Just curious, where did you get it?
Zac

Fish Knife!?

Post by Zac »

For 25 bucks...The Bay of course!

Why did I get it so randomly?
1) it was 25 bucks in an auction that ended around 5 AM EST (I couldnt sleep but all the other bidders could!)
2) my uncle who is a dive instructor is using my Atlantic Salt SE Yellow over his fixed blade which he complained of rust issues so I imagine he will buy it from me

3) This is interesting

So my buddy works at a fish store and often needs to use a knife underwater but the big concern is rust harming the fish (this is an expensive fish store; killing a barracuda or $500 rare African fish would be bad). I told him about H1 and he was interested given it does not oxidize and rust. 95% of their fish are saltwater and he cannot use something like TufCloth because that will kill the fish. However, it is suicidal on knives. Also, FRN seems to be the best handle material for underwater usage (not wet, but fully underwater). My uncle agrees with me that the grip is rougher on the hands but that isn't something you worry about when using a knife underwater as the last thing you want to do is slip or lose grasp of the knife. So my buddy wants to see if the knife is left in with an inexpensive fish if the fish is harmed which since H1 does not seem to 'bleed' from any part, I do not think it will. This will be interesting...
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: the blade lettering can rust. Ya might want to sand it off. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Nice score, I haven't found any deals like that in a long time.

Also a good point for the fishy store, FRN works great without oil, annother thing that might cause the little fishies harm.
Zac

Post by Zac »

Yeah, he cant even use TufGlide!

Luckily, the FRN Spydies define the term 'low maintenence'
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

zac

you can't go wrong with h-1. aside from it's rust free properties (excluding the lettering on the blade) the steel really is work hardened. After a few weeks of using mine, I have noticed significant improvement in edge retention (which to begin with on a PE atlantic salt was comparable to aus-8 or even ats-55 when sharpened on the grey corners of the sharpmaker stones) I've noticed mine holds an edge as long as some of the vg-10 or s30v :spyder: s i've used, with the added benefit of being rust free. if you don't mind scratches on a blade, you'll love that knife.
mnblade

Post by mnblade »

Pete1977 wrote:if you don't mind scratches on a blade, you'll love that knife.
Can you be more specific about the scratches? :confused:
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

mnblade wrote:Can you be more specific about the scratches? :confused:
H1 seems to show usage scratches easier than some other high end stainless steels. Purely cosmetic, but it seems to twist some anal retentive, safe queen, perfectionist's undies into a bundle. :p
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Karen

Post by Karen »

what does "safe queen" mean? I keep hearing that... :)

k
:spyder:
Zac

Post by Zac »

Karen wrote:what does "safe queen" mean? I keep hearing that... :)

k

A knife that never leaves a house and never actually cuts anything.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Zac wrote:A knife that never leaves a house and never actually cuts anything.
Literally sits on its throne in the safe, to be fawned upon but never carried or used.

I have users and safe queens. H1 is always a user. ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
MacTech

Post by MacTech »

I have the PE Pacific in black, and love the thing, it's earned it's place in my permanent EDC group, i don't often need a 4" blade, but those times that i *DO* it's there, ready to be used, since it's such a lightweight knife i often forget it's there, quietly sitting in my LR pocket

i've sharpened it enough to work-harden the edge to a quite usable hardness, i'd say up there with AUS-8, and unlike any other steel, it takes a super-fine edge quickly and easily, i'm sure that i could split *atoms* with this edge ;)

H-1's ability to take a truly terrifyingly sharp edge is frankly, amazing, i can take a wedge of Cabot "Hunter's Cheddar" (Seriously Sharp!) fresh out of the fridge and cut very thin slices with the Pacific, and the slices stay together, typically using a standard knife on fresh-from-the-fridge Hunters Cheddar will cause the slices to disintegrate and crumble when cut, but not with the Pacific

the Pacific's a great knife, and i've rust-tested it for 2 weeks in a salt-water spray test chamber, *NO* rust (the Pacific was the first Spydie i rust-tested, and it passed with flying colors)
Save the Dodo (Collect the whole set!)
Proud owner of 3 Blue Dodo's, SE#130, SE, and PE
Join the Cult Of H-1....
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yeah gotta love the Pacific Salt (heck I love anything with H-1)! the sides of the blade can get scratched with use.....from what i can recall i heard the spine of the blade had a Rc of 55? and I believe the Rc of the plainedge was in the low 60's and the serrated one even higher (due to the work/stress hardening behavior of the steel).....i'll let the experts chime in with exact numbers.... :rolleyes:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."