Warranty & Repair (Turn Time Update)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TazKristi

Warranty & Repair (Turn Time Update)

Post by TazKristi »

I wanted to alert you to our current turn times in W&R. We are running approximately 6-8 weeks out right now. We're hoping to close in on that time relatively soon, but I want you to be prepared (if you need to send something in) or informed (if you already have something in).

We've made some improvements/upgrades in our factory and those required that we temporarily stop certain things. Everything is functioning again at this point, but we've got some catching up to do.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, but we feel it's important to continue our CQI™ (Constant Quality Improvement).

Thanks for your support!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Thanks for the updates, Kristi! :)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

It's nice that you would even let us know. Thanks :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
will_77

Post by will_77 »

Thanks for the update, you've got a delica and military of mine so I appreciate the heads up.
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

TazKristi wrote:We've made some improvements/upgrades in our factory...
Sounds interesting. :) Could it be in preparation for the next generation of :spyder: s?
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Thanks for the update Kristi :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Thanks for this announcement, Kristi; it is a reliable gesture for me.

All the best for your restructuring!
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

Thanks for the heads up!
I'll try and hold off breaking anything till the backlog is over.....although in 10 years I've only managed to lose 1 clip on an Endura....which was prompty sent out by mail. :)
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers

Post by 224477 »

Thanks for the head up Kristi.

I have sent a couple of mails already to W&R, you were in the Cc. too.
I would be happy to get a reply, no problem with waiting for the solution.

Thanks much, pls. let me know.
Jano
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

It might be a good idea to sticky this one for new members visiting the forum in search of info like this.

Thanks for the update, Kristi.

-Bryan
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Thanks for the update!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

It only took about 3 weeks to get my replacement Endura wave, and another 2 weeks to get back my Native and Endura that I sent in for sharpening. I wanted to see how close I am coming to getting my knives Spyderco sharp on the sharpmaker. I can come close on the Endura (it can easily push cut newsprint), but the Native is definately sharper than I can get it. It can push cut newsprint over an inch from where I hold it, with excellent slicing aggression. I guess I have some more practice to do.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

thanks for the update, kristi. i send my d4 in for sharpening about 3 weeks ago. memos like this go a long way in easing any anxiety about when to expect it back. i appreciate it.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
bma

Post by bma »

Wow! I sent back a Rescue 93mm Blue that had a loose clip due to some FRN breakage, shipped from VA on 7/21. The 6-8 turnaround time kinda bummed me out (had to get a Cricket to "tide me over") ... but today there was a box from Golden with a new replacement back with the letter dated 7/26!

Great job, guys!
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

I'm impressed! Just got my Delica 4 back from W&R. I sent it in on July 11 for a sharpening. It was completely dull, as I had spent about six weeks sanding/filing/polishing the blade in a beginner's attempt to put a mirror finish on it. At some point I gave up on trying to put such a finish on the blade, but was so caught up in how different grit sandpaper and different polishing compounds affected the appearance of the blade that I became obsessed with modifying the blade with no particular end in mind. Ultimately, the entire blade became rounded and smooth -- including the edge. While I tried to put an edge back onto the blade, it was too late for me and my Sharpmaker to make any impact. It was thus with uncertainty that I turned to Spyderco to help me with my problem -- a relatively new D4 with a useless (but smooth!) blade.

Well, a few days ago (August 12 -- just one month after sending it in) I came home to find a package on my porch. It was from Spyderco, and I was nervous about opening it. I hadn't heard from W&R since I sent it in (not that I expected to), and was worried that they might have just sent it back in the same condition, saying I had voided the warranty or it was too far gone to repair. But when I opened it, there was my Delica -- the same blade, but completely reprofiled with a wicked edge put on it! Even the top of the blade -- the spine -- was flattened and reprofiled (it was rounded smooth from all my sanding).

Needless to say I am completely impressed and thankful. Spyderco's W&R -- for the second time in my life -- has come through in sparkling colors.

Thanks Spyderco! It's great having my Delica 4 back, looking and working better than ever! :D
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)