Short, amusing story about my Endura today...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Episteme

Short, amusing story about my Endura today...

Post by Episteme »

Just thought I'd share what I found to be an amusing occurance today at work:
Before I leave for graduate school in September, I found an office job at my undergraduate university (Rutgers). So today, the exterminator comes in and am told to show him the basement boiler room to find cockroaches. So the door to the boiler room is locked, and he asks if I have a knife to slide between the doors to open it. I casually reach to my right hip pocket, and draw my Endura 4 PE. Instantly, I hear "Jeez, I'm never messing with you!" Fortunately, it was a good-natured comment. I never thought of the Endura as a particularly menacing blade, especially the plain-edged version. I wonder what reaction I would have gotten had it been my SE Police, or Gerber Applegate Combat Folder. :cool:
Just wondering if anyone else here has had any similar occurances with the "non-knife" folks.
-Mike
JaM

Post by JaM »

Yup... same sort of reaction when opening my yellow, PE Salt. :rolleyes: Go figure.
I too think that an Endura is a bit "big" sometimes. That's why I edc a Delica.
wec12

Post by wec12 »

I received my Endura 4 SS CE (along with Delica 4 SS CE) last Fri. After holding Endura in my hand, my reaction was "WOW :eek: ... This is a HUGE HUGE HUGE knife... If someone sees me with opened blade, they WILL freak out."... I'm studying in grad school, not some sort of environment required huge knives. So... I think Endura will definitely scare people to death :D .
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

The funny thing is that if you pick up a fixed blade with a four inch blade, it's rather small.
Episteme

Post by Episteme »

wec12, just curious, where are you studying in grad school? I'll be at Johns Hopkins begining in the fall for a doctorate. I will be sure to never draw anything bigger than my ladybug or dragonfly at Hopkins...I'm sure my colleagues will look unfavorably at any blade larger than 2 inches. Interestingly, I took a class in Medieval History several semesters ago, and I learned that our present-day conception of a University was born in Medieval Europe, and in the first Universities, (Paris, Rome, and Bolognia), the wearing of knives or swords quickly became prohibited in the classroom. The reason for this is that many accounts of students stabbing other students in the midst of heated academic debates have been recorded, and quickly the tradition of banning 'weapons' in educational institutions took-off. The brilliant 18th century astronomer Tyco Brahe actually lost his nose in a duel with swords with another scholar over a mathematical debate.
Anyway, I guess I'll leave the Endura / Police / Tasman hidden away at Hopkins, and use the mini-spydies when needed.
Sorry for the long post.
Mike
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Rutgers is my alma mater for undergrad studies, though at the time I didn't carry a knife around campus. With all the drinking, that was probably a good thing!

Good luck and beware of the RU Screw!
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mike,

cute story.

My normal reaction is:

"Heck, it's just a tool. If I wanted to hurt someone, I'd shoot them, or blow them up. That's what they do nowadays".

Usually ends up in a laugh and the "threat" is diminished.

sal
mr.vu

Post by mr.vu »

Episteme wrote:The reason for this is that many accounts of students stabbing other students in the midst of heated academic debates have been recorded, and quickly the tradition of banning 'weapons' in educational institutions took-off. The brilliant 18th century astronomer Tyco Brahe actually lost his nose in a duel with swords with another scholar over a mathematical debate.
:eek:

Vu
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

I'm a grad student too, and I usually carry either my delica or endura with me, though I always have a cricket in my back pocket which is what i usually use. I think I got a lot of respect from our new lab tech when he asked to borrow a knife and without thinking I whipped my endura wave from my pocket.... I don't use my knives to much, but they definitely are useful around the lab from time to time.
R
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Episteme wrote:wec12, just curious, where are you studying in grad school?

Mike
Deleted.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I've got my coworkers trained well, they don't even blink when I pull out my Tasman anymore. They've kinda acclimated to my knives, the only thing that would scare them would be if I brought the Kershaw Outcast to work on my belt. :p
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Sad to say, but that's the kind of sheeple reaction that happens in society today. I've actually gotten the same reaction from a Subcom F. :rolleyes:
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

ghostrider wrote:Sad to say, but that's the kind of sheeple reaction that happens in society today. I've actually gotten the same reaction from a Subcom F. :rolleyes:
Its ridiculous. I got the same reaction to my ladybug once.
"DANG thats a HUGE keychain knife!"
ruxton

Post by ruxton »

I had it when I showed someone the cricket on my keys! They actually said something along the lines of "remind me not to mess with you". Saying that I live in the UK so 99% of sheeple think "weapon" when you say "knife". If I pulled out an Endura at uni for any reason I guarantee someone would phone the police and there would be an armed response unit there in no time.

Easy solution of course... I don't take my :spyder: s to uni! It's too risky to nowadays anyway, they have metal detectors at train stations that scan everyone who passes through them for knives. :(
"Even though I, Bruce Lee, may die some day without fulfilling all of my ambitions, I will have no regrets. I did what I wanted to do and what I've done, I've done with sincerity and to the best of my ability." - Bruce Lee
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Somebody called my Caly Jr. "big". I actually started laughing. I guess I'm just used to larger knives. When you compare the Caly to a normal sized SAK, it looks fairly large.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

Actually similar story was in a math education class my boss and I were both taking, and got to build parabolic hot dog cookers from corrugated cardboard. While everyone else in the class was fumbling with scissors, I drew my Dodo and my boss his PE Native and we both made short work of the project, and then made short work of the project for several other groups :cool: . The guest lecturer said "Wow, looks like you guys are ready to go huntin'."
sal wrote:Hi Mike,

cute story.

My normal reaction is:

"Heck, it's just a tool. If I wanted to hurt someone, I'd shoot them, or blow them up. That's what they do nowadays".

Usually ends up in a laugh and the "threat" is diminished.

sal
ROTFLMAO :p :p :p I wish I'd heard that one back then. Our guest was already crawling up the wall, I think that would have stuck him to the ceiling :p :cool:

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

My normal EDC was a persian till I switched jobs to a very unknife friendly enviroment now all I can carry is a Cricket, Dragonfly, or my meerkat. I'm just lucky they don't know about the swick.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Back in the 80's when knives were allowed on board the airplane...the guy sitting next to me pulls out a blue handle Delica SE to cut an article out of his paper.....so I reach into my pocket and pull the exact same knife...the guy who turned out to be an FBI agent says to me "hey nice knife" and the stewardess walks by and says to us..."gentlemen...no knife fighting in the isles" and chuckles and keeps walking.......Times have changed... huh....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
jmosinjoe

Post by jmosinjoe »

I work in shipbuilding and had occasion to be carrying my SE Endura one night on the back shift . I was on lunch break sitting at a table with some of my mates and was in the process of opening a back of chips that had that aluminum like finish that is sometime a cuss to open. No problem, I just open the Endura, flatten out the sealed end of the bag, and just zip it open and the sealed end pops off and flitters to the floor. Just as that happened this BIG dude sitting at the table says," Joe, you don't have to worry about me living or dying as long as you are carrying that knife!" I got the impression that the others at the table felt the same way. :D I will say this, My knives are rough use work tools first and I would not harm a fly unless severely pushed into a corner. :)
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the story Mike. Sometimes I get the same reaction with certain knives. Somehow surprising, the Chinook seems bigger than the Military, although it is fairly shorter.
Usually, if someone throws the "remind me not to mess with you" comments (or similar), I just say "Yup, it's a good knife" :rolleyes:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.