Chris Reeve style ti frame lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
druid

Chris Reeve style ti frame lock

Post by druid »

On another forum Carlos has been looking for suggestions for a possible production Chris Reeve style titanium frame lock high-end folder.

Personally I think it's a great idea.

He is cautioned that coupling titanium frame lock with a very exotic steel might result in an exotic MSRP.

MSRP would be around $250. Unfortunately not sure if that is with vg-10 or s30V.
why
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Id love a Framed MIlitary. That would be l337 Sauce.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Well I guess I will post my 2 cents agian.
Native or a Military
Ti framelock back scale
Canvas micarta or G10 front scale
Tip up carry with lanyard hole
back spacer milled and drilled with holes for a after market install of a tritium tube.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Easy enough for me; this treatment should go to either the Military or the Paramilitary. One side Ti framelock and the other G10 sounds like a proven winner....with Spyderco's outstanding ergos.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

druid wrote:He is cautioned that coupling titanium frame lock with a very exotic steel might result in an exotic MSRP.

MSRP would be around $250. Unfortunately not sure if that is with vg-10 or s30V.
He's just cautioning against the inevitable cries for ZDP-189 or CPM S125V, which everyone wants until they see what it costs in a Ti framelock.

I already put my thoughts in on that thread, I'd like something new, and not just a refurbished design.

I definitely want the pivot bushing, takes the knife into a whole different level.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Hi Guys,

It would probably help if we could keep all responses on one thread. The bigger the coonsolidated buzz, the better chance it has of happening.

Here's the original thread:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=408580

If you can't post on Bladeforums, please note that here and I'll post your comments for you to the Bladeforums thread. Thanks. :D
"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

druid wrote:
I adjusted my original post to clarify this. I was thining US manufacture with S30V, but Japanese manufacture with VG-10 would probably be the same. Think of BM Skirmish pricing as a guideline, IMO.
- Paul Graham
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

druid wrote:On another forum Carlos has been looking for suggestions for a possible production Chris Reeve style titanium frame lock high-end folder.

Personally I think it's a great idea.

He is cautioned that coupling titanium frame lock with a very exotic steel might result in an exotic MSRP.

I don't think VG10 or S30V are exotic anymore ! Spyderco uses VG10 on almost all there folder and S30V is used by a lot of makers. I doubt if ZDP would really be by that much more than S30V.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Dannyvi wrote:I don't think VG10 or S30V are exotic anymore ! Spyderco uses VG10 on almost all there folder and S30V is used by a lot of makers. I doubt if ZDP would really be by that much more than S30V.
At least $25 more. By exotic steels we mean S90V, S125V, and ZDP-189. VG-10 and S30V are standard steels for this.
- Paul Graham
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Well, I have refrained from posting in Carlos' thread, since the idea of a Ti framelock leaves me completely cold. Aside from the fact that it would inevitably be right handed, the unfinished look that a framelock normally gives a knife has no appeal to me, even if it were left handed.

A left hand framelock, with a full flat ground blade just under 3" and scales that hide most of the lock, like those on the Mnandi, would interest me, but think theres a better chance that Osama will be Billary's running mate in '08 than there is of Spyderco building something like that.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

The Deacon wrote:A left hand framelock, with a full flat ground blade just under 3"
This is good enough for me. The lock appearance doesn't bother me all that much, but I can understand why it would.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

To be honest if there had to be a trade off between the Titanium handles and lesser steels I would take the blade steel everytime with no hesitation. What in fact is a knife after all? The Blade is by far the most important part.

The titanium handled M16 by CKRT still only cuts like a knife with a Aus 8 blade. Don't get me wrong, I love titanium. It's irrelevant to performance though. Go with the S125V, M4, 10V etc. Thanks. Joe L.