Overseas Travel Carry

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kn00b

Overseas Travel Carry

Post by Kn00b »

Thought I'd get some input from the forum here. In a couple of months I'll be traveling to Malta and France. Obviously any sharp objects would have to be sent as checked luggage and I plan on also follow up on local laws. But practical travel can be different from net research so I thought I'd check in here for others' experiences/opinions.

I'd really like to bring my Lil Temp along but I'd hate to lose it to say, an overzealous security guard at the Louvre for instance. I'm considering picking up a piece I wouldn't mind losing quite so much.

Although I'm no Dale Gribble (King of the Hill reference anyone?), I do believe in being a bit more security conscious when traveling. I'm not about to go as far as the whole hidden money belt thing but some tips on wallet and passport carry, etc. to make things a bit less of a tourist target would be appreciated as well.
JaM

Post by JaM »

Dont know about Malta and France, but as long as you dont start waving your knife in public, you should be fine.
I once took my SOG Seal-pup to the Reikstag, in Berlin. It was an honest mistake, it was still in my backpack. I gave it to the security guard who looked kinda suprised at it, but I got it back afterwards (when I left).
So, I think common sense will get you a long way there, you can always play the "innocent tourist". And maybe take a knife with you that you dont mind losing... because those things do happen.
catamount

Post by catamount »

A UK (or DK, if you can find one) Penknife would be a good choice. They were designed to comply with strict knife laws in the UK and Denmark. Pics and more info can be found on Deacon's excellent homepage.

http://paulberetta.com/pen_knives.htm
Tom

[url]http://spydercovt.com[/URL]
Sequimite wrote:I use knives. I collect experiences.

I'm an admirer of Spyderco's designs. Using them is like immersing yourself in music or studying a painting in a museum. I buy some "fine" art but my preference is for usable art.
Junior avatar courtesy of dialex
Ed Schempp

British Blades

Post by Ed Schempp »

British blades has a chat room on knife laws and would be most helpful in your search for information. France is not a problem, I don't know about Malta...Ed Schempp
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

A small to medium SAK is a safe bet and cheap to lose.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
kjunx

Post by kjunx »

my Habit when traveling, especially abroad is to purchase a knife when I land in the country I am visiting.. I check with one of the local police officers on the street to ask what the local laws are concerning a 'small' pocket knife for preparing food and such (always phrase like this). then I go into one of the shops and purchase. Typically i get a opinel because they aren't too expensive and i can give them away before I leave. Another option is taking a ladybug.. they can serve as a last resort defense tool and should provide you with most cutting tasks on a trip.

hope this helps

kj
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

Also thinking about picking up one of these for cash and passport carry:

http://www.all-ett.com/prod.html#traveler

Back pocket wallet carry isn't really an issue where I live but doesn't seem like such a good idea in a big city/foreign country.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If you really want to blend in, I'd say get an Opinel or Lagiuole. But I always stuck with a moderately sized Spydie. A ti Salsa for a few years, and now I switched to a yellow Salt I. The Salt should prove very useful, since I can take that model anywhere, even in the sea or the pool at the hotel :D .

I never pay more attention to my wallet abroad then I do at home. It's a easily monitored pocket either way.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
SpyderNoir_JHA

Post by SpyderNoir_JHA »

Considering that Laguioles, Opinels, and Victorinoxes are sold in practically every tabac in Paris, I doubt you'll get much trouble from the French. Heck, check out Dune on the Champs-Élysées... they've got all sorts of crazy knives and weapons there.

I was last in Paris a year ago and the only big tourist spots that I remember having metal detectors were the Musée d'Orsay and the Palais de Justice (including la Sainte Chapelle.) The Louvre's main entrance (through the pyramid) may have had one, but I don't think that the entrance through the Carrousel du Louvre shopping area does.

I carried a Vic waiter or a Laguiole with me every day of my six months there, and I only ever had to leave it with the security guard at the Palais de Justice.
Qboy

Overseas travel

Post by Qboy »

Actually, I find people in other countries are generally more mellow than we are here about knives. I have a great story about this. I have a friend from Germany who came to the U.S. for an extended stay (2 years) and hr brought his S&W 44, a 9mm from his military service (I forget which brand) and a Boker top lock auto knife with a 3" blade. At customs he was astonished that they had no problem with the guns but were very concerned about his little knife. True story. Knives that look Military always get more negative attention and in some places this is especially true. Mexico is an example but I do not know about Europe specifically. I agree that a large Opinel is not a bad choice for travel. They are cheap and very common in Europe. Swiss Army knives are also universally acceptable but I don't like them myself. I'd rather have an Opinel.

Happy travels.
markg

Post by markg »

NEVER travel with anything you don't want to lose. Therefore I would not take the Lil' Temperance, since it cannot be replaced (at least easily at this point). Sticky fingers when checking bags in transit is something you don't want to have to deal with. :(

A SAK in your travel kit in you checked bags is the best bet.

Buying local is good advice also, then give to someone when you leave.
Senate

Post by Senate »

I might be able to help you for tthe french part :)

Basically you need to know that any knife is forbidden to carry if you don't have a very very good reason, and Self Defense isn't one... but due to our knife history and industry, it's more a case by case decision for the LEO to make if you're going to keep your knife or not. SAKs and french traditionnal knives are usually not an issue but when it comes to spydercos and more agressive looking blades, it's how you react and what you say that will make the difference. Being a tourist you should have no problem in the streets as Police doesn't control that much, unless you're in the bad place at the bad moment, only museum entrance will be a problem.

now concerning the criterias for choosing spydies you could bring with you:
-preferably no teeth, they look agressive
-something black and moreover all black isn't recommended too, try fun colors (yellow SALT)
-the size is really important, I suggest a 3inches max blade length.

to name a few: UKPK, Caly Jr, 75mmPersian, yellow SALT, Cricket, Native...
Leave the LIL'T or Military at home

These "surviving rules" are mostly for big cities environement, if you stay in the countryside you can bring the Bowie!

Don't bring a knife you can't afford to loose and have a great trip :D
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Ok everyone else covered the knife part pretty well, for actually transporting in luggage, I believe putting it in the middle of rolled up socks is a good bet. Only sticky fingers with xray machines would likely find it, as sticky fingers don't have long to ransack your suitcase.
Next as far as a wallet for passport etc. I see the big huge carry everything wallet a lot but tend to think it is a bad idea. Personally, I don't care to carry my passport in same wallet as credit cards and cash. Why?: well when traveling through points that require a flashing a passport you don't need cash or credit cards but you do run the risk of dropping a credit card etc. and not noticing it. (sounds foolish but you will be jetlagged and fumbling with a new wallet in a land where English isn't first. The KISS principle is best. Also, pickpockets are a concern around classic tourist areas. Unless you can blend in like Jason Bourne, you will be on pickpocket radar. A giant wallet that holds all cash, credit cards, and passport is hard to carry in front pocket. (my prefered place to carry important stuff, as is slightly harder to pickpocket out of front vs back pocket or especially fanny pack/backpack. Also have the phone numbers of credit cards listed in case you loose them and need to cancel ASAP...carry the phone numbers seperate of course (need the credit card # too). It is also a good idea to photocopy your passport and carry seperately too...much easier to get things going at embassy with a photo copy. (Don't leave your passport in a bunch of luggage in a car in a tourist area :rolleyes: )

Summary: Hide knife in socks of suitcase for the plane rides.
Small wallet better than big wallet.
Wallet in front pocket usually better storage.
Copy of passport and credit card #'s seperate.
Drink water at least every half hour on plane and avoid the free alcohol while flying...better chance of not getting sick. ;)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
sovereign

Post by sovereign »

Spent 6 months in Peru and Bolivia with a L'il Temperance. Of course, you can walk around in the streets with a machete so it was not an issue.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

spyderknut wrote:A small to medium SAK is a safe bet and cheap to lose.
I think this is the way to go. They are relatively cheap, easy to come by, and so common that they usually don't attract any sort of attention. The last thing you want to worry about during foreign travel is attracting the wrong kind of attention (especially if you don't speak the local language).
Steve
zeus

Post by zeus »

If you are set on taking a knife in your checked baggage, try to attach it with nylon zip ties to a hard part in your bag. Spyderholes are perfect for this and my suit bag has fixed metal rods for the hangars. Two or three zip ties around the handle and thru the hole should discourge "sticky fingers" at the airport.
Cuccos19

Post by Cuccos19 »

Hi guys!

As I'm originally not English speaking, so I don't really understand what does SAK refer to. I got it that it's an acronym, but what does it mean? Maybe a smaller Byrd (Medowlark, Robin) can be considered as a "SAK"?

Anyway I will have nice long planeride somewhere in the near future. And a cruising, too. But as a crewmember.... :o

Thanks Peter1960! Every day learn day!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

SAK = Swiss Army Knife / Schweitzermesser (Victorinox or Wegner); those knives are well known over the world and most people don't see a weapon in a SAK :)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

My daughter just returned with her high school group from Germany and Austria. Although she did not take her Ladybug on the trip, we did send her with a Maxpedition Deluxe Traveler passport wallet. These cost around $36, and hold everything. They hang from the neck for inside jacket or inside shirt carry, and also has a backup strap that goes around the back if you want extra security. As was mentioned earlier in this thread about credit cards falling out etc.. the deluxe traveler has velcro straps to eliminate the credit card fallout thing as well as zippered cash areas to help with the fatigued traveler.

Everyone in my daughter's school group including chaperons wanted a wallet like she brought abroad. I use mine for ease when going through TSA security in the USA.

Great advice all over this thread re: travel abroad.
Spyderco Collector #162
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I have a SAK soldier which is my travel knife, I've taken it many places with no problems, and it only cost me $25, so very cheap to replace if I lose it. Last January my wife and I drove down to the southern States and went to various tourist attractions such as Disneyland and Sea World among others, I never had a problem with my SAK there either. At Disneyland they searched our bags, but I had put the SAK in my pocket, so no problem there. As for money and wallets, we actually paid for the whole trip with cash, so we had about $3000US on us. What we did was split it up into 4 envelopes, these were hidden in different spots in my van, at night we would take one envelope in the hotel with us. In the morning we would take out a days worth of cash from the envelope and split it evenly between my wife and I, then returned the envelope to it's hiding place. With the money in my van it was insured if the van was stolen or something, and if one of us was mugged or something we would only have around $70 that we would lose. Also that way we weren't flashing big wads of cash around while paying for things. Our passports we kept in our luggage which remain in the van for the whole trip, other then that we had the cash and our driver's licence, health and insurance cards.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.