Charles May knives?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jimmy_Dean

Charles May knives?

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

For those of you who have read the last issue of TK, you have probably read the article on Charles May knives. Very clean and refined outdoor knives. It has been bugging me for a while and this morning I decided to take the plunge and ordered a Holt Collier Special in D2 and desert ironwood. It was the first time I spoke with a knife maker over the phone about the materials I'd want in my knife and stuff...I really enjoyed it.

Anyway, anyone else notices Charles May's knives? Which model would you have chosen?

Thanks
-Dean
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Those are some nice looking knives, somewhat Dozier like, but I like Charles' bladeshapes better. Prices look real reasonable also. I found his website.

http://charlesmayknives.blademakers.com/
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
JaM

Post by JaM »

:eek: wow... very very nice... I am a fan of "traditional looking high tech material" stuff, so thanks for the link !!
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

He certainly makes a great looking knife, with great materials and at a great price too.
Is there a model that would strike your fancy in particular?
JaM

Post by JaM »

Big Hand Scandi, Scandi Trace... No idea yet on how big they are (I should compare them I guess), and how they feel, but they look good.

Simple & Solid.
Ted

Post by Ted »

Nice, that big-hand-scandi looks awesome! And very affordable too!
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Plain and simple construction but well done so that's fine with me. The grind and ricasso line look well defined, a proof of the makers craftmanship. It looks as if he leaves the edge a tad thick but I'm not sure about that. The scandi ground knives don't have that anyway. Nice to see a scandi grind on a normal knife for a change. It sure has earned a good reputation. What I don't understand are his prices. The man uses good materials so he doesn't take much of a profit. I like that bright orange G-10 on his Refuge model, nice knife.
Congrets Dean, you're getting a custom made knife for a factory price.
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Thanks for the info, Jimmy Dean. And thanks for the link Simple Man. Those are some fine looking fixed blades. I've been thinking a lot of fixed blades, lately. I agree with Piet that it is good to see another maker using the Scandi grind. I bought a couple of inexpensive Frost Mora knives so I could play with that grind.

Good hunting!
EarthDog
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Piet.S wrote: What I don't understand are his prices. The man uses good materials so he doesn't take much of a profit.
Well it's not mentionned on the website but the price he advertises is like the model with the basic materials(I don't really know what are the basic materials, D2 and some wood for the handle), and there are little extras for certain materials. For example, micarta and deseret ironwood were 10$ extra, dyed bone is 25$ and stuff like that. Mind you, it's still a great knife at a ridiculous price. Now I have to wait for the knife to be ready...that's the tough part!
CKE

Post by CKE »

From what I can tell and have heard his knives are awesome!

Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!