Old Spyderco Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cliff355

Old Spyderco Question

Post by cliff355 »

My Dad recently gave me back a couple of Spydercos I gave him over 20 years ago (I think) which he never used. Apparently the shapes didn't appeal to him. Anyway they are:

1008 R-PLN Clipit Harpy in a red box and a 1003R-PLN Clipit Hunter in a blue box. Both are unsharpened.

These knives appeal to me as users, but I'm wondering if they have any significant collector value which would be ruined if I honed them up and started carrying them.

Also, no type of steel is listed on the blades. Any idea what it is?
gary sims

Post by gary sims »

These models are pretty rare and collectible so I wouldn't use them. The original steel was G-2 or later known as GIN-1. If they are already well used then that changes things somewhat.
Senate

Post by Senate »

an harpy plain edge new in the original box from the old days has a great collector value... :cool:
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Senate wrote:an harpy plain edge new in the original box from the old days has a great collector value... :cool:
I agree. If you were to put that up on Ebay right now, you'd make a killing, and I can guarantee I'll be in the bidding list :p
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

They are both collectable, but the PE Harpy is in great demand, and commands high prices, while the Hunter does not generate anywhere near the same level of interest.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Senate

Post by Senate »

smcfalls13 wrote:...If you were to put that up on Ebay right now...
well Scott, dreams do come true... :rolleyes:
Alexandre.
Spyderco WTC#1978
cliff355

Post by cliff355 »

Thanks for the advice gents. I was poised to sharpen up that Harpy the other day but will let it sit. The shape of that thing is beginning to grow on me though and I may have to pick up a recently manufactured one.
Senate

Post by Senate »

cliff355 wrote:Thanks for the advice gents. I was poised to sharpen up that Harpy the other day but will let it sit. The shape of that thing is beginning to grow on me though and I may have to pick up a recently manufactured one.
well Spyderco released a few weeks ago a gorgeous Carbon Fiber handle variation in both SE and PE (which is quite rare) that will probably remain the best of all, so you might want to check it out before it's completly gone.
Alexandre.
Spyderco WTC#1978
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

cliff355 wrote:Thanks for the advice gents. I was poised to sharpen up that Harpy the other day but will let it sit. The shape of that thing is beginning to grow on me though and I may have to pick up a recently manufactured one.
Sensible move. The years have not been kind to the combination lock spring and backspacer used on the early Harpy. It has become somewhat prone to break and is best relegated to the display case. The current VG-10 version uses a separate spring, as do most (if not all) other front lock Spyderco models and is much better suited to daily use.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
UK KEN

Harpy

Post by UK KEN »

Nice knives!

But........ :confused: Why would you want to sharpen a brand new Harpy that hadn't been used :confused:

Ken
cliff355

Post by cliff355 »

UK Ken:

Well, I wasn't aware there was anything significant about it, but then suspected there might be since it is so old. IIRC I bought a bunch of Sypderco knives in the early - mid '80s. The first one was a small Clipit which was the first "good" knife I bought new and it worked so well that I got a steel-handled Police model. Apparently I got my Dad a couple also and can understand the Hunter model, but why I got him a Harpy is beyond me. He definately isn't a Harpy kind of guy. Then I got my sister one of those dive knife/prybars but she gave it away.

I also recall being of the opinion that the "no-name" steel in those Spydercos was better than anything else on the market. However, this was personal opinion since there was no internet and no knife discussions in those days. It is interesting to hold that Harpy up next to my Lil Temperance and note how much water has been over the dam at Spyderco since then.