electric Razors

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Vincent

electric Razors

Post by Vincent »

Anybody ahve any recommendations on a good Electric Razor. Ive been looking at the Norelco's and brauns. But there are so many models to choose from, thoght id ask for your opinions.
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

BE A MAN! SHAVE WITH YOUR :spyder: 's!

lol j/k I use cheap disposable bics, never used electric....
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I'm a wimp ;)

When I first started shaving, I was too afraid of hacking myself to pieces with a real razor that I bought an electric razor, and I never bothered to get a real one. Years later, I'm still using an electric razor.

It's just so quick and easy to shave, I have no motivation to use a real blade.

I use an older Norelco model(don't know which one, but it's nothing fancy) and it works well for me. Shaving takes all of 45 seconds in the morning. A few things I have noticed though, electric razors will irritate your skin the first few times you use them, until your skin gets used to it. Also, if you're lazy like me and forget to shave for a few days, electric razors will rip the hairs out rather than cut them(which could be because my razor's old, but I figured I'd throw it out there.)

Conclusion? It's quick and easy, but I don't think you'll ever get as close a shave as you would with a real blade. Most of the Norelco's are pretty good, but have not used a Braun, so can't really comment on them.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

well I have the Mach 3 now, But It doesnt cut my neck hair. They are like in all different directions. so by the time i get them all, My neck is bleeding and as red as can be. Plus it takes be about 15 minutes to shave, because the hair just doesnt come off.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Vincent wrote:well I have the Mach 3 now, But It doesnt cut my neck hair. They are like in all different directions. so by the time i get them all, My neck is bleeding and as red as can be. Plus it takes be about 15 minutes to shave, because the hair just doesnt come off.
The razor I have has the three circular blades that move with the curves in your face on the front, but the back of the contraption has a secondary blade which looks like a barbers trimmers, that pops out when needed for shaving neck hair, sideburns, and other hard to shave hair. It works better than the primary blades for neck hair.

Of course trying to do it without a mirror leads to some very interesting haircuts ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I've shaved with electrics on and off for years ... Try the Panasonic. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I've had them all and like the Norelcos too, so you can't go wrong with either one, but for the money ... Panasonic.
Steve
silverback

Post by silverback »

There's no such thing as a good electric razor. :)
Use a straight razor, I started shaving with one five years ago, and it's the best shave possible.
Plus, it's manly as ****. :D
Before that, the Gillette Trac II gave me a good shave.

An electric razor won't cut cleanly and not as close to the skin.
A wet shave will improve your skin, too.

Sorry to preach, but I can't resist.
One of these days I'll post a little instruction with pictures on shaving with a blade. ;)
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

[quote="silverback"]There's no such thing as a good electric razor. :)
Use a straight razor, I started shaving with one five years ago, and it's the best shave possible.
Plus, it's manly as ****. :D
Before that, the Gillette Trac II gave me a good shave.

An electric razor won't cut cleanly and not as close to the skin.
A wet shave will improve your skin, too.

Sorry to preach, but I can't resist.
One of these days I'll post a little instruction with pictures on shaving with a blade. ]

I am like you SB... :)
A straight razor is the business!!!
Gives you time to think in the mornings, and admire one's manly reflection...and sometimes watch the blood fill the basin, when the wife comes in and yells, "Breakfast is ready!!!!" :eek: :D
cmassicotte

Post by cmassicotte »

Vincent - I am truly envious. You mean you can afford both Spydies and an electric razor? I had to quit shaving years ago :D :D :D
There is no right way to do a wrong thing
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

I like the Brauns. I use the beard trimmer to pick up the stragglers on my neck.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

I don't shave :)
mikewww

Post by mikewww »

Hello Vincent

I have been shaving with an electric shaver since 1964. Started in the army with a Philips (Norelco ?) and have been through at least 12 since then. The latest is the top-of-the range Philips, which I find works great. Never did like the reciprocating type, like the Braun and the Remington.

By the way, whatever happened to Victor Kaiam, the guy who liked the Remington so much, he bought the company ?

Regards

Mike
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Bought a set of hair clippers a few months ago... IF I shave, I just use it on the closest setting... thats if I even bother shaving.

Quite often I have a few weeks worth of growth before even thinking about it. Right now I have 3-4 weeks and if I get up early enough to shower tomorrow I might even use the clippers on my face.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Vincent wrote:well I have the Mach 3 now, But It doesnt cut my neck hair. They are like in all different directions. so by the time i get them all, My neck is bleeding and as red as can be. Plus it takes be about 15 minutes to shave, because the hair just doesnt come off.
My beard hair is like that,grows more inline with the skin too instead of straight out.An electric will not shave hair like mine.I have tried 2 very good ones with no luck,it was like I hadn't shaved at all.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

:p I prefer the Norelco models so far. Seems to shave the face with less passes than others. Also, I found the trimmer on the back works better than most trimmers, works well for those pesky neck hairs and for quick touch ups around the ears....
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

This Phillips razor has served me very well for about 10 years now ;) .

However, the last 5 years I mainly shave with disposable blades of Wilkinsons.

When I do use my Phillips, I have to use the razor blades anyway for the little hairs on my throat.

I shave about 1 or 2 times a week, so the razorblades last about 2 months each.

I never use foam :eek: . Most of the time I shave when under the shower.
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Zwaplat

Post by Zwaplat »

I shaved electric for quite some years, until I went over to Wilkinson Quattro in May. Electric just plain sucks now. It takes ages to get everything off, and it's never close to being a smooth shave. It also irritates much more than the Quattro.
Maybe I'll step over to straight razor in the future, but right now I don't have that kind of money (or the guts :p ) to do that.
HoB

Post by HoB »

I use a straight razor, too. It is really not all that difficult, but it does take longer than electric. Simply the fact that you have to lather up etc. Since I am usually late anyways, I end up with an electric shave most workdays. I use the straight razor at least once a week, because it really improves the skin.

If you go with and oscillating head (like the Braun) instead of the rotating heads (Norelco), pay attention to the speed of the ocillation: As a general rule of thumb the faster the better. A few years back the Panasonics were way ahead of the game with around 11.000 ocillations/min. Essentially, the faster the oscillation the quicker you can draw the shaver over your skin and still not miss any hair.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

During the week I use a Braun. Never got used to the Philips. In the weekend I use a Wilkinson Quatro (?) once to remove the hairs the Braun missed. Never used a straight razor but I like the idea.
jbake

Post by jbake »

Panasonic. The one you can use while wet. I use it with shave gel.