What movie would you lose sleep over?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

pjrocco wrote:Good one Chad..

As for Movies:
Any Star Wars flick

TV:
Family Guy
(Love that cartoon)
Hey Rock!

Oh how did I forget THIS one...and two, and three, and... :D Hmmmm, it is apparent my Jedi powers are weakening my friend, I must inform the council at once! :o

Better add Twilight Zone, OLD StarTrek while I am here... :rolleyes:

God bless :)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

J Smith wrote:There are a few that I will watch anytime I catch them on.
Tremors,seen this one a good 200 times(100 times in the theater)
King of the Hill,love Dale.Anyone catch the one where he had all the knives on him,someone doing that show knows alot about knives.
Spirit of St Louis
Just about any John Wayne flick
Its a wonderful life
Any of the Vacation movies
Independence Day mainly because of Randy Quaid
Stargate SG1
Battlestar Galactica,trying to follow this one but it is hard.
I love any movie where the actors are just down to earth people.
Tremors really hits this home,seems like just a bunch of regular people doing what people with common sence would do.Some might say that Bert is over the top but I do know people just like him.
Aloha J Smith!

Tremors is on tonight on Sci-Fi. I dunno how the heck you follow Battlestar Galactica...I can't even follow their commercials! :o :p

God bless :cool:

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

DAYWALKER wrote:Aloha GC!

Ahhhh, a great flick also! I dunno if I wanna see the revised (destroyed?) version. One of my favorite parts is when they are riding into the tunnel and Wilder goes off," There's no earthly way of knowing...which direction we are going...is it raining, it it pouring, is a hurricane a blowing?" :p

Chad, I think there's very few of us out there on this one. And you can quote as well. :cool: You got it bad! As Malone said, seek professional help now! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="greencobra"]Chad, I think there's very few of us out there on this one. And you can quote as well. :cool: You got it bad! As Malone said, seek professional help now! ]
[quote="greencobra"]Chad, I think there's very few of us out there on this one. And you can quote as well. :cool: You got it bad! As Malone said, seek professional help now! ]

Aloha GC :D

What do you mean I have it bad? That film is a classic! I'd watch it right now but "there's so little to do and so much time...wait, scratch that, reverse it!"

Professional help? Nah! (Sung to the Oompa Loompa themes after the TV Kid):

"Where do you go when your blade has a------HOLE?"
"Where the Adventura beat all the Forum Knife-----POLLS!"
"Knife collecting, pictures, and a men-tal scar? For the latter look at Jim Malone's ava-tar! Here there's noooooooo, here there's nooooo, here there's noooooooo.....HERE THERE'S NO COM-MER-ER-CIALS!"
"Guntings, Dodos, CF Walker or two, Deacon's the Wise and trolls are a few! A "shrink" I don't need, I post here-when in a slump...."
"Unlike...Jim Malone's...avatar...showing a-crotch-BUMP!" :p :p :p

How about another H1 model GC? We'll call it the "Veruca Salt"? LOL!

God bless ;)

greencobra

Post by greencobra »

[quote="DAYWALKER"]Aloha GC :D

What do you mean I have it bad? That film is a classic! I'd watch it right now but "there's so little to do and so much time...wait, scratch that, reverse it!"

Professional help? Nah! (Sung to the Oompa Loompa themes after the TV Kid):

"Where do you go when your blade has a------HOLE?"
"Where the Adventura beat all the Forum Knife-----POLLS!"
"Knife collecting, pictures, and a men-tal scar? For the latter look at Jim Malone's ava-tar! Here there's noooooooo, here there's nooooo, here there's noooooooo.....HERE THERE'S NO COM-MER-ER-CIALS!"
"Guntings, Dodos, CF Walker or two, Deacon's the Wise and trolls are a few! A "shrink" I don't need, I post here-when in a slump...."
"Unlike...Jim Malone's...avatar...showing a-crotch-BUMP!" :p :p :p

How about another H1 model GC? We'll call it the "Veruca Salt"? LOL!

God bless ]
LOL too funny. No, no, don't take offense my friend. Just meant that when you mention that film and most people wave it off. Very few ever watched it till the end. A sleeping classic.
Titus

Post by Titus »

DAYWALKER wrote:Aloha GC!

Ahhhh, a great flick also! I dunno if I wanna see the revised (destroyed?) version. One of my favorite parts is when they are riding into the tunnel and Wilder goes off," There's no earthly way of knowing...which direction we are going...is it raining, it it pouring, is a hurricane a blowing?" :p

You mean the one with Michael Jackson as Willy Wonka?
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Titus wrote:You mean the one with Michael Jackson as Willy Wonka?
LMAO!!! :D :D :D

Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Reruns of M*A*S*H* used to do it for me but lately I've found sleep is a much better option. Coast to coast on the radio is somtimes intriging but I usally fall asleep quite quickly(monotone George) when it is on.

Now "time" with the wife definatly costs me some sleep. :eek:
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Ted

Post by Ted »

Shawshank Redemption (#2 on IMDB Top 250)

and

Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amelie) (#26 on IMDB Top 250)
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

I've always been a Monster movie / special effects buff, and I'll have to admit that I enjoyed watching on SciFi channel two of their "originals": Pterodactyl and IIR Sabretooth....pretty gory though! There are recurrent scenes in Pterodactyl where this soldier is getting "eaten alive" by the baby pterodactyls in their nest...I guess you've got to be sortuv morbid to enjoy this! :p Cool special effects though.
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

for movies I find myself watching Lost in translation if it comes on. Can't if the kids are still awake. I will get up at any hour to watch live F1 racing. Only available on 1 cable channel in the US (broadcast TV only carries Nascar and Cart/Irl) and normally it will be 6-7AM on the weekends. SPa is this weekend. Now if I was only there :D
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Ted

Post by Ted »

boxer93 wrote:for movies I find myself watching Lost in translation if it comes on. Can't if the kids are still awake. I will get up at any hour to watch live F1 racing. Only available on 1 cable channel in the US (broadcast TV only carries Nascar and Cart/Irl) and normally it will be 6-7AM on the weekends. SPa is this weekend. Now if I was only there :D
Chris
Ah yes, Lost In Translation. Having been fortunate to have travelled to Japan twice, this movie really captured this weird country. Thanks for reminding me, really need to see this one again. :)

About the F1, a co-worker visited the training today in Spa, but it was cancelled due to bad weather. I've once visited a F1, but only if you have very good seats, close to a chicane or a hair-pin it's worth it IMHO. I had a seat opposite of a straight piece on the track and seeing them pass by with 300km/h is not very exciting :( . The race is much easier to follow on TV.
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Ted wrote:. The race is much easier to follow on TV.
most racing is like that though. Now racing at Bristol thats another story.
Attachments
Bristoledit.JPG
Bristoledit.JPG (41.94 KiB) Viewed 1325 times
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Sonicboy

Scarface

Post by Sonicboy »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:I'll stay up for Scarface :)
Tony Montana?
you're IN the office....baby!!!! :D
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

boxer93 wrote:for movies I find myself watching Lost in translation if it comes on. Can't if the kids are still awake. I will get up at any hour to watch live F1 racing. Only available on 1 cable channel in the US (broadcast TV only carries Nascar and Cart/Irl) and normally it will be 6-7AM on the weekends. SPa is this weekend. Now if I was only there :D
Chris
Yeah! Gimme F1 or some of that international Rally racing for some Gran Turismo thrills! :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Senate

Post by Senate »

Ted wrote: Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain (Amelie) (#26 on IMDB Top 250)
Ted, if you liked Amelie you definitely want to watch the last movie from the same director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, it's called "Un long dimanche de fiançailles" in french (International title: A Very Long Engagement). Another great movie, set during WWI with some stunning visual sequence (trench battles..) and the same poetry in the story.

AS for the initial question, any movie in the IMDB top 250 is worth watching... :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

Senate wrote:Ted, if you liked Amelie you definitely want to watch the last movie from the same director Jean-Pierre Jeunet, it's called "Un long dimanche de fiançailles" in french (International title: A Very Long Engagement). Another great movie, set during WWI with some stunning visual sequence (trench battles..) and the same poetry in the story.

AS for the initial question, any movie in the IMDB top 250 is worth watching... :)
Aslo try City of Lost Children, Jeunet's best IMO.

I don't totally trust IMDB's 250, because sometimes it takes a while for a trend movie to fade off the list that won't belong there in a few years time. I think Sight and Sound has the best list out there, I think their list is more well developed and thought out as best movies out there of all time. I understand movies like Renoir's La Règle du jeu will not be well liked by the masses, so IMDB is more accurate for common movie watcher.
ASA NISI MASA
Senate

Post by Senate »

Justin, are you calling me "common watcher"? :D

the IMDB list isn't perfect (neither is my dvd list BTW) so I'll add a "more or less" at the end of the last phrase of my previous post... ;)
problem with dvd and home theater is you start judging a film on a visual and sound aspect too. I should make several lists :)
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
chinook

Post by chinook »

Very common viewer here...

Prolly number one would be "Arsenic and Old Lace" then "Red River" "Rio Bravo" "Nero Wolfe" (A&E) most of Jackie Chan's stuff. I'd stay up for the original "Thunderbirds" (strings and all) or any "Avengers" with Ms Peel.

I have yet to get all the way thru my copies of "City of Lost Children" or "Lost in Tranlation"
.><CHINOOK*>
Slvgx

Post by Slvgx »

[quote="Senate"]Justin, are you calling me "common watcher"? :D

the IMDB list isn't perfect (neither is my dvd list BTW) so I'll add a "more or less" at the end of the last phrase of my previous post... ]

Hahaha. No No Alexandre, I know you know your film stuff! I am not worthy of your collection! :D

I just get angry with IMDB's list at times. As an example, right now Memento is listed at #22. I enjoyed Memento but by no stretch of my imagination can I put Memento over Fritz Lang or Kurosawa classics such as M (#48), Metropolis (#89), Rashoman (#54) for example. There are other pop hits that are high up there, and I enjoyed them like most of the movie going public, but in 50 years they won't be remembered as a work of art like M/Metropolis/Rashoman/etc. will be.
ASA NISI MASA