Benchmade Skirmish or a Spydie chinook or Manix

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

severedthumbs wrote:I guess it is not worth protecting then.

So the large chamfers on the hole don't make a difference?
They do, but its still not ethical. Like Hob said. You buy what you want to buy, if you think a Loop hole is Acceptable, then buy that Skirmish, if you think they should respect Spyderco in general, then you dont.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Props to them for finding that loop hole.

how do you guys feel about the custom Skirmish?
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I’m not going to get into the aspects of whether or not the issue with the Skirmish is ethical or legal, as people on this thread and others have already addressed the issue in a way much better than I could.

I will say this:
IF Mr. Blackwood has said (as you have alleged) that the issue of the Skirmish is between Benchmade and Spyderco, then that statement (allegedly made by him) is pure hogwash. It is his name on that knife, and when he gave Benchmade permission to put his name on the knife, and use his design, then it became a Neil Blackwood issue, period. To suggest that; while his name is on the knife, and it is his design, but the issue at hand has nothing to do with him, points to a decided lack of character, and ethics. For you to say that such a statement is “good enough for you” demonstrates that such things as character and ethics are unimportant to you ,and therefore point out your lack of the same.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

severedthumbs wrote:He has stated this to several members on the USN. So if Neil says it I believe it, no questions asked.
A search on USN can't find one post where Neil Blackwood has used the word "Spyderco" :confused:

severedthumbs wrote:how do you guys feel about the custom Skirmish?
I don't really care who does it - a large manufacturer or an individual knifemaker. If they can't respect the intellectual property of others then I see little difference. Spyderco licences the round opening hole to many custom knife makes for a minimal fee. I'll reserve any business for those who show they have the integrity to use the intellectual property of others under licence and with recognition. You can see how Spyderco accomplishes this by checking out the Endura Wave - produced with Emerson's approval, recognition engraved on the blade and licence fees paid.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

from my own personal experience i have found it best to stear clear of benchmade in general. i personally dont care for the companies products for the most part, and their ethics seem to be lacking. however i do own a benchmade and have looked at a neck knife of theirs, perhaps making me a hypocrite, if it does so be it. but back to the issue at hand, i think that if mr. blackwood put his name on the product, that he should stand behind it, and except full responsibility for this, it is in fact his knife, and he is as much to blame as benchmade plain and simple. just my thoughts, take them as you will.

edited to add:
i should have specified better. i do like benchmades black series and some of the blue series. my main problem is w/ their red series which i find to be junk. they use cheap steels and sell them at the same price as companies who provide knives w/ better materials for a the same if not better prices. I find it hard to believe that they are willing to charge $80+ for 440c, its not worth it to me when vg-10 or h1 or aus8 etc. are available.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

I will tell you Neil is a stand up, honest guy, period. He is my favorite maker in the world and I trust what he says.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

severedthumbs wrote:Props to them for finding that loop hole.
Just because something is legal, doesn't make it right. Irregardless of the loop hole, what Benchmade ,and in turn Mr. Blackwood did was wrong. Just because you can find a “loop hole” around the trademark doesn’t make it okay to essentially “rip off” someone else’s trademark, or design. That is why many people on this forum have a problem with companies like Benchmade.

BTW:A "stand up guy" wouldn't have passed the issue off as "being between Spyderco and Benchmade". He may well be nice, personable, and even treat his customers well but, that doesn't make him "stand up".
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

severedthumbs wrote:I will tell you Neil is a stand up, honest guy, period. He is my favorite maker in the world and I trust what he says.
Then maybe he can explain how he can say that he uses the round opening hole with no trouble from Spyderco when Sal Glesser said "Spyderco has not heard from Benchmade or Neil regarding the design" when the Skirmish was first released. (I can provide the link if you wish)

I'm just been asking where Neil Blackwood made the statements you attribute to him :confused:

A stand-up, honest guy would respect another designer's trademark - wouldn't he? Is his use of the round opening hole licenced or not? Where does he say he has licenced it's use from Spyderco? Or is the champfer considered a loophole in the trademark which allows a maker to avoid licencing?

Severedthumbs - with respect, I'm not bashing Neil Blackwood, but I would like to read his answers to these questions rather than an answer attributed to him.

David
David

severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

There is no public comment by him to my knowledge. All I know is what I have been able to find on public forums. So lets lay it to rest. This is a very controversial topic that no good is going to come of us agruing over it. You guys made some very good points. Thanks for staying civil.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

severedthumbs wrote:Thanks for staying civil.
No problem!

David
David

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Look A post about me

http://benchmadeforum.com/ultbb/ultimat ... 6;t=000252

I am Knife Commumity E-popular

and Vinnypie, I have owned 2 Benchmades and 6 Spyderco's, not the same.
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Somebody started using the thumb STUD first, so does that mean that it is unethical to buy from any other person other than the first designer of the thumb stud. I think not. It's also my opinion that BM does not make "TRASH" knives (Especially Mr. Blackwood.) I own quite a few BM knives and they may not be "The Best" but come on "Trash" to me thats, how can I put this this, not a very smart statement. I do agree that their prices are high, but they still make a pretty good knife.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

BlackNinja wrote:Somebody started using the thumb STUD first, so does that mean that it is unethical to buy from any other person other than the first designer of the thumb stud. I think not. It's also my opinion that BM does not make "TRASH" knives (Especially Mr. Blackwood.) I own quite a few BM knives and they may not be "The Best" but come on "Trash" to me thats, how can I put this this, not a very smart statement. I do agree that their prices are high, but they still make a pretty good knife.
I used to know who invented the Thumbstud but it has passed me. i cant remember. IIRC, it was never registered or Trademarked like the Hole on a Spyderco, making it Open to anybody who wants to use it. The Hole is Spyderco, The Axis Lock is Benchmade. If you understand what I am saying.

i dont find benchmade to make a Good product, you can laugh at me or even call me crazy, I dont think it takes more than 1 knife to deterime the quality of a companys product. Its just the way i feel, I have every right to call any product trash if i want, No matter were I want on the internet. A Internet forum means Open Discussion. if i want to Say, benchmades G-10 sucks and Spydercos is Supirior, then I can, Or Vice -versa. If you then read my posts, you then can either decide is this guy for real or is he full of it.

I mean why would i waste my time typing, if I didnt mean what I am saying.
vinnypie

Post by vinnypie »

dearest vincent,

I currently own 6 BM's and one spyderco. Also various other brands. spyderco is the only knife I've ever lost due to a bad clip. I still bought another one. Different brands for different people. When I asked my dealer (who happens to be my neighbor) to recommend a quality knife for around 75 bucks, he said "benchmade"!!! I got a 556 mini-grip for 50 bucks. Hands down the best 50 dollar knife EVER!!!!!!!!!! I will still continue to purchase more spyderco's. They have some unusual designs that appeal to me. I'm a collector, I don't use all of my knives. I still want them to be ready if I need to use them. so quality is important.

And yes vincent, you DO bring down the quality of this forum. I hear intelligent discussion from people who are adamant about thier topic,and they don't use words like "suck" and "trash" to describe ANYTHING.

last but not least, please let me know where you'll be practicing medicine.I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
better to have a knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

vinnypie wrote:dearest vincent,

I currently own 6 BM's and one spyderco. Also various other brands. spyderco is the only knife I've ever lost due to a bad clip. I still bought another one. Different brands for different people. When I asked my dealer (who happens to be my neighbor) to recommend a quality knife for around 75 bucks, he said "benchmade"!!! I got a 556 mini-grip for 50 bucks. Hands down the best 50 dollar knife EVER!!!!!!!!!! I will still continue to purchase more spyderco's. They have some unusual designs that appeal to me. I'm a collector, I don't use all of my knives. I still want them to be ready if I need to use them. so quality is important.

And yes vincent, you DO bring down the quality of this forum. I hear intelligent discussion from people who are adamant about thier topic,and they don't use words like "suck" and "trash" to describe ANYTHING.

last but not least, please let me know where you'll be practicing medicine.I'M TOO YOUNG TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idk, Hopefully in 4 years. my gpa is 3.6 now and im an engineering student, so that is looking pretty good hopefully I can keep that GPA up, Engineering is a Killer. a 3.4 gpa so far in Bio and Chem, now just organic chemistry and a few more. and id like to stay in NYC if possible.

If you like BM thats fine, I think they dont make a good product and they service is poor at best. But like you said "Different brands for different people"

dont see how I bring down the forum, as I asked you for examples and you did not provide any under the name Vincent?

I find their products to be Trash as in Worthless
vinnypie

Post by vinnypie »

Dear sir,

Please use the english language when writing on this forum.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Vinnypie
vinnypie

Post by vinnypie »

Don't worry vincent I won't flush you. You're my favorite TURD.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

vinnypie wrote:Dear sir,

Please use the english language when writing on this forum.

Thank you for your cooperation,

Vinnypie
I dont see a rule or guideline on this forum, which requires memebers to speak in any given or required language.

così vada di nuovo alla vostra parte della tribuna del benchmade della merda
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

vinnypie wrote:Don't worry vincent I won't flush you. You're my favorite TURD.
non potreste irrigarli se provaste, perché cant lo avete battuto.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

BlackNinja wrote:Somebody started using the thumb STUD first, so does that mean that it is unethical to buy from any other person other than the first designer of the thumb stud.
BlackNinja

You need to take your example a little futher. What if Benchmade trademarked a Butterfly shaped thumbstud. Others could legally use the thumbstud but not one with a butterfly shape. In the case of the opening hole, others can and do use an opening hole, however the round shape is trademarked.

It's the unauthorized use of a round opening hole by Benchmade and Blackwood that I find objectionable - not the quality of Benchmade's product's.

David
David