Need help from a female Forumite

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jim Malone

Need help from a female Forumite

Post by Jim Malone »

My wife is "redecorating" a room in our house where i stock all my loose stuff.
I didn't paid much attention to it, because it seems to be her hobby to move stuff around. I don't really mind.

BUT

She was showing me the new room, and suddenly an strange feeling came over me.

When i tried to find my cardboard box with the empty Spyderco boxes in, the box was not in the room anymore.

I asked my very sweet wife where my box with knive boxes were?

She said, "oh you mean the box filled with those boxes from your knives?"

"yes dear"

"Oh i threw them away, they where all empty, i even checked every box to be certain that there where no knives inside!"

sigh
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Hannibal Lecter

So..

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Jim Malone wrote:"Oh i threw them away, they where all empty, i even checked every box to be certain that there where no knives inside!"
So, are you in the market for a contract killer, a new wife, or both? :D

Seriously, my condolences...

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

it is just boxes. I throw all mine away too.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Well, the weird thing is that i am not really angry at her, she is a good sweet wife, and she didn't realised that those boxes are not just boxes.

But

sigh......

If you see knives on Ebay "condition NIPB" It's me selling my knives, new in plastic bags :(
pjrocco

Post by pjrocco »

OUCH! :eek:

I tell my girlfriend to never touch any boxes or knives without permission or me being there....

I feel for you brother. :o
Rock
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I feel kinda bad laughing about it, but I am. I can totally see my girlfriend doing the same thing.

I don't think the box is all that important anyway. Maybe to a serious collector it is, but to the average collector its not that big of a deal. If I see a knife on Ebay that I want, and its brand new, the lack of a box is not going to be a deal breaker.

Of course I could be the exception.

You can have the boxes on most of my knives if you want them, most of my user knives go boxless on the shelf, and the boxes are sitting there nice and pretty, gathering dust. Though I doubt my boxes would be much help for you. :o

Don't blame the wife though, I guess she was just trying to help. At least she checked to make sure they were empty, that shows that she was trying to be careful.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Jim,

I feel for you. Just one of my recurrent nightmares that luckily haven't happened (yet). Father-in-law using a Ti Lum as a prybar being the worst of them.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Image Image Image Image Image
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Jim,
It's understandable that you're a bit upset, but smcfalls13 was right, at least she checked the boxes.

It's a little bit late now, but how about getting her involved in your passion for knives? She would then have a clear understanding of all the little details that are a part of it. Just a thought.

And by the way, the "need" to move things around is imprinted on our very being. As women we constantly have to organize and reorganize. It's just our nature. That's exactly why my husband has his office and I don't even go in there (most of the time, I'd be afraid to). It's totally his space, I just forget that it's even there! :D

Seriously though, see if she has an interest in knives. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Man, I feel for you...my sincere condolences. I can rationalize all day long that it's just boxes and spydies should be used. It's not that simple, I feel for you.

However, getting your girl interested in knives and Spyderco has its benefits. Your birthday presents and such will be all the more surprising ;)

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I tried really to get her interrested, i even gave her a blue Benchmade griptilian! :rolleyes: I found it on the floor of the car under the seats after a few weeks (that's why i didn't gave her one of my :spyder: ;) . I think she never even realised that she lost it.
She is really sweet, so she put it in her purse, but i'm shure ONLY just to please me.

I gave her all sort of things; knives , O.C sprays, led lights, a kubotan. They all slowly made their way to the bottom of her purse. When i gave her the griptilian she said , why do i need a knife for? If i need something cut i'll just ask you! :(

Sometimes when we are going out, i suddenly turn to her and ask her "what if i was a thug right now, and wanted to rob you"?

Then she starts digging in her purse so after 5 minutes she can show me the dinged and scratched up can of O.C.

Sigh............

i tried, oh i tried
JD Spydo

Grounds for Divorce

Post by JD Spydo »

Technically in my book that would be grounds for a divorce based on mental cruelty. Of course I am being funny and that is probably not funny but you must have the patience of JOB and the unconditional love of Mother Teresa to be able to shrug that off :o . I personally value some of my older boxes as much as I do the blades themselves. They are actually a "time capsule" of sorts when you really think about it ;) .

But look at this way my friend: NOW she owes you dearly to make for that one :D You might suggest all of the newer ZDP-189 models for starters ;) :spyder: ( notice I didn't sign my name to this one :rolleyes: )
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Just buy her flowers, chocolate, and tell her its not a big deal, and that you still love her anyway.

She'll NEVER make the same mistake again. Don't ask my why it works, but it does. :D

And at the very least, if you ever do anything comparably catastrophic to her stuff, at least you're still one up on her. ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Yeah that would be a bummer. I actually keep most of my knives in thier boxes. Makes it easier to identify later. Whats funny is when you buy a knife and it comes in the wrong box, I can understand from a private collector but this has happened from 2 LKS(local knife shop)'s.

Wheres your Avatar from?
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Tank

Post by Tank »

Sorry to hear that. That is a bummer.

I have tried to get my wife involved in my passion for knives but it just doens't work. When we hike and camp I have gotten her to carry a delica. But beyond that,, she just doesn't understand why I have/need more than just one.
She loves software so, I buy knives and she buys software. so it works out ok in the end.
-John
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

does she buy jewelery? put it loose on her side of the bed and hide the boxes in the garage.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
coffeeman

Oh sh***t

Post by coffeeman »

My condolences on you recent loss. I felt your loss.

I am lucky enough as Joyce can attest, that my wife also has a great love of knives, so that will never happen to me.
She knows that my knives are mine and will ask permission before touching them as I do if I want to touch hers. She also knows that if she keeps the boxes she can trade for other :spyder: for her brands.

If you really want your spouse to join with you passion, try getting her a mix of Spyderco and jewelry...a police necklace.
Special thanks to Bill W. for all of his inspiration and guidance.

Do you know Bill ?

One :spyder: for all and all :spyder: forum one!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: She threw out your boxes because she considers your interests silly and probably immature.
All too many women consider self-protection issues to be silly and paranoid untill they're sitting in a rape crisis clinic. It drives me crazy but you can't wake up a person who's pretending to be asleep.
Be glad she didn't throw away any of your silly knives. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
zeus

Post by zeus »

Just tell her to please ASK you before deciding to dispose of ANY of your things.

She is welcomed to move everything into an area for your inspection prior to disposal. :)

When I was a teenager, I wanted to re-read one of my comic books under my bed. I had a whole box of 'em from the sixties that my cousin had given to me.

No box to be found, I thought (hoped) my mother had moved them to the attic.
NOPE !

she tossed them!

Her response, "They were just old comic books" "what's the big deal?"