Well, what's up Samo?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
samosaurus

Well, what's up Samo?

Post by samosaurus »

Firstly, a BIG wholehearted "Terima Kasih" (Thank You in Malay) to all you folks who had nominated Samo for the Spyderco Mystery Contest! :D As some of you have already known, the past two years have taken a swing on Samo's career in journalism.. Been moved at least three times across the Stateline to report on daily news and rotated back to the world in August last year, got married with a beautiful wife and that's Mrs Samo! And yeah, continued to head back to the jungle.. Well, this time, Samo's been involved in several community projects to help a group of indigenous people in a remote location.. Plenty of offroad trucking, hiking and jungle bashing. As far as knives are concerned, there were plenty to go around. To help these folks, (Mostly Aboriginal People from the Temiar Tribe) Samo had came up with two care packages in the form of flashlights and pocket knives for them.. Oh well, enough with the talking.. Here are some highlights from Samo's walk in the jungle..

Bashin's it.. Samo on the go..
This village called "Halak" is one of our project-site..
Its inhabitants are mainly kids and old people..
This little guys are very shy and have seen few visitors from the outside world..
Temiar pooch keeps the village at the ready from frequent visitors like the Tiger and Wild Elephants..
Walking is the only way to get from one point to another...
There are plenty of scenic places along the way and this is one of them...

Sam
samosaurus

more pix..

Post by samosaurus »

Well, from April-August this yaer, our main focus was to train the indigenous folks in taking up organic-farming.. *heh-heh!* :D So, part of the care package tools includes some European folding pocket knives which Samo had picked up at a local sale..
One of the fixed blade was donated by a friend from Colorado... Samo purchased the Aitor slip-joints and kinetic-powered LED lights.
These in turn, were given to the men of the village as well as boys who helped their parents to farm in their land..
We were deeply touched by their effort in working towards a better standard of living...
But of course, life has its rewards if you take the chances.. *heh-heh!*
We've also brought piped water into this village.. :D
The blades which are used for farming as well as self-protection are crude, but effective..

Sam
samosaurus

more and more pix..

Post by samosaurus »

Oh well, besides Halak, Samo is also working at a project for the indigenous people at Post Gob.. Here's a re-cap..
Plenty of walking..
And river rafting to get from one point to another..
See what Samo meant?
These kids have met fewer than 50-visitors from the outside world..
Very curious kid..
These people live in a world which is worth protecting..
Their habitat are fast disappearing..

Sam
samosaurus

And more photos..

Post by samosaurus »

Samo spent a better quarter of this year to foster more understanding with the indigenous people.. Here are more photos..

The fishing's still good.. While it lasts..
Not for long..
Its frustrating when all the lust vegetation around you is being cut down for money..
But the destruction continues..
Timber like these, that is part of a water catchment area, are going..
And when they are gone... Rivers become silted and the land, barren..
Come what may, Samo felt that the indigenous people and their story is worth telling.. Oh well, that's all for now.. Thank you for your time.. :D

Sam
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Those are some thought provoking images you posted! I believe you could be right. Perhaps the story needs telling. In full. And continuously.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Hi Sam, wow man looks like a dream to do that work! That wood looks like red Meranti or Bankirai. it's indeed sad that tropical hardwood is beeing sold to us. The deforestation is going to cause floods and will wash away the thin layer of usuable farming land. Sad to see those people selling their future to feed their kids.

There should indeed be serious research done to either find a tropical hardwood that will grow fast ( but then it wouldn't be hardwood) or find some modern enviromently friendly artificial wood that has the same properties as these hardwood. Those Goloks (?) look very scary sharp, and i wouldn't wan't to meet a skilled user with one of these!

Keep up the good work, but buy those boys a few :spyder: Manix instead of those cheap knives :rolleyes:
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Thanks Samo,

Great pictures that unfortunately are telling a sad story.
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Jim Malone wrote:Hi Sam, wow man looks like a dream to do that work! That wood looks like red Meranti or Bankirai. it's indeed sad that tropical hardwood is beeing sold to us. The deforestation is going to cause floods and will wash away the thin layer of usuable farming land. Sad to see those people selling their future to feed their kids.

There should indeed be serious research done to either find a tropical hardwood that will grow fast ( but then it wouldn't be hardwood) or find some modern enviromently friendly artificial wood that has the same properties as these hardwood. Those Goloks (?) look very scary sharp, and i wouldn't wan't to meet a skilled user with one of these!

Keep up the good work, but buy those boys a few :spyder: Manix instead of those cheap knives :rolleyes:
Hey Mr Malone.. You have some good knowledge on tropical timber! Yeah, the Temiar tribesman is holding a "golok". These blades are as good as they get.. Speaking about cheap knives, those are as good as they get.. Out of Samo's own pocket.. :D

Sam
CKE

Post by CKE »

Samo, as usual your pics are worth more than a thousand words. Beautiful country I love it when you get behind the camera. Very nice of you to do that for the tribes. The kids are really cute. How do they get the newer fashions(The Rock T-shirt)??? People like you who go in and help them. Wish I had known you were going to do this...I would have sent some of my small folders I have.

Take Care...you are the man!

Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Beautiful pics, touching story.

Thanks for sharing with us that are stuck in the urban jungle(and nothing but open prairies when you get out of this jungle).

What're the import laws, if we wanted to donate some stuff?
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Samo

Great story and pictures!!! You're doing good work there.

As a retired forester, I'm always saddened to see forests harvested in such an unmanaged way, with the only consideration being immediate profit rather than long-term benefits.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

The thing is that the indigineous people are not the problem, but the big multinationals who come to harvest the wood and leave a "scorched earth" behind.
Modest deforrestation is needed as is controlled burning to give the sprouts light and place to grow.
There should be an international law on the destruction of these forrests. WE need them to breath!
They did the same with the elephant and the whale and after 25 years the elephant population is ready to be moderatly harvested again, and so are the whales.

Although it will take much longer to grow these giants back i hope one day there will be an international treaty to protect our earth against abuse.

Now this doesn't mean i am a treehugger or i am against harvesting animals for food and clothing, but it should be done by long term visionairs and not quick $ guys.

In All Samo, keep up the good work man, one day the world will hopefully understand that we should all take our own responsability and by the work of Samo and many others we will get there.

Oh btw Samo, is it possible to buy those goloks in the local hardwarestore? I would love to have an original one, and for an honest price everyone would be pleased.

I am up for one :D . Most people don't know but these knives are the SAK's of the forrest. Food preparation, fine cutting, light and medium meditation, SD, all in one handy package!
rickh

Post by rickh »

Hey Samo, great photographs. Thanks for sharing them along with the story. Your doing a great job helping those people. Keep up the good work and stay safe.
Fall seven times, stand up eight (Japanese Proverb)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

gorgeous, inspirational pictures, man! thanks for sharing them! :) :) :)
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Oh btw Samo, is it possible to buy those goloks in the local hardwarestore? I would love to have an original one, and for an honest price everyone would be pleased.
Well, Samo'll have to head down to the local hardware store and hopefully, pick up one of Mr Malone..
Something like this perhaps?

Sam
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Sam - Good to hear from you again in such detail! Your work and inspiration are priceless! I sure have been missing you BIG TIME here! Many of the new members will not know that you once were the "Nestor" of the "old" Forum and that you was the first one to hit 4000 posts! After that ........ many things changed for Samo and you turned most of your attention to more serious things of which we all witness the proof here!
Sam you're still young and wild and in my eyes "The King of the Forum". Come back and visit more often with pics and stories.
See Ya! :)
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

Thanks so much for sharing those pics and that story!

I also agree that places like that are so worth saving. I wish I had enough money to buy land like that just so it could stay the way it is. In fact, if I was very wealthy I would buy as much land as I could so it would stay untouched.

I love seeing hand made knives that are very utilitarian. They get the job done. :) Keep us posted.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

That would be fantastic! :D
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Sam your a cool dude! Thanks for sharing. that is truly awesome country, it is sad to see deforestation on such a huge scale. It happened in California in the early 20th century and now we are left wih just a few old growth forests. And sadly the natives were displaced, or killed. The last great forests in northern california are protected now. But many forest lands regenerated after clear cutting and some of these second growth forest are as grand as old growth, now. That work you are doing is very worthy.
BBRex

Post by BBRex »

Keep up the good work, Sam. Those places are worth saving, and the people there need the story to be told.

-Bryan