Yet another forum knife pole.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which knife would you like.

Any color G-10 delica 500 units
19%
Any color G-10 native 300 units
40%
Any color G-10 paramilitary 300 units
27%
swick units unknown
10%
None of the above
5%

Total votes: 81

spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Vincent wrote:Ok um,

To close the native or delica, you have to change hands and press down the lock.

No one hand closing.

I take these as negitive aspects.

The Para can be closed with 1 hand, if you are right handed, like the majority are.

Those being left handed maked absolutly no difference, from a Lackback lock on the native or delica. You still have to switch the hand and disengage the lock.

and if you are skilled enogh you can close the para left handed also.

so this whole ambedextrious stuff is garbadge.

As for the price.

Just save youre money for 3 months, we arent getting this knife soon. It will be near the end of the year, so just dont buy anymore knives and save.

1 Military is worth more to me than 3 Delicas. I dont know about you guys, but it is to me.

The whole price thing is crazy, to complain about. some people here have more than 5 knives. I say that in its own right is crazy and if you have more than 5, you can easily save up $200 for a knife.
Pulease! Enough of this tripe! Please talk out of the correct orifice and use your brain as a filter. Let us know when you have owned and carried at least 3 different Spydies.

One handed closure with a back-lock is as simple as pie. With either hand. Can anyone contort to close a compression lock or liner lock with a left hand? Of course. Is it easy, convenient or ergonomic to do so? Not at all.

A valid arguement based in knowledge and experience is much more respected and effective. Make your point but back it up with some substance. And stop trolling! We all want a nice, unique forum knife. We have a common goal. Will everyone be happy? No. Could Vincent be happy with a unique Native? I will bet he could. I personally will be happy with any forum knife. Even a Mili. :D
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

Any color G10 Native for me.

I'm also fine with any color FRN Native.

I'm fine with a plain FRN Native with an etching on the blade. :D

Hey.....whatever is easiest and works the best for The Spyderco Factory.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

spyderknut wrote:Pulease! Enough of this tripe! Please talk out of the correct orifice and use your brain as a filter. Let us know when you have owned and carried at least 3 different Spydies.

One handed closure with a back-lock is as simple as pie. With either hand. Can anyone contort to close a compression lock or liner lock with a left hand? Of course. Is it easy, convenient or ergonomic to do so? Not at all.

A valid arguement based in knowledge and experience is much more respected and effective. Make your point but back it up with some substance. And stop trolling! We all want a nice, unique forum knife. We have a common goal. Will everyone be happy? No. Could Vincent be happy with a unique Native? I will bet he could. I personally will be happy with any forum knife. Even a Mili. :D
1st of all an orifice is a Hole or opening on a persons body. so what are you talking abou.

I have owned, 2 para, 2 Militarys. 1 delica, 1 Endura, 2 Calypso jr's. 2 Benchmade 705 and 1 Benchmade 710.

I currently have
1 Para
1 MIlitary
1 710

again who and what is trolling. Why is me bassing my Opinion whatever it is, considered trolling. Why doesnt everything have to be one view.

I have never been able to open a Lockback knife 1 handed. Maybe my hands are to big, but I just havent been able to do it.

Thogh the Para I can close easily with both hands, one handed.

the Military is also, able to close one handed much easier than a lock back.

If you can close a lockback one handed, Id love to see a movie of this.

and i would not buy a native forum knife.
Titus

Post by Titus »

Vincent wrote: If you can open a lockback one handed, Id love to see a movie of this.
:rolleyes: You must have really big hands.
Titus

Post by Titus »

boxer93 wrote:Titus,
For cost there are no existing G10 natives or delicas to compare the PM price to. Some of us, me included would buy multiples. If offered in different blade configurations SE,PE multiples for sure, and if Red or Blue G10, I would probably not have to get the next custom done I was contemplating. As for ambedextrious and tip up those are fairly easy mods compared to new scales of Spyderco quality. Also if a deposit/prepay was implemented then Spyderco would know if it's a viable effort to produce them.
My 3 cents US.
Chris
You're right G-10 will raise the price. But they will still be much less money.
Vincent

Forum

Post by Vincent »

fo·rum Audio pronunciation of "forum" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fôrm, fr-)
n. pl. fo·rums, also fo·ra (fôr, fr)

1. The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
2. A public meeting place for open discussion.
3. A medium of open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper or a radio or television program.
2. A public meeting or presentation involving a discussion usually among experts and often including audience participation.
3. A court of law; a tribunal.

key Word Open

If this is a place for discussion, in only one view then it should not be called a Forum. Because its not if everybody can not openly discuss their opinions.
Childe Roland

Post by Childe Roland »

Vincent wrote:
If you can open a lockback one handed, Id love to see a movie of this.

Vincent, while I have no movie, I know I can easily close ANY lockback knife one-handed. I'm willing to bet that everyone else on this forum can as well.
(I assume you meant close instead of open.)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I dont have one hear to try. I have had a few, I never even tried.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Childe Roland wrote:Vincent, while I have no movie, I know I can easily close ANY lockback knife one-handed. I'm willing to bet that everyone else on this forum can as well.
(I assume you meant close instead of open.)

yeah I ment close.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

As others have mentioned above, I find closing a lockback one-handed to be no problem at all!! A blue g-10 BladeForums Native is my EDC and before than I carried a Delica. I KNOW, from experience, that either one can easily be closed one-handed. They are certainly no more difficult to close than a compression lock one-handed (and I carry my Lil' Temp often so I also know, from experience, how hard a compression lock is to close)

One factor which hasn't seen much discussion here it that the ParaMilitary is right-hand, tip-down carry only. Both the Delica and Native are right or left-hand, tip-up carry. The tip-up carry is another reason why I carry a Native.

I don't think any one of these knives is "better" than the others. It's a matter of which has the features that you personally prefer (and which you would buy as a Forum Knife).

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I have My opinion.

I want the para to be the forum knife, So I will keep talking about it and trying my best to get it selected as the forum knife, because its the best for my needs. I like Tip down carry, I wear big pants and it allows faster deployment for me.

Like I said Its good for My needs which are the Priority for me. I thoght this was a democratic process, with the free vote.

I still see the para as in Possible knife. Just like Howard Dean was a Possibility for the election in 2004. But when dean was no longer a possibility, people changed their vote to the 2nd best option for them.

My 2nd best vote for ME will be the delica.

PS: I never thoght dean had a shot. It was Bush from Day 1.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

But whatever the forum Knife is.

Their should be, just so many knives that are actually the forum knife. Just enogh to cover all who really want it.

maybe those who put down the deposit

Then the rest of the run would and could just be a Limited edition run.

maybe the forum knife would have a special clip or somthing small that can make it more special.

such as, 150 forum knives and 150 Limited knives. or 100/200.

But I do think the people who pay down in full for the forum knife should have first Dibs on the forum knife and the Number they want if Possible.
druid

I'm sorry I think I got used

Post by druid »

Originally posted this thread without a paramilitary Vincent P.m.ed me and asked me to add the paramilitary. Unfortunately due to my gullibility this poll seems to be turned into a soap box for the paramilitary. Personally have no interest in the paramilitary has a forum knife. Sincere apologies.Andrew.M

p.s. Before even read this thread after work, I read a P. M. from one of the administrators asking whether wanted to unstick this thread. Actually at this point I think just locking the threated would do the trick.
why
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Don't get me wrong.

I love the Para. It is a great knife and I'd be perfectly happy with it as a forum knife.

I just don't like seeing a BS arguement in its favor. I am right handed. I'd love to see video of V routinely opening and closing the PM with one left hand.

I gotta give V a little credit. He is not championing his favorite, the Military. He's consistent and persistent. Certainly he has a right to express his opinion.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
druid

Post by druid »

For me the easiest knives to close when handed our liner locks followed by frame locks followed by lock backs and last compression locks where the blade and have nasty habit of freefalling onto my finger. And I never even considered the lefthanded angle.
why
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

druid wrote:Originally posted this thread without a paramilitary Vincent P.m.ed me and asked me to add the paramilitary. Unfortunately due to my gullibility this poll seems to be turned into a soap box for the paramilitary. Personally have no interest in the paramilitary has a forum knife. Sincere apologies.Andrew.M

p.s. Before even read this thread after work, I read a P. M. from one of the administrators asking whether wanted to unstick this thread. Actually at this point I think just locking the threated would do the trick.
See thats the point, Just because a Knife is not in your best interest, doesant mean Its not a worth knife.

Different knives for different people.

Anyway the Para Military has shown that people are interested in it.

Even more than the delica.

so should it not have a spot.
dialex

This poll is zero

Post by dialex »

There is a problem with this poll. I see the charts, but I can't see the voters (like on the other one). Therefore, it's not relevant, at least for me. You can make a zillion accounts and influence the poll the way you like, sorry.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

dialex wrote:There is a problem with this poll. I see the charts, but I can't see the voters (like on the other one). Therefore, it's not relevant, at least for me. You can make a zillion accounts and influence the poll the way you like, sorry.

Very true but then again, alot of 1st time mebers are coming from blade forums, just to vote and dont really take action on the forum.
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I'm still fuzzy on the whole "Para is more expensive than Native" thing.

It will definately be more expensive than a Delica.

The Para may be a bit more expensive due to the compression lock, but the Native will be packing G-10 and S30V, same as the Para.

I think if cost is a concern the Delica should be compared to the Para and Native.

Or better yet, all of them compared to the Swick.

As far as the ambi thing is concerned. I wonder how difficult it would be to drill whichever forum knife for four way carry. I think this is how the majority of Spyderco's lineup is going to look in the future anyway, might as well get started early.

Personally, I don't have any interest in a G-10 Native. It has already been done once as a forum knife. I would rather see another model tried, just to see something different and get a new forum knife flavor.

I also have a FRN Native and I can't see the benefit of putting G-10 handles on it. Right now I can get S30V in an economical, light weight, slim, and ergonomic model. The blade is 1/8" thick and has a more fragile point due to the swedge grind. I could see the benefit of added G-10 strength if the blade was made a bit thicker, but with the current model specs I don't think G-10 would offer a performance boost.

Oh yeah, I can close a lock back quite easily with one hand. I can also close a comp lock quite easily with my left.

I personally don't see why all Spyderco models don't come with four way/tip up/tip down clips. Function first, right?

In the past the forum model hasn't always been lefty friendly (Military). It'd be nice if we could arrange to have whichever knife we pick ambi and tip up/down.

-Bryan
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

VultureParade wrote:I'm still fuzzy on the whole "Para is more expensive than Native" thing.

It will definately be more expensive than a Delica.

The Para may be a bit more expensive due to the compression lock, but the Native will be packing G-10 and S30V, same as the Para.

I think if cost is a concern the Delica should be compared to the Para and Native.

Or better yet, all of them compared to the Swick.

As far as the ambi thing is concerned. I wonder how difficult it would be to drill whichever forum knife for four way carry. I think this is how the majority of Spyderco's lineup is going to look in the future anyway, might as well get started early.

Personally, I don't have any interest in a G-10 Native. It has already been done once as a forum knife. I would rather see another model tried, just to see something different and get a new forum knife flavor.

I also have a FRN Native and I can't see the benefit of putting G-10 handles on it. Right now I can get S30V in an economical, light weight, slim, and ergonomic model. The blade is 1/8" thick and has a more fragile point due to the swedge grind. I could see the benefit of added G-10 strength if the blade was made a bit thicker, but with the current model specs I don't think G-10 would offer a performance boost.

Oh yeah, I can close a lock back quite easily with one hand. I can also close a comp lock quite easily with my left.

I personally don't see why all Spyderco models don't come with four way/tip up/tip down clips. Function first, right?

In the past the forum model hasn't always been lefty friendly (Military). It'd be nice if we could arrange to have whichever knife we pick ambi and tip up/down.

-Bryan
I like this guy.

But yeah, I think the para and the native will be in the same range.

Give the Native s30v and a Custom G-10 handle.

To me that sounds like a Para MIlitary, with a different lock and a different blade.

dont know how much cheaper it will be.