watches

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Stormdrane wrote:I got a 'refurbished' Luminox Navy Seal watch on ebay from the Sharper Image($80 + s/h). Refurbished means most likely that one of the tritium lights didn't work on the assembly line so they replaced it and that means they can't sell it as new, otherwise the watch is new.
Just a few questions;
Is it marked or tagged refurbished in some way?
How do you get a black one, just get lucky? (It says they choose the color.)
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane »

[quote="ROM831"]Just a few questions]
The watch wasn't marked or tagged, it looks brand new, the case the watch came in was scuffed a bit, and it came with the plain rubber band instead of the logo/nylon but I already had the Zulu band so it was getting replaced anyway. I got lucky with getting the black watch face, but I didn't really care what color I got when I ordered since the price was less than half off retail. Ive bought refurbished items before and have never had a problem.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

If I knew I could get a black one for the BIN $65 they are showing I'd jump on it.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

Those Seiko 5's are really sharp looking! As a kid my Dad would allways buy me a wind up watch, he thought batteries were no good, when I got older he gave me the Rolex watch his Dad gave him before he shipped out for Vietnam which I still have, unfortunately I've developed a nickel allergy which makes wearing a stainless watch painfull and the affordable titanium watches (all of which have stainless backs arrrggghhh!) unwearable, unless of course I want painfull burn like blistering all over my lower arm/wrist. I guess I need to buy some kind of clip on watch for a belt loop, poor substitute.
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
rickh

Skagen

Post by rickh »

I agree with Doc. One of my watches is a Skagen from Denmark. Its classy without being too ornate. Just a good clean design without a bunch of bells and whistles, not to mention its also a great watch for the money. Check em out.
Fall seven times, stand up eight (Japanese Proverb)
Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane »

WOTANSON1 wrote:Those Seiko 5's are really sharp looking! As a kid my Dad would allways buy me a wind up watch, he thought batteries were no good, when I got older he gave me the Rolex watch his Dad gave him before he shipped out for Vietnam which I still have, unfortunately I've developed a nickel allergy which makes wearing a stainless watch painfull and the affordable titanium watches (all of which have stainless backs arrrggghhh!) unwearable, unless of course I want painfull burn like blistering all over my lower arm/wrist. I guess I need to buy some kind of clip on watch for a belt loop, poor substitute.
Perhaps you could try something like the Zulu watch band. It has 2 layers of nylon running under the back of the watch so skin contact if any is eliminated. They come in several colors and in 20mm and 22mm sizes.
Attachments
wb2.jpg
wb2.jpg (70.1 KiB) Viewed 1062 times
wb1.jpg
wb1.jpg (64.08 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

That's a thought, got to check it out and Thanks!!
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have been wearing a Luminox CF steel seal for about 2 years now.It is the best watch I have ever had.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
HoB

Post by HoB »

WOTANSON1 wrote:unfortunately I've developed a nickel allergy which makes wearing a stainless watch painfull and the affordable titanium watches (all of which have stainless backs arrrggghhh!) unwearable, unless of course I want painfull burn like blistering all over my lower arm/wrist. I guess I need to buy some kind of clip on watch for a belt loop, poor substitute.
What a wonderful excuse to by a Ti ATR!!!!! I envy you!!!

Well affordable is very relative, but again I recommend the Ti Ecozilla, 100% Ti no ifs buts and whens, coated and surprisingly scratch resistance, and a rubber strap, where you won't mind the rubber anymore (its oversized like the rest of the watch). Can be had for $300. Not cheap but on the lower end as far as Ti watches go.
hanswurst

Post by hanswurst »

hi stormdrane,
thanks for the info on the luminoxes. just ordered me a cf/steel. my old one is pretty beat up from snorkeling in the kapoho tidepools (i'm sure daywalker knows those) and 2 years of construction work.

marco
silverback

Post by silverback »

How about reading and maybe posting in the "poor man's watch forum?":
http://www.pmwf.com/

Other than that the russian company Vostok makes some fine looking automatic watches. For that price it's almost impossible to get an automatic watch, of course they're not as precise as a Rolex... ;)
Some are very "cold-war-era-retro", but the new designs are cool imho.
Had a quick look on ebay USA, check some out I liked:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-ROCKET-N1-By-Vo ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/VOSTOK-K-43-RETRO-W ... dZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSIAN-MILITARY-AU ... dZViewItem

Are you hopelessly confused now? I know I am! :D
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I like the K43 but the last ones looks like it was intended for US export.
I can't figure out why some companies are not going to Russia instead of China to set up manufacturing plants.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
dialex

Post by dialex »

I guess the political (and social) instability keeps the foreign investors away.
OTOH, russian watches are OK. They are pretty tough, used to wear one myself in highschool (the brand was "Poljot" - it means Pilot in Russian). I heard US Militaries were given russian watches during the Gulf war.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

alright, lots of good info here, but for the record i am lost now. I figured id get one or two replies. This is a lot to take in at once. Guess im going to shop around, i have plenty of opitions it looks like. thanks again,
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

VWTattoo

A few watch ideas for you, Irish!

Post by VWTattoo »

If you want to get something cool, unique, and classy, do and eBay search on the following keyword combos: 1. German Military Watch ;2. Invicta Diver watch MOP ; 3. Aeromatic 1912; 4. EOD Watch ;5 Stocker and Yale.

Lots and lots to choose from!!! :eek:

I just ordered an Invicta 2845 Diver w/ Black MOP face, and green bezel, 21 Jewel auto. movt., 200M,Tritnite luminescent markers, and see thru rear case. I also have a matching Rayskin band on order as well- green rayskin! :eek:
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
Senate

Post by Senate »

I think I'm gonna buy a POLJOT, they say it's top quality for the $$$.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Several years ago, when I made Sgt, I bought myself a "promotion present"! ;) I'd always liked watches, but had lusted after an Omega Seamaster. So I bought myself one! :cool:

Funny, but I just don't seem to have the same interest once I'd reached the pinnacle. :o .............................Hope I can never afford an Anniversary Delica!! :eek:

God bless.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
silverback

Post by silverback »

[quote="Simon G"]Several years ago, when I made Sgt, I bought myself a "promotion present"! ]
Yes, there's something to be said about getting the best quality item, even if you have to save money and wait until you can afford it. The satisfaction in the years to come far outweighs the momentary pain when you have to pay a lot initially.
I hope this thought doesn't complicate matters for Irish Lager... :D
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
rotbimmer

Post by rotbimmer »

I concur with VW Tattoo. I’m kind of a watch guy too, and I really love the Invicta Products. Most models are all SS construction, they all seem to have very good movements, and mineral crystals are the norm. Besides that, the prices are always good for the Invicta line on eBay.

I’ve worn the same Rolex watch since 1983. It’s never kept good time, even after a thorough overhaul. My money is on Invicta. :D

Thanks for the great :spyder: forum ladies and gentlemen. I don’t often post, but I’m a faithful reader, and get good ideas and advice from this place.

My brother, VW Tattoo gave me my first Spyderco, which is also my only Spyderco at this time. It’s a beautiful red Salsa. I know there are many who don’t really like the Salsa, but I find it my favorite daily carry at this time. I was a sucker for the pepper! Scott’s gotten me to see the light. I get really excited for him whenever he buys a new Spyderco and he shows it to me. I never get to see one from the box though……he’s too quick with the Flitz.

Oh well, as soon as the cash flow dam breaks in my house, I’ll be purchasing a few new Spydies. I think a Centofante II should be next.
Take your time.......Rome wasn't built during the day.
VWTattoo

Ha! He posts!

Post by VWTattoo »

Alright- Eric made it to Post 2 ! LOL.. Just kidding, bro! You forgot to mention how you acquired your "dusty" Dragon Lupah, which is a gorgeous watch. It's just a bit too large for my "girlie" wrists, which prompted me to pass it along to Eric. All the inmates at Rotbimmer's prison would crow over the watch, especially when he still had the Red leather band on it! :D " Yo, Mr. R- How can I get me a watch like that?" I think that's why he got another color band for it, actually!

Watches are a funny thing- no matter how many I have, I always wish I could wear more than one at a time, kinda like Spydies, except I can usually tote multiple Spydies.There are so many great watch choices out there right now, it's hard to pick just one to buy. Let us know how you make out, Irish! The watchaholics need to know what you decide on! :)
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?