It's a Cold Steel

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="dialex"]Hi Chad, nice new toy you got there. It's good looking and seems funtional, despite the fact it's made out of plastic (well, AFAIK, Grivory is a Zytel cousin).
Frankly, CS knives don't quite turn me on (well, maybe one or two of them) ]

Hey my busy brother!

Yeah, plastic shmastic, this thing is still dangerously fun! ;) Ahhhh, you speak of the Scottish Dirk! THAT one is nice, but the store didn't have it. :( Maybe more cops came in and bought it to train with on each other? :p I had the REAL steel version in Carbon V, but I gave it away. Had I known your liking for it, I'd have traded you for your Rambo Knife minus the bulbous compass! :rolleyes: :p :D

God bless you bro, take care, and get some rest please.
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Hey there DW,
I'm just back from vacation and this is the first thread that caught my eye in a whole bunch of catching up I need to do.

Interesting.... I admit it looks very good, it's beefy and I have a little something for low maintenance tools. I just find it funny that they would take all that time to write a 2 page article in their 2003 (I believe) catalog about how useless karambits and explain why they don't make one....to finally decide to go after that market anyway.

I bet it's a good/afordable optio for beginners in the karambit practice and can be turned into a trainer rather quickly. Thanks for the review.

-Dean
jaislandboy

GGGrivory blades?

Post by jaislandboy »

Hey Daywalker, how does the Grivory blade perform (cutting/slicing)? Any soda can slash tests with your new toy? :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:Hey there DW,
I'm just back from vacation and this is the first thread that caught my eye in a whole bunch of catching up I need to do.

Interesting.... I admit it looks very good, it's beefy and I have a little something for low maintenance tools. I just find it funny that they would take all that time to write a 2 page article in their 2003 (I believe) catalog about how useless karambits and explain why they don't make one....to finally decide to go after that market anyway.

I bet it's a good/afordable optio for beginners in the karambit practice and can be turned into a trainer rather quickly. Thanks for the review.

-Dean
Aloha Jimmy Dean!

LOL! Yeah, I think I still have that catalog regarding *Karambits*! :D

This CS thing can be dulled and mods can be easily made to make it a suitable trainer. The Kraton handle feels kinda neat on it...

Thanks for reading and God bless :cool:

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

jaislandboy wrote:Hey Daywalker, how does the Grivory blade perform (cutting/slicing)? Any soda can slash tests with your new toy? :)
Aloha jaislandboy!

I know I can cut fruit and other "soft stuff" with it...don't think I can soda can slash it, but it'll definitely go *through* one for sure! :D

I wonder whatever happened to those cops... :confused: :eek:

God bless :cool:

jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Aloha DW,
I appreciate your reply; I always wondered if the zytel/grivory "knives" could really cut (like cardboard); btw I got to see the "more proof" dvd (was a freebie from ordering a Dodo from Island Security Store) and kinduv enjoyed watching it :p even though it's got some "cheesy" parts to it; my buddy got a Spike tanto neck knife recently and what impressed me the most was how thick the spine was/ real sharp too, but not :spyder: -sharp!
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Chad, that was a sweet one :) The "Rambo bulbo" knife is still stuck in a pot of flowers somewhere. Still no rust on it :) Could it be made out of H1 ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

Nice catch Chad! :cool: :spyder: :cool:

Sam
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="jaislandboy"]Aloha DW,
I appreciate your reply]

Aloha jaislandboy!

Hey, mine can "cut" cardboard...more like ya gotta sorta use a sawing motion, but it cuts. Not nicely either... :p

Ahhhh, the Spike. Gave my tanto version away. THICK is right, but not too comfortable for what it's intended purpose is for. ;)

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="dialex"]Hi Chad, that was a sweet one :) The "Rambo bulbo" knife is still stuck in a pot of flowers somewhere. Still no rust on it :) Could it be made out of H1 ]

LOL! Hey KnifeBro! "Rambo Bulbo" knife, huh? :D

Yeah, mine is outside somewhere too...probably somewhere in my shed. H1? Amazingly, with all that "Bulbo" knife has been through, I wouldn't be surprised! ;)

God bless :)

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

samosaurus wrote:Nice catch Chad! :cool: :spyder: :cool:

Sam
Mahalo Samo Ridah!

It's still pales in comparison of that one you're holding in your "other" avatar! :D ;)

God bless buddy :cool:

samosaurus

Post by samosaurus »

[quote="DAYWALKER"]Mahalo Samo Ridah!

It's still pales in comparison of that one you're holding in your "other" avatar! :D ]

*heh-heh!* I've sold the Zombie-Killa to a friend.. Its in his care now.. :D yer collection of Kerambits are impressive!

Sam
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

You know what I find so amusing? Right now, I’m looking at the article in they’re “Fall 2003 Special Projects” catalog, in which they totally bash the Karambit.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: The arguments against not the kerambit per se but the kerambit <hype> as an end all be all knife are valid. Some of the traditional silat flippy extended grips are just plain silly and non-functional but so many just needed to have one because prominant knife players touted them.
The design is powerful but the twirly applications really border upon non-functional onanism. :spyder:
train hard and stay safe, Mike.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

ha, michael -- i love how you used the word "onanism" !!!
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Hey guys, I have a fgx and really like it. It's a great stash anywhere self defense tool, Sometimes I even shower with it ( I don't live in the best part of town). Hey J Dean, I was wondering why CS came out with a karambit after reading the 2003 catalog to. A nd Micheal Cook, I have to disagree with your comment on the extended grip. I study a japanese syle and there are movements where the extended grip works perfect. I also have two folding karambits from smith and wesson. The quality is'nt the best but they are really nice designs and at a really good price too. Who makes thier knives, is it Fury? I am really a big fan of the hawkbill, especially with a finger ring. My first was a Merlin I picked up when they first came out and it is still going strong, I also have a Matriarch. I'm hoping that CS will come out with a steel version of the fgx. :cool:
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

ronin203 wrote:Hey guys, I have a fgx and really like it. It's a great stash anywhere self defense tool, Sometimes I even shower with it ( I don't live in the best part of town). Hey J Dean, I was wondering why CS came out with a karambit after reading the 2003 catalog to. A nd Micheal Cook, I have to disagree with your comment on the extended grip. I study a japanese syle and there are movements where the extended grip works perfect. I also have two folding karambits from smith and wesson. The quality is'nt the best but they are really nice designs and at a really good price too. Who makes thier knives, is it Fury? I am really a big fan of the hawkbill, especially with a finger ring. My first was a Merlin I picked up when they first came out and it is still going strong, I also have a Matriarch. I'm hoping that CS will come out with a steel version of the fgx. :cool:
Aloha Ronin203,

Interesting...but no, Taylor Cutlery makes the S&W line...Fury is Joy Enterprises. Say, would it be possible to see these S&W Karambits? Hmmmmmmmmmm....

ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Hey Daywalker, I'd love to post some pics but I am unable to do so. One of them is in the Atlanta cutlery catalog and the other I got off the knifecenter website. They were only about 30 bucks each with s&h. Their not bad little knives. One is a frame lock with the urban camo finish, the other is a liner lock with a bead blast finish. I think the frame lock is the stronger of the two. :spyder:
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Hey again Daywalker, if you want to see those S&W karambits go to kaligear.com :cool:
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

just ordered one the other night. for the price, it cant be passed up. i personally dont have anything against CS other than i think they are usually overpriced on knives. i have a Trail Guide that i have abused for about a year and for the $18 i paid for it, its quite the knife. I used to have a Recon 1 Tanto CE, but traded it in towards my dodo. But this fgx series looks pretty neat, and there not that expensive so why not. Still i like my spyderco's.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder: