Contact Lenses

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Simon G

Contact Lenses

Post by Simon G »

:D :D :D :D :cool:

Afer wearing glasses for some 33 of my 37 years, I looked at contact lenses as I was fed up with prescription sunglasses and wanted a proper pair! :(

I'm now typing this whilst wearing them!!! :D :D What a revelation! I have even been and bought a proper pair of sunglasses!

Sorry fellas if this is of no interest to those that have never had to wear glasses, but I can't tell you how excited I am! :D

Now I'm just waiting for the sun to shine!..................Typical Brit summer, raining! :mad:
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Hannibal Lecter

You Waited So Long?

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Good day, all.

I have worn corrective lenses since 4th grade and hated every minute of it. I switched to contacts right after High School graduation and have never looked back.

Good call, my friend. You won't regret it.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

I'm also considering that as well. I've been wearing glasses for longer than that, and they finally will have some soft contacts strong enough. I'm planning to try them this fall when they come in. And yes, I can understand how excited you are :D

- gord
BBRex

Post by BBRex »

I have bad eyesight, and contacts correct my vision sooo much better than glasses ever did. And my wife still doesn't understand my sunglass jones. :p
clovisc

i'll sure miss them...

Post by clovisc »

yea -- i remember when i made the switch from glasses to contacts. suddenly i could see more clearly, girls liked me, not nearly as many worries, self-confidence boosted... the world became a better place.

gotta switch back to glasses when i move to zambia... peace corps' orders! man -- i'm sure going to miss them!
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

Switched from glasses to contacts and back to glasses and to contacts and to glasses. Somehow putting them in the morning and cleaning them in the evening becomes annoying after a while as does having them chip and irritating your eye.
Nowadays I use them only for Karate and Krav Maga classes and the occasional seminar and tournament.
Nice girls should know better either way as my wife won't allow me dating them anyway and I am already too confident for my own good.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha SimonG!

I had to wear glasses since I was a junior in High School...did I wear them? Of course not! (Peer pressure).

Just got Contacts about 5 years ago...ya got soft lenses? Hard? Disposables? Only thing I always have in the back of my mind is that once i met a cop who was wearing these clear Oakley Blade looking glasses. I asked if they were prescription and he said, "No. I see fine. I wear these in case someone tries to spit in my face or to protect my eyes from blood."

I been thinking of getting a pair of shooting glasses to throw on in the event back up is needed...sorry, totally OT here...but hey:

Be safe and enjoy the feeling! God bless and 360IJN. Keep me posted! ;)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I've been wearing glasses since I was 8 I think, switched to contacts at 13 and been wearing them 6 days a week since.

Only downside I can think of is that I tend fall asleep on the couch rather often and I can't sleep with my contacts because it gives me eye infection....like what I'm having right now. Very unpleasant, so be careful.

Otherwise, enjoy! Chicks dig it :)

-Dean
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I've been wearing glasses since I was about seven years old (36 now). A few years ago, I switched to contacts, and haven't looked back. I hated my glasses, they're coke bottles in a frame.

I still wear my glasses one or two days a week to give my eyes a break from the contacts. But I see so much better with contacts.

In time, I'd even like to get the corrective surgery to be able to see without even wearing contacts. But it's not perfect, and there are risks...hence why I'm still wearing contacts.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I wore contact all through my school & student years, but the 9-17 grind in the dry air and working on a PC got me back to glasses. the relief is immense! No more irritations, tedious cleaning and so forth. When training in my Jiu Jitsu classes or what I do most these days, 'unsupervised training' :D , I keep an older pair for 'standing-up' work and for ground work the glasses come off. Heck, as long as I'm touching an opponent I don't need my eye-sight at all anymore. Then my training partners want to find out how well I fight blind when there's a little distance. I fare not so well, naturally :p

Wouter
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I've worn glasses since about the first grade (six years, and it’s been so long I really can’t remember when). In my college years I was told that contacts wouldn’t work (can’t remember the reason). I have always seen fine without the glasses, although recent years have seen me needing them for late night reading. Now the contacts seem more hassle than the frames. Never really had a problem with them in the “women” department. I always thought to pick out frames that accentuated my “look”; people do it with sunglasses anyway.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

Cool Simon! Congratulations.

I wear glasses when in front of the computer and when reading. I can read without them but it's a strain.

I actually like glasses, but then again I just started wearing them about 2 years ago.

Cheers mates,
David :)
zeus

Post by zeus »

Had thick glasses since the fifth grade in 1971 until I got in the Navy in '83 and they started me on soft contacts (daily wear) during aircrew school. I switched to extended wear a couple of years later and often left them in for weeks, with no problems. This continued for over twenty years until recently. My script had since changed (eye sight has improved!) and the doc suggested the 30 day disposable Focus night and day lens which have the highest O2 transmission on the market. Five months into wearing those I got a corneal ulcer last month that scared the **** out of me. Went back to glasses for four weeks and now only wear the lenses during the day. I have been checking into LASEK (not LASIK) which uses no mechanical cutting like LASIK does.

LASEK uses a chemical to separate and slide off the epithelial layer of cornea, then a laser sculpts the cornea according to a wave front technology mapping of 5000 points on the surface. The epithelial layer is then slid back over the sculpted area like a bandage.

My eye doctor says there are more problems associated with contact lens wear than laser vision correction problems.
Zerileous

Post by Zerileous »

I got contacts in the 7th grade, glasses somehwere between first and 3rd. I just graduated from high school last spring. Anyhow, I like contacts alot more. I always disliked wearing glasses (though sunglasses dont bother me). I use "1-2 week disposable" lenses (soft). I switched from long term ones because of mucus build up (i grew into some sinus allergies). I never "clean" them. I use a no-rub solution (which you are supposed to rinse the linses with). I instead just put the lenses in the case and fill it with the solution. It works for me. I sleep at least one night a week with them in, out of forgetfulness or laziness.

I have never really had problems, other than the mucus build up. Jeez I remember at the time it was miserable. Very uncomfortable to wear em.

I wear my contacts for well over 2 weeks. Basically I wear them until they become uncomfortable in some way, or they fall appart. If find that they become more fragile with age and eventually I will be a little clumsy and tear one, or it will eventually fall appart.

It works for me. I am only worried that I will grow out of soft lenses. I am currently at the point where its hit or miss whether my eye doctor will have my prescription in stock. I hope I dont get as bad as my mom, she wears hard lenses, I dont think I could do that.
Ray.Hood

I've been wearing glasses since 4th grade.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I tried contacts for one day in high school. My eyes are blue and realllllyyy
sensitive to dust and stuff. I've gotten used to glasses. I am checking into Lasik, it's free for us! :D
Ted

Post by Ted »

I've been carrying contact lensens (hard ones) for the last 20 years...I had real troubles with them last year. Especially in the morning I couldn't look into bright lights. Then I started using water to store them instead of the other stuff I used, and never had a problem since :eek: :eek: :eek:
I only clean them once a week or so, and am carrying this pair for more then 5 years now.