Earth, Google

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
rastus

Earth, Google

Post by rastus »

Has anyone tried this yet? The data is at least 2 years old since I had a van parked and had to move it two years ago..but can see the van!
Pretty Cool!
http://desktop.google.com/download/earth/index.html
You have to download the program, but it's free.
I marked some great places in the Jemez mtns. The places can be sent as links, too. Any way, just thought it was worth mentioning.
---Tom
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

I use it and love it.

Not all data is that old. A picture of a friends house had the pool in the backyard which has only been there for about 2 weeks.

I like it :)
rastus

Post by rastus »

I just started, but now I have the same van, parked at two different locations....
Wierd, I guess it's a blend of old and new, here in Albuquerque.
You know what they say about Albuquerque? Not much :D
---Tom
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Am kind of disappointed. Only low res shots of my side of the Hudson, so the other two mapping services still have much better quality images of where I live and work. Some odd "choices" too, from what I can see. The Albany side is mostly high res, but the Empire Plaza area is fuzzed out, apparently intentionally. Ok, figured maybe that was to avoid being unnecessarily helpful to terrorists, although why anyone would waste ordinance on ESP is beyond me. Yet, a couple miles further north, there are high res views of a US military facililty that, while of "limited" strategic importance, might have some symbolic value as a target.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

I can zoom Bratislava so close, that I can see the cars parking in front of the houses... quite cool!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

This is really cool but I have only low res shots of where I live too. Paul, what are the other programs you use?
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
Ted

Post by Ted »

I posted about some weeks ago. It's simply great. I can spend hours with this program! Try '820 Spyderco Way, Golden, CO' - Joyce confirmed that her car was parked in front the factory ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spyderknut wrote:This is really cool but I have only low res shots of where I live too. Paul, what are the other programs you use?
Best one for my area is GlobeXplorer Shot must be a couple years old, but I can pick out my old Metro in the apartment parking lot. The other is the Microsoft Terra Server Not as good, but still a lot better than Google for my area. These may both have US locations only though.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Post by 224477 »

The Deacon wrote:Best one for my area is GlobeXplorer Shot must be a couple years old, but I can pick out my old Metro in the apartment parking lot. The other is the Microsoft Terra Server Not as good, but still a lot better than Google for my area. These may both have US locations only though.
Hello Paul,

I found your area at globexplorer, but couldnt recognize the right house... :D
Thanks for the visit.. :)

Jano
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

The Deacon wrote:Best one for my area is GlobeXplorer Shot must be a couple years old, but I can pick out my old Metro in the apartment parking lot. The other is the Microsoft Terra Server Not as good, but still a lot better than Google for my area. These may both have US locations only though.
Thanks Paul. I could at least see my pool on GlobeXplorer. Old pics though. I think what makes GoogleEarth so cool is the ability to fly anywhere just using landmarks to find what you are looking for. I have been to the Andes, Himalayas, forbidden city, Paris, New York, Golden Gate bridge all in the last couple of days. :D
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041