Show us your lanyards!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TheMikeOfSteel

Post by TheMikeOfSteel »

Thanks for the quick reply! :D

So this stuff is paracord, huh? That's cool. I looks like it's pretty smooth and flexible, and that it makes great lanyards.

Thanks for the links. I'll have to look into ordering some of this cord. The OD seems to be a good color for knife lanyards.

The knot doesn't seem too hard in those pictures, but I bet it's tricky the first time you try it...
"Who is your daddy, and what does he do?" - Arnold Schwarzenegger ;)
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Yeah I have the OD its nice.

Its not really hard but kinda tricky to get the cord spaced correctly.

if it is not almost perfect the cord wornt wrap around enough time and things like that/

and it is actually para cord cabable of holding 550lbs. It held me at about 6 ft and I am 6'3 330lbs.

Good Luck.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

The MikeOfSteel,
There are many different types of knots and cords to use. Para cord works better than some because when tying ball type knots, it lays flatter. The diamond knot has many different names, and configurations (Chinese button knot, Knife lanyard knot).

Here is a decent source for learning.

http://www.folsoms.net/knots

Here is a thread with some good info.

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... light=knot

Paracord can be bought at most surplus stores. I think a forum member (GuideSeries) may even carry white at his store, but check with him.

There are also many other “accessory cords” available. Wellington makes some really cool stuff, hard to find for me, you could check your local True Value Hardware. Also check out outdoor sports places. I bought some nice cordage at Eastern Mountain Sports. I think finding the good stuff is hit or miss, and much legwork. Any questions, just ask.

Edited to add:

Here is another good source for tying things. (JD)
http://www.boondoggleman.com/
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Vinny,

Does your OD have black slashes in it?
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:
(WARNING: Engage your sense of humor!)

I consider them largely to be annoying decorative hangy-down things on knives that get in the way and make my knife harder to open, use, and close. :eek:
Doc,
I agree, that is why I put mine so short, and so close to the “but” of the handle on my knife. This prevents it from “getting in the way and making my knife harder to open, use, and close.”

BTY, you may have forgotten “draws unwanted attention, and can catch on things, when hanging outside of pocket”, in that list.
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

saracen

Post by saracen »

Here's a couple of my Chinook, simple but effective..
:spyder: Paul.
CKE

Can't believe I missed this thread

Post by CKE »

Here is a crappy pic I just snapped of some of my lanyards. More are around the house. I only have a bit of paracord left...time to re order :)
Personally I love lanyards. I have to make up one for my Rampage(sounds like a good job for today :) ) I always use them out fishing and in the pic you can see some hunter orange ones. I use those in the fall when out hunting or in the winter to see my blade if it drops. Mind you it has been a few years since I was out hunting. Take Care!!!

P.S. boondoggleman.com is a great site for tying lanyards like in my pics. Square Sinnet and Round Sinnet. Chris Reeves knot is just a hangmans noose if I am not mistaken(will have to check the link)
Attachments
IMG_1577.JPG
IMG_1577.JPG (96.8 KiB) Viewed 24876 times
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Here is a link I came across a while back with several colors. I think some from the other forum have order from here successfully, but I have no experience with them. It looks like a trustworthy co./site.

http://www.ubraidit.com/paracord.htm#
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

ghostrider wrote:Vinny,

Does your OD have black slashes in it?

from Countrycomm nope

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

ROM831 wrote:Here is a link I came across a while back with several colors. I think some from the other forum have order from here successfully, but I have no experience with them. It looks like a trustworthy co./site.

http://www.ubraidit.com/paracord.htm#
Just remeber that its not Mil-Spec and wont hold 550lbs
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

Here's a couple examples of fobs on my Spydies.
The Lil' Temp fob is a colored boot lace, knotted and tipped with a zipper pull. The Ti Lum Tanto folder fob is a standard "hangman's" knot using rawhide lace. The boot lace / zipper pull fobs offer lots of variation and are really easy to do - important since I haven't got anywhere near Craig's (CKE) level of braiding ability :o

David

p.s. The Ti Lum Tanto sheath is by Gary Graley - a true artist with leather.
http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Cabin ... lades.html
Attachments
fobs5a.jpg
fobs5a.jpg (16.83 KiB) Viewed 7985 times
fobs1a.jpg
fobs1a.jpg (14.7 KiB) Viewed 8365 times
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

It could be rated for 550 lbs and still not be mil-spec. The bright color could be all that dis-qualifies it as mil-spec.
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
TheMikeOfSteel

Post by TheMikeOfSteel »

Wow! I'm glad I signed up here. This place is full of information.
Thanks for all the great info.

Does anyone find that the lanyard may sometimes block the blade when you're trying to open/close the knife? If so, have any of you ever cut off your lanyard by accident when you're closing the knife? :eek:
"Who is your daddy, and what does he do?" - Arnold Schwarzenegger ;)
Michael Cook

"theMikeOfSteel"

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: that's a cool handle, it should have a musical fanfare! :spyder:

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

TheMikeOfSteel wrote:Wow! I'm glad I signed up here. This place is full of information.
Thanks for all the great info.

Does anyone find that the lanyard may sometimes block the blade when you're trying to open/close the knife? If so, have any of you ever cut off your lanyard by accident when you're closing the knife? :eek:
That's one of the reasons why I don't use a lanyard, and my knot is tied so close to the handle. I suppose it's a matter of tradeoffs. For some, the lanyard may get in the way, but that's better than loosing the kinfe.
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

b-elliott

Post by b-elliott »

Here is another one I tied just last night.

I prefer to tie with climbers accessory cord over the para cord. The flatness of the para doesn't look as good or tie as easily to me as the full stiffer climbing stuff. Unless, that is, you're making certain sinnetts or braids that work better with flat cord. It also seems to come in a wider variety of colors. The brands I usually use are Bluewater and Sterling and you can find these in most camping stores.

I also don't find it gets in the way, unless it's too long, becasue it is usually in the hand when you open the knife. I've never had it attract too much attention and in fact I have even used it as a pull to get the knife out of my pocket. I just drop the whole thing in the pocket, except the last button knot and when I need it I just grab the knot and pull the whole thing out. That way the whole knife is concealed. Granted it isn't as quick or handy as using the knife clip, but sometimes it's just better that way. It also works well as a quick pull keyring.
-------------------------------------------------------

Brent Elliott :spyder:
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Thanks for sharing that Brent. I like the red cord, and have also experienced more colors with the accessory cord than para. They each have attributes that contribute to different applications.
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Vincent wrote:Just remeber that its not Mil-Spec and wont hold 550lbs
True, according to the site, it only goes up to about #400.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Michael Cook wrote:It could be rated for 550 lbs and still not be mil-spec. The bright color could be all that dis-qualifies it as mil-spec.
yeah but they its not Mil-spec.

Only Black, OD, Tan and I think orange.

These are the ones that are made for the US Military.

BTW there is stronger stuff, if you go to a hobby shop that sells Kites. they ahve stuff that is lighter and thinner and will hold upwards of 1000lbs.

Mil-spec=7 strands of nylon inside.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

1000 lbs! :eek: the mind boggles! :p I wonder for what my back pocket is rated!! :p