I love to throw things!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

I love to throw things!

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I love to throw things! I don't ever throw my :spyder: s however I love to throw Throwing Knives, Hatchets, Tomahawks, Spikes, Darts, Sharpened Steel Chopsticks, Ten Penny Nails, Ice picks, Screwdrivers, Shealth Knives and even Folders...anything that will stick in a target I'm gonna throw it. I can't help myself...it's loads of fun...Any other forum members out there who loves to throw things?.... :D Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Any other forum members out there who loves to throw things?
Doc,

I tried throwing knives a few times, but really suck at it. I shudder to think of the damage I could cause to myself and innocent bystanders should I attempt tomahawks, etc.

Projectile weapons I am fine with, but for me, attempting hand-thrown objects is just begging for personal injury... :rolleyes:

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
UK KEN

Another thrower

Post by UK KEN »

Hi Doc

I have been throwing things since I was 7 years old :D

There was an old door in the back yard of a shop which backed onto the street where I lived. I spend hours whacking a sheath knife into the door. I held the blade when throwing, starting with a single revolution from about six feet away then developing my knowlege of slide release and varying distances.

I have since used Hawks and throwing knives of all shapes and sizes, but can have as much fun with any pointed object.

Regards, Ken
CKE

Post by CKE »

I love to throw hatchets...axes are quite hard but I have done it. I have the Hibben triple set but I find them very light. My bro has a proper throwing hatchet which is way easier to throw then a normal one. It's a good pass time.
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Senate

Post by Senate »

I wish I could throw my brother through the window sometimes... :rolleyes:
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Hannibal Lecter

Lol!

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Senate wrote:I wish I could throw my brother through the window sometimes... :rolleyes:
ROTFLMAO! Thanks for the laugh!

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

i find myself throwing my cheaper knives all the time. i have a fixed blade i picked up at meijers for $3. i pried the wooden handles off, and replaced it with a cord wrap. throws quite well. i also enjoy throwing my cold steel trail guide clip point. ive become quite good w/ it. i am pondering ordering a cold steel shovel now, to use w/ backpacking and to throw in the off time. although i throw many of my differnt folders, never a spyderco. i have far to much fondness and respect for them.
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

GuideSeries:The only product of Cold Steel that I like is their thrower called True Flight....Doc ( maybe spyderco needs to add a great thrower to their line)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Dr. Snubnose!!!

Right on!!! A fellow thrower!!! Man, don'tcha just love that "THUNK" on a good hit!!! Count me in on your thrower list!

BTW, my 1st Gen Dragonfly survived COUNTLESS throws after hours at a 3D Buck target when I used to work at a Sporting goods store. From "THUNK" to *Boing....CLANG!!!* it handled it all!!! :o My co-workers EZ Out Jr. handled pretty well too, until it got lost somewhere as he totally missed the Buck! :D

God bless and mahalo again! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

DAYWALKER wrote:Aloha Dr. Snubnose!!!
My co-workers EZ Out Jr. handled pretty well too, until it got lost somewhere as he totally missed the Buck! :D

God bless and mahalo again! :cool:
Ay Daywalker, When I was younger We used to hunt small game with three one pound throwers with holes drilled down the whole length to make em whistle (startled the game into standing still when they heard the noise so we didn't have to lead them on the throw) I can't till you how many good throwers we lost in the woods on a miss target, LOL, we spent more time looking for our knives then we did on the hunt...however I think I always enjoyed the stalk more anyways... Nothing like that noise as the solid thunk when you make a good hit..just like you say...And my motto is no matter how many times you throw.... always end your practice session with a good hit. ;) ... Doc

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

[quote="Dr. Snubnose"]And my motto is no matter how many times you throw.... always end your practice session with a good hit. ]

Amen to that Dr!!! :) BTW, neat story on that "whistling effect" to have the game stand still! Take care, and God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:Doc,

I tried throwing knives a few times, but really suck at it.

--------
Hannibal
Doc...You need to give it some more trys...The only people that I have found (while teaching people how to throw) that where able to stick consistently when first attempting to throw where beleive it or not the MOST UNCOORDINATED PEOPLE I have ever met. I'm telling you...these people can't walk straight...can't put one foot in front of the next without tripping but yet they can stick a knife. Throwing is an Art...has to do with Grip, Arc, Release,target distance,number of revolutions to target, stance, follow thru...etc. Actually it is very similiar to shooting a handgun...and knowing of your background I was suprise to hear you don't throw. Most people stick by pure luck when they begin and get frustrated not being able to duplicate the stick...and this is only symptomatic of not knowing the process and science behind throwing...Sometimes is just a simple thing like trying to hard or holding onto the knife with a death grip when throwing...when what you need to do it to lighten up so you can release the fingers off the blade all at the same time....Give it another try Doc or get some good books on throwing... Throwing can be lots of fun...and not only for the uncoordinated... :D Doc