Comtech Stinger

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
i.v

Comtech Stinger

Post by i.v »

i've had this little piece for quite a while, i remember buying because it had really good reviews & it was also very very cheap, something like $6-$8 ( :D ).
ever since i got it i pretty much forgot about it (got it along with my first spydie & was blinded by the shine of new steel).
now i found it sitting in a drawer & decided to really check it out.
for those of you that don't know what it is, it's a small impact weapon, designed by James A. Keating (can be seen here: http://www.donrearic.com/stingerchinook.html it's also a good review!).
it's small, very light weight & pretty much legal everywhere. it's made from some sort of really tough plastic & looks pretty innocent.
at first glance it doesn't look like a weapon at all, more like a toy but watch out this is anything but a toy! it can cause some serious damage!
it works on the basic principal on concentrating the entire power of ones fist into a single, hard, impact point. the results are devastating! i don't have a camera (yet) so no pictures, sorry :o but i'll briefly what i did - i punched things with it (hey.. it's not a knife, that's all you really can test :p ).
i was able to crush hard wood, leave deep marks into a concrete wall & put serious dents into 1/4" thick sheet of steel!! with a little hand protection, a car window was smashed as if it wasn't there!
the stinger takes the full force of the blow & allows you to strike without the fear of breaking a knuckle & that also helps you mentaly to strike harder because the fear of self injury is gone.
amazing little piece!
final warning, even thoguh this really a non leather impact\control device it is a serious SD weapon, it can break ribs & jaws as if they were pencils & inflict massive pain on an attacker\ opponent so great care must be taken with it, especially when training!
that's it! thanks for reading, stay safe & happy training :D :cool:
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi iv - Am I glad that you too are so convinced by the capabilities of the Stinger. I own one since a couple of years and EDC it with much confidence. Never had to use it but as you say, it brings a great sense of security.
Yeah, I aggree that in use you have to be responcible with it and try to limit the damage it will do to end the confrontation or to open up an egress option.

Great review and remember it will only work if you EDC it!
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

Jurphaas wrote:Great review and remember it will only work if you EDC it!
Jurphaas.
I bought several of these, but have failed miserably on making one an EDC item. Do either of you guys incorporate the keyring into your grip?
Steve
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

First thing to do is lose the keyring...it only gets in the way....Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Aah the Stinger, it looks and handles like a really effective little attack-stopper. However, I don't really think it looks like a toy, or something like it. Not that you should care about that, but I'm pretty sure it would fall under my country's laws that cancel out brass knucks and similar items. I wouldn't want to test that. If I could own, carry and use one -legally- I would surely have a stash full of 'em!

In the mean time, a mini-maglit AAA works great too, but the grip retention isn't even close to the Comtech Stinger.

Happy sparring!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have always explained the stinger away as my accupressure or massager tool...nobody gives it a second glance...another cool impact weapon to look at is the Karambit Bike Travel Wrench...it has a really neat carry holster and is also quite effective...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

mmmmm...massage tool, hadn't thought of that one yet... :D They sell those at the Body Shop.

wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

I took off the keyring and attached a lanyard with two cord stoppers and one end stop. Works great and slung around your wrist, you will not loose it.
Jurphaas.

P.s. Wouter (Mr Blonde) is right in his assuption. I find however, that just a tad of political uncorrectness or civil disobedience suits me fine.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I got one for free about a year ago. Put a dent in a wall with it once which it did very well. Never got around to carrying it however as it looks as what it is meant for and I seriously doubt I could convince anybody that it is a massage tool or that I am into massage. I do EDC a TopPopper however which is basically the same idea in a different package and can be used as a bottleopenener.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

OK, where to buy?
i.v

Post by i.v »

try
http://www.jamesakeating.com
there's also a new one out with a led light! very cool & can really solve the problem of passing it as a massage tool.. just say it's a flashlight, because it is :D
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

i.v wrote:it's made from some sort of really tough plastic & looks pretty innocent. at first glance it doesn't look like a weapon at all, more like a toy but watch out this is anything but a toy!
They do look pretty innocuous to the average person, however they are well known to LEOs and even in the FBI's "Guide to Concealable Weapons" They may not raise the concern of many people but they won't fool many LEOs.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

i bought mine off of mike at river city sheaths durring the wkcc show in michigan this year. i also bought a kydex sheath for my pacific salt, both are great. i have been carrying the stinger as an edc for a couple months, and have nothing but positive things to say. i have not had the need to use one yet, but have found that carrying it in the left back pocket works well, and makes it easily accessable. check out river city sheaths stinger sheaths, you can pick up a stinger and sheath for a great price. http://rivercitysheaths.com/stinger_sheaths.htm
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: They're neat enough but I've spent hours punching my mook johng so I wouldn't have to worry about plastic fistloads. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

In the event that any of my fellow Canuck spyderholics might be interested in acquiring a James Keating/Comtech Stinger Impact Keychain :eek: , I located a Canadian source. After much digging (Google wasn't much help in this instance), I found that P & D Enterprises in Edmonton, Alberta, http://p-d-ent.com/ had 5 left. I just got off the phone with them, and they now have 3 left :D .
To every complex problem, there are numerous, simple, easy-to-understand wrong answers.
argyll

Post by argyll »

GuideSeries wrote:check out river city sheaths stinger sheaths, you can pick up a stinger and sheath for a great price. http://rivercitysheaths.com/stinger_sheaths.htm
GS
I agree, Mike's stinger sheaths are the best. I've carried mine for years dangling from the shoulder strap of my briefcase, and its never attracted a second look.

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)