G-10 over the years...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xrob

G-10 over the years...

Post by xrob »

Hello all,

I've been buying Spyderco knives since 1996 or so and am just loving the new models coming out. I have a question about one model from back in the old days, the G-10 Harpy.

When I bought this knife back in 1997 (or so), after using it for just a few weeks I remember the G10 handles started to turn grey and were not as tacky as they were when the knife was new. I ended up trading it for a pro-venator, but I digress...

I just got a black Dodo a few months ago and was pleased to see this "greying" is not happening.

Has there been any advance or improvements in the actual G-10 materials being used over the last 6-8 years? I loved the G-10, but was not pleased with what happened to the Harpy. Is this a normal occurrence for this material, or was this just a characteristic of the (then) new G-10 handles? Or, did I just get a strange piece of G-10? I was considering picking up this knife again, or perhaps getting a rookie, but I thought I would check and see first.

Thanks in advance for the info,

xrob
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Only got into this about two years back. All I can tell you for certain is that I currently own a range of G10 Models, from some of the earliest unlined specimens to the SpyKer. Out of them, only one ever "greyed out" like your Harpy, and I strongly suspect that some "dressing" put on by the previous owner was the cause. I have heard that the surface can dry out, so another possibility might be excess heat in transport or storage.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cheez

Post by cheez »

If they grey out, put some oil on 'em. Makes em look like new.
"I sold my voice to pay for my security. Now I write my sentences on its walls." - Jason Cruz
Burnett

Post by Burnett »

cheez wrote:If they grey out, put some oil on 'em. Makes em look like new.
It seems that WD-40 works good too for that purpose. I remember Sal Glesser posted this information when somebody asked how he could get the scales of his Military black again.
JD Spydo

Other treatments

Post by JD Spydo »

I have found that there is a chemical called "Ballistol" which does a superb job of rejuvenating G-10. I have been told that there are quite a few products on the market that are specifically meant for the preservation/rejuvenation of polymers of all types. I too an interested of knowing of more of them.

WD-40 from what I have been told has a lot of negative properties to it. I have also been told by another Forumite that a high quality mineral oil will do a great job as well. JD :spyder: O
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

Hello,

In a thread where all the ameliorations over the years that was made to the military model, one was that they changed the way they dyed the g-10 scale.

Hope it helps,

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Senate

Post by Senate »

I used Militec to regenerate the G10 handle on my Renegade, worked great.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
xrob

Post by xrob »

Deacon, et al,

Thanks for sharing the wealth of information and answers. I appreciate it!

xrob
Revvie

Post by Revvie »

Ballisto is a natural product and can be usedi in a bzillin of ways. I t can be used to restore wooden pistol grips.
It is non-toxic.

Probably the best choice.
And it´s from Austria. :D
.... IMHO ....
xrob

Follow-up

Post by xrob »

All,

I managed to get my hands on another 97 Harpy. And the G-10 material used for this knife is dramatically different to the newer stuff used on the Dodo and Yojimbo. I've attached pictures for comparison. The older stuff (this knife has had VERY little use) is somewhat more grey. Any thoughts?

xrob
Attachments
harpy-yojimbo2.jpg
harpy-yojimbo2.jpg (77.91 KiB) Viewed 1533 times
harpy-yojimbo1.jpg
harpy-yojimbo1.jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
DaddyBarlow

Post by DaddyBarlow »

xrob wrote:All,

The older stuff (this knife has had VERY little use) is somewhat more grey. Any thoughts?

xrob
Oil it, it should richen it up. Just looks a little dried-out to me...
RLR

Post by RLR »

The old stuff (better in my opinion) was not left so rough. We've become tactically minded and relish the GRIP, but gimme the old, smooth, actually pocket-worn look. My Wegner Jr has a perfect, smoothed down, worn to grey, fell about it.
John F Jensen

Post by John F Jensen »

When G-10 drys out it turns gray. Any G-10 will do that even laying in the box on a shelf.

Easiest fix is spray it down with WD-40. WD-40 will not harm the G-10. Or any light oil will do. I use WF-40 frequently to clean my EDC Impala, no problems.

:)