Gun Talk!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Time to bring this topic out again. I'm going to try cowboy action shooting tomorrow for the first time.

I got to think up a clever cowboy name for myself, all the good ones are taken already. Hope no one gets offended when I shoot in my Sox hat either.

I'm thinking I have some reproduction baseball hats from the 1880's. They can't cry foul (pun intended) if I wear one of those, it's from the period.

I'll have to borrow my buddies stuff, I don't own a cowboy gun or rig. Let's see what happens.

In Massachusetts, we can't buy a Colt SAA because of the AG so unless you got big money to buy one that was grandfathered it's a Ruger or one of the imports.

I'll report back with match highlights, that's providing there are any.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

If possible, I'd like to see some pictures.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

ghostrider wrote:If possible, I'd like to see some pictures.
Sure, I'm charging the battery for the camera as we speak! Thanks for reminding me.

OK, a little update on the cowboy action match. I guess if I said I was given the wrong date by my buddy, you'd think it was a coverup of me being a bonehead, so I won't say it. After getting to the club, it's tomorrow!

Fine, I'll try again.
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

GC!!

You got all the way to the club!! Oh brother! :p

CAS is something that I would love to try! :cool: There is a very small following in the UK way up in the North. I think perhaps the reluctance to take it up throughout the country is down to S.A.B (Stiff A$$ Brits!)

However, there are plenty of us with "Cowboy Guns"!! :cool: In fact, I was at the range today giving mine a little ring out! So not needing much of an excuse, before cleaning...................................I took a couple of photos!! :D

This one is of my .357 Uberti 1873 Sporting, .44 Uberti Muzzleloading Cattleman and a .38-55 Marlin 336 Cowboy. :cool:

"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

................................And here's another!

.45-70 Pedersoli Sharp's Long Range Express, .36 Uberti 1861 Navy with detachable shoulder stock an my .50 cal Pedersoli Hawken. :cool:

"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

You got some nice stuff Simon. I wish your photos were a bit larger, when I click on them, I get a blank page, no enlargement. Would you be able to repost them so I could get a better look?

Can you obtain black powder in the UK or can you only have Pyrodex?

http://www.sassnet.com/index.html
http://www.sassnet.com/NewsArchive.php

Here's the SASS site in case you don't know about it and want to check it out.

I'll tell you what, I'm really not too sure I want to dress up and play cowboy either. I'm a little self consious doing that, and I do envy people who can let go and just do it.

My friend Scott has the whole family involved, wife and the son and daughter. And his kids are aged 22 and 19, so there must be something to it if a 19 YO girl wants to give up her weekend to shoot CBAS. As a matter of fact, we were talking about you today regarding the handgun issues in the UK, an yes, this was the guy who told me today.

I'll probably go back tomorrow and I'll take some pics for you and ghostrider to see.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Sarge...

Cripes, ya got quite the arsenal there!!! :eek:

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
philuk44

Post by philuk44 »

Simon - there's a "cowboy" match next week I'm hoping to get along to. It is a bit "way up north" for you - near Doncaster. Cap 'n' ball revolver, underlever rifle and shotgun, so it's a bit different from the matches I usually shoot but sounds like fun :) Pity there's not many matches in your neck of the woods cos you've certainly got the kit there - nice pics.
Plus it's a chance to get dressed up. And thanks for the offer but I don't think those slinky off the shoulder numbers of yours would go down too well................... :p (sorry guys - bit of a private joke. I had the pleasure of meeting Simon at Bisley last week and we hit it off right away)

Phil
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

GC,

I just clicked the photos and they seemed to come up fine, but very slow. Imageshack may have troubles. If you still can't see them properly I'll re post. Thanks for the compliments on the "hardware"! As far as cowboy guns go, I would really like to add an 1849 pocket pistol in .31! :cool:

Black powder is as available as Pyrodex. However, BP is classed as an explosive, where as Pyrodex and 777 are classed as propellants like smokeless powders. So another piece of government paper is required! :mad:

With CAS, that is always the thing that has impressed me, it's a whole family outing if that's what you want. Unlike IPSC etc which is generally a male testosterone arena!!! ;)

But like you, not sure I could where the hat!............Well, not in public anyway!! :eek:

Daywalker, My brother, I would swap my arsenal tomorrow for an S&W wheelgun and a Browning Hi-Power!! :cool: (Might have to keep the 10/22 though!!)

God bless,

Simon.

Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Phil,

Let me know how it goes! It was great to meet up with you last weekend. ;) Us Geordie Spydie gun nuts are certainly far and few between! God bless us all!!!!

Reckon you'll get the spurs onto the slingbacks? :p

Simon.

chinook

Post by chinook »

greencobra wrote:Time to bring this topic out again. I'm going to try cowboy action shooting tomorrow for the first time.

I got to think up a clever cowboy name for myself, all the good ones are taken already. Hope no one gets offended when I shoot in my Sox hat either.

I'm thinking I have some reproduction baseball hats from the 1880's. They can't cry foul (pun intended) if I wear one of those, it's from the period.
"Massachooter"
"Liberty Kid"
"Keen Beaner"
"Redsock Deadeye"
"Bosox Hatter"
"Dilly from Philly" (maybe not)
.><CHINOOK*>
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

chinook wrote:"Massachooter"
"Liberty Kid"
"Keen Beaner"
"Redsock Deadeye"
"Bosox Hatter"
"Dilly from Philly" (maybe not)
Not a bad selection chinook. Thanks LOL
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Simon G wrote:
Daywalker, My brother, I would swap my arsenal tomorrow for an S&W wheelgun and a Browning Hi-Power!! :cool: (Might have to keep the 10/22 though!!)

God bless,

Simon.
I know of a HP in .40 available right now ;) Gosh, but I wonder about the "red tape" issues...*ugh*.

God bless you too my Brother...360IJN,
Chad :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I kinda like the ring of "Dilly from Phily". :D
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

[quote="DAYWALKER"]I know of a HP in .40 available right now ]
There is no "Red Tape" issues Chad, they can't own handgunds in the UK, period.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

ghostrider wrote:I kinda like the ring of "Dilly from Phily". :D
You know what? So di I.

It has a sort of circus clown ring to it. And if I'm going to dress up and play act, I need something theatrical.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Here's photos of the action shoot
Attachments
RS 013A.jpg
RS 013A.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 490 times
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Alright, let's see if these work, my pics from the cowboy action match today. I went as an observor only, did not participate. Where I didn't know too many prople, the photos are not in the "in your face" school of photography, I just hung back. The match was at the Harvard Sportmans Club in Massachusetts. I will say this, a group of friendly people. I think over half the participants came up to me tell me about the sport and give me information. Another thing I noticed, we're not talking an athletic bunch here. Most everyone is out of shape and in no hurry. I like this! Hope the photo's work.
Attachments
RS 013A.jpg
RS 013A.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 575 times
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Some more.....
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

And finally....