C11 FRN Delica Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fisher of Men

C11 FRN Delica Review

Post by Fisher of Men »

C11 FRN Delica Review

I have to say that being new to knives I had no idea that the Delica had been around so long. I also just assumed that I didn’t need to have one because it was just a normal knife and there was nothing big about it. All of my assumptions were wrong. First of all, I think everyone should have a Delica. For me it’s the best knife I have ever had to date. I now have 5 Delica’s and I love them all.

I first got hooked on the Calypso Jr. and it’s flat grind. I figured that I didn’t want anything else but a flat grind knife. Again, I was wrong. The blade on the Delica out of the box was the sharpest I have ever encountered on a factory knife. The blade is a tad longer than the one on the Calypso Jr. I have Delica’s with serrated edge, combo edge, and plain edge. All of them are the best cutters I’ve ever had. Mind you, I use my knives to cut food, rope, boxes (large HP Server boxes), some plastic ties, and some wire (CAT5 network cable).

I did a search on the “Delica Review” and didn’t find anything so I wanted to throw something down on “paper” for others to view if they were considering a Delica purchase.

In the short time that I’ve been able to use all my Delica’s I have to say that the one with the VG-10 blade cuts the best and needs sharpened the least. I have Delica’s that use AUS-8, AUS-6, G2, and VG-10. I don’t have a Sharpmaker yet so I need to get one as I need to sharpen all of these knives pretty soon. Sharpening is something else that I want to learn but I will take my time on.

The Delica is tip-up carry and I’m used to tip-down carry for the other knives I have. I think clip-up is actually pretty nice. When I take the knife out of my pocket it’s already in the right position to open and cut. Most of the tip-down knives I’ve had have to be flipped around before they are properly placed in the hand to open and cut. Plus I like the fact that it’s tip-up carry but the blade is actually facing the rear of your pocket. This is great as this will be the least likely way for it to open up in your pocket on accident. I also like the barrel nut that the clip is put on with as opposed to the 3 screw method. It lets the clip sit a bit closer to the knife handle and it gives it a thinner profile in your pocket ( I carry my Delica unclipped and inside my pocket when at work in the office).

This would be one mean knife if made with G10 handles. I guess then you’d almost have to call it a C05 Standard.

Pros:
  • 3” blade legal almost everywhere
  • Tip-up carry with blade facing rear of pocket
  • Very lightweight in FRN model
  • Right or left handed carry
  • Great Every Day Carry with great price.

Cons:
  • None that I can find

Thanks for reading. I know it’s not the most technical review ever but it’s a real world opinion from someone who simply works in an office all day.

I'll post again in this thread after about a month of everyday use.

I also plan to put some pictures in later today.

Stuff added after the original review:

5/3/05 - 8:10pm EST:
I forgot to mention that this was a review for the fully serrated model that I have. I have PE, CE, and some other SE's but this was for a fully serrated model.

One other thing I noticed that I hadn't really before is that this knife chews up my pocket pretty hard (just from clipping it to my pocket and removing it from my pocket). Not sure if it's the volcano patern on the Delica or just because it's FRN. I'm used to carrying either stainless knives, or the Calypso Jr FRN with the fish scale patern on the handle. In fact it has chewed up the pocket of a pair of jeans I have so much that I'm considering taking the clip off of it all together.

Things that I cut:
-As you can see in the pics I cut up a few real world things. I cut up a piece of 3/8" hard plastic tube. This is not soft like water supply line its a bit harder as it's for an inline water filter (I used to do plumbing too). It took about 10 seconds to cut through this tubing.

-The piece of wood is a paint mixing stick that's about 1/8th inch thick. It took about 6 back and forth saw cuts to get about half way through as shown.

-Lastly I cut straight down through a plastic coffee can. The lip was pretty hard to get through but after that it just zipped right down to the bottom.

I can tell that the knife needs sharpened a bit but it didn't really dull it that much. I probably cut through the equivilent of about 10 feet of 1/4" cardboard today too. Before that this knife was brand new out of the box. :D

Cheers,
David
Colossians 3:1-17 - rules to live by.
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

Thanks for the review -- I'm glad you're happy with it.

The Delica packs a lot of cutting power into a relatively small and very light package at an affordable price.

FoM -- get the Sharpmaker soon. It's a great tool and will help you get the most out of your :spyder: s. It's even fun to use (for me at least).
Everything in moderation, including moderation.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

FoM,
Sounds like you are enjoying those delica's. I second the sharpmaker. I used mine to sharpen my brother's sak and he asked for it on the next Christmas. Now we'll see if that Native III can get him hooked on :spyder: ies.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Something else that I noticed after someone over at BF brought it up....

It appears that the new Delica's are Flat Ground (and the older ones were hollow ground).....all though not all the way to the spine like the Calypso Jr. Can anyone confirm this? If it's true.....that's just another reason to love them :) .

Thanks,
David
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

This flat grind til halfway of the blade is called a sabre grind. Can you imagine that its real easy to get this little blade even sharper then as it comes out of the box? (plain edge that is).
Btw, thanks for putting the spotlights on the Delica, It was an eye opener for me too. I really like my little pocket razer.
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Hey Piet.S,

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that was what you called that grind. I sure have a lot of reading and learning to do :)

Thanks for the help all,
David
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Allright Fisher, some reading. Go http://www.knifelinksportal.com
I'm sure that there is more reading than any of us has time. Bout blade grinds and all there are some good articles from Joe Talmadge at knifeart.com
Sure worth reading. Anyway dont go shy, we all learn. When you stop learning you start dieing. But then again, learning has many faces.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha FoM,

Cool review bro..."clip up"? LOL! Enjoy that there Delica...I have had a few over the years, and they have never let me down. The C10/C11 combo are kinda like the "Glocks of the knifeworld"... ;)

God bless you :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Thanks Daywalker :)

I just updated the review with some pics :)

God bless you also my friend!
David

P.S. - just fixed the clip up typo. Thanks for finding that :)
crahen

Post by crahen »

Now you know why everytime someone asks about getting a new knife of around 4" closed for EDC I always recomend the Delica ;)

A real Spyderco classic :D
Those in the know use Spyderco.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

FoM,
Thanks for the review and pics. Can't wait till the sprint run comes out.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi FoM - Great review and what a fantastic little bugger that Delica has shown to be over the years!
Keep it up and don't stop.
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *

Post by 224477 »

Hello David,

thanks for GREAT review, you should really do this! :)
Really great!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi FOM, thanks for the review and the pics. A SE Delica is my very EDC (and Delica is my favorite model). Now I wonder how the updated model will look like :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

dialex wrote:Hi FOM, thanks for the review and the pics. A SE Delica is my very EDC (and Delica is my favorite model). Now I wonder how the updated model will look like :)
Aloha KnifeBrother Alex!,

(Is that better? :D ) Hopefully the updated ones will look like yours!!!

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Just a small addition to my review.

After about 4 days of carry on this knife I realize how handy the point is on this knife. Way more handy than the point on the Calypso Jr. Good for small things (like splinters). Much easier to dig at a splinter with the Delica than the Calypso Jr.

Cut some more boxes, cut some rope, some twine, and other things. Still cuts paper with one slice and also shaves hair.

Still very much liking the Delica :)

Cheers,
David
David Lowry

Post by David Lowry »

I thought I'd bring this back up in case we have any newbies that would like a Delica. :)
dialex

Post by dialex »

What's a Delica? :p
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

dialex wrote:What's a Delica? :p
lol, dialex. It's the one without the full, flat grind.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Good readin'
thanks for posting