Best LED? And Why?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MeJoomeok

Best LED? And Why?

Post by MeJoomeok »

So I'm seeing some of these LED lights that have 140 hour run time on one single AA battery (ie, Gerber Recon LED). But it sure seems bulky.

What do you guys use? BTW, I'm not looking to blind anyone. That's the job for my Surefire. But, having something compact to use when I don't need the flood of light would be great. And carrying 2 lights gets bulky.

Does anyone have any cool suggestions? I wish I had jump on the ARC flashlight bandwagon when I had the chance.
You can't have everything. And if you do, you're missing something.
crahen

Post by crahen »

Most run times are exaggerated by the maker.

My favorite brand right now is Nuwai. Great flashlights at great prices :D

You might want to look here -
http://flashlightreviews.com/index1.html
Those in the know use Spyderco.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I love my inova x5. Last set got about 50hrs on it before I couldn't use it for much more than finding stuff in a dark room... sitting around 20hrs on this set and just starting to notice a difference.

and yes, it is just about crush proof, had to test it myself. One of the forklifts is 1700lbs, and add a 200lbs user, gives 1900lbs... run over, back over and still works, no damage at all. :D
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
BOK

Post by BOK »

Sounds like the X1 would be a good light for you.

I had one but gave it to my father. Need to get another.
chart

Post by chart »

Second the X1. I really like mine. I also have a Princeton Tec Attitude - runs on 4 AAA - but also a nice, small flashlight.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

If you're getting a Surefire, or already have one, pick up one of their LED heads; they just screw right onto whichever model you already have.

I have two Surefire LED heads (KL-1 for my E2e, and a KL-3 for my C-3 Centurion). They're pretty much bombproof, guaranteed for life, and work great.

One set of batteries will last you a long time, though not the "hundreds" of hours some manufacturers might quote.

Another advantage of having the heads is that if you need the power of the incandescent head, you can switch 'em out in seconds. And LEDs never burn out, from what I'm told.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
davec

Post by davec »

I'm a big fan of the Nuwai Q3 as well, small, bright and most of all relatively inexpensive.

I'm also a fan of those little keychain lights, got a bunch of keychain leds coming in from HK. Great for gifting.
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

I had the Inova X1 and it was a pretty good light. However, I prefer the CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra because it is smaller and the beam is more useful. Also, I think someone on candlepowerforums ran their infinity ultra for 100+ hours and it still gave emergency light. Both of these lights are pretty comfortable to carry in pocket.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Gonna second the Surefire KL-1 LED Head mention by Jimd, I have one on my E1L and I think they are great...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
timlara

Post by timlara »

For a long-running, waterproof (it floats!), general purpose/emergency/camping light, I like the EternaLights from Technology Associates:

http://www.techass.com/el/el1.php

I keep one in my car all the time because it has a lot of cool flashing patterns and a magnet on the bottom so you can attach it to the side of the car if you're broken down at night or something. Not particularly compact, but it does run forever with a very decent amount of light. Durable, too, but I wouldn't try running over it with VW's forklift!! :D
Tim
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

What can I say? it was a slow day at work... *looks around innocently*
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
crahen

Post by crahen »

davec wrote:I'm a big fan of the Nuwai Q3 as well, small, bright and most of all relatively inexpensive.
Just got a couple of the Nuwai Quantum 3. All I can say is... WOW!

Now I see why everyone and their brother is buying these ;) Has got to be the best buy in flashlights on the market!
Those in the know use Spyderco.
Echo63

Post by Echo63 »

i carry my car keys on a streamlight batonlight
i also carry a surefire L4 or 6P on my left hip

the infinity ultra is a good solid light and they are farirly small
the Longbow Micra's are not much bigger but alot brighter (one lives on my right hip
if you want something like an arcAAA have a look at peak led solutions
they have a range of led lights from 1xaaa 1xaa 2xaa 1x123
and some of their models have 2 lights back to back with a different head at each end
i.v

Post by i.v »

i use an inova t2, it gives 40 lumens from 2 cr123 batteries over 5 hours, not too big, great for me