Flashlight people.....

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
greencobra

Flashlight people.....

Post by greencobra »

would you be knowing what the smallest flashlight with the brightest beam would be. I'm thinking Mag Light Solitare size only with some serious intensity.
JD Spydo

One Word

Post by JD Spydo »

There is one word for flashlights. SUREFIRE!!! I have had 4 other brands that I thought were good. But SUREFIRE is the best. If someone knows a better brand I would love to see it. But SUREFIRE in my opinion is top notch. Their "rechargables" are just super units. I have the E2d defender, the 6p w/extension kit and the 9an rechargable. They are cooler than cool. :spyder: ;)
Hannibal Lecter

Surefire

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Good day, all.

I must echo J.D.'s sentiments regarding the Surefire lights; I have a 6Z Combatlight and it is amazing. It is probably the best non-lethal low-light defensive tool you can buy.

I might suggest looking at an E1E Executive if size is a big factor. I have handled one of these also and they are unbeatable.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_ ... /sesent/00

Enjoy... :D

---
Ta,

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

JD, Doc, thanks a lot.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The smallest with the highest output would probably be an HDS Systems EDC 60. That's 60 lumens from one CR123 in a very compact package. A SureFire G2 or E2 does 75, but with two CR123's. An E1e does 15 lumen.

Edit: or a custom from the Bright guy...see CPF...

finally got my confirmation order for my HDS EDC 42...at last...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have the Surefire E1L with the KL1 adapter Lens which gives off an extra 15 Lumens.....it's terrific...my favorite Surefire for sure...Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
i.v

Post by i.v »

if you want something keychain sized i really like the streamlight keymate or the inova version of the micro light... sure, they're not 60 lumens, but they are tiny, much brighter than the solitaire & very comfortable to carry :)

i also imagine that 60 (or 75) lumens from 1 cr123 requires quite frequent battery changes which may be annoying with something you carry 24/7 & most likely use a lot.
JD Spydo

good point

Post by JD Spydo »

i.v wrote:if you want something keychain sized i really like the streamlight keymate or the inova version of the micro light... sure, they're not 60 lumens, but they are tiny, much brighter than the solitaire & very comfortable to carry :)

i also imagine that 60 (or 75) lumens from 1 cr123 requires quite frequent battery changes which may be annoying with something you carry 24/7 & most likely use a lot.
Good point i.v. That's what I have been finding out just experimenting with my surefires. There is always a tradeoff. Now the Surefire "rechargables" are truly a long term money saver. A little pricey? Yes to begin with but I would hate to tell you how much I spent on D cell batteries with those Mag Lites I had. I would be willing to bet that it exceeded $300 over a 4 year period. I'll bet that Mag Lite owns stock in one of the major battery companies. I am finding that the 123A batteries last quite a while in E2d defender. I have been using it for a month now and it still has the same batteries that it came with. Also Surefire has very good prices on their batteries and you can get overnight shipping for an extra $3.50. Also Surefire units are so high quality that I am commonly hearing that people have had the same flashlight for 3 years and not having to replace the lamp assembly. ONe more note: Surefire is also getting into the knife market and it looks like quality to me. ;) :spyder:
i.v

Post by i.v »

i don't think it gets any better, economy wise, than rechargables.. but the ones i have seen so far are quite big & of course, if you're going camping or anywhere outdoors, flashlights with regular batteries have an advantage.

what i'd really like to see is a keychain sized rechargable flashlight with a charger like that of a cell phone & some kind of adapter that you can recharge it in the car as well... that would be great :p
Michael Cook

it can only be surefire

Post by Michael Cook »

I carry a surefire C3, 120 eyeball scortching lumens :eek: you probably want a smaller one though. :p
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Surefire 3P is my flashlight carry. But the Streamlight Keymate get's the most use.

iv is spot on!

God bless,

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Manifest

Post by Manifest »

greencobra wrote:would you be knowing what the smallest flashlight with the brightest beam would be. I'm thinking Mag Light Solitare size only with some serious intensity.
Probably HDS 60. I just ordered the HDS Ultimate 42, I'll post a review when I get it (The wait time for HDS is pretty long though).
http://www.hdssystems.com/EdcBasic.html

Maybe try searching for a Fire~fly on Candlepowerforums. Review at:
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/firefly2.htm

I've heard that the Alephs are verrrrry bright:
http://secure3.dnsaction.com/~anlighte/ ... 4ddfbdafb5

All of the above run on 1 Cr123 and cost between $125US-$200US. For comparisons sake, A surefire P60 bulb claims 60 lumens, so does the HDS Basic or Ultimate 60. However, the HDS is half the size.

For something that is ~$100 and runs on common batteries, maybe TNC Customs?
http://tnccustomproducts.com/Merchant2/ ... ry_Code=1F

Also, there's always the Surefire E1L and Nuwai QIII.

Hope that helps :D
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Surefire E2e is very small, very bright, and yields over an hour of light.

Peruse the Surefire website, they'll have a light for your needs. And they have a lifetime warranty that can't be beat. If it fails, they replace it.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

And thanks over here too for the FL info. I'll take some time tomorrow to sort out the links you gave me and investigate the recommended choices.

You guys were all over this one! :)
MeJoomeok

Post by MeJoomeok »

Surefire is the way to go.

I was always worried about the cost of batteries. But, I compensated for that.

Seems that when I just need a little bit of light, I have my handy dandy LED. If I need to fog an area with a bright beam, I use the E2E.

I wish there were something out there that could hold:

PDA
Cell Phone
Pad and Pen
4 knives
Wallet
Surefire Light
LED Light
Sunglasses
Chapstick
Toothpicks
2 sets of Keys

that is not a backpack, travelling vest, courier bag and most importantly a "MAN'S PURSE" !!!!!!!!!! :eek: :D :eek:
You can't have everything. And if you do, you're missing something.
maddox

Post by maddox »

surefire is the only way to go a nice size light for edc is the e2e its small and bright i would not recommend the e2d for an edc because the sharp bezel will shred right through your pants if you wear it inside the pocket
60 lumens is enough for most applications and BTW i personally wouldn't recommend a rechargeable light they just are not reliable if needed in tactical situations as soon as it comes off the charger its loosing power
just my opinion
mike
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

I have been carying an E2D as my edc for almost a year, i can't express how much i love this light. I own several surefire lights and this is still my personal favorite in my collection. As stated by mike, if you intend to carry it in your pocket, the bezel will no doubt chew through. Mine stays cliped to the outside of my left front pocket of my jeans all the time, and i havent had any problems. Its a great light with an outstanding amount of light, and works in all situations. If the crennulated bezel is out of your taste, stick w/ the E2E, either way you cant go wrong.
GS
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

xrob

Post by xrob »

Anyone have any opinion on the Surefire LED vs. traditional? Many people here prefer the E2E or E2D, but has anyone used any of the L models? I'm curious...

Thanks for the info.

xrob
JD Spydo

Don't agree

Post by JD Spydo »

maddox wrote:surefire is the only way to go a nice size light for edc is the e2e its small and bright i would not recommend the e2d for an edc because the sharp bezel will shred right through your pants if you wear it inside the pocket
60 lumens is enough for most applications and BTW i personally wouldn't recommend a rechargeable light they just are not reliable if needed in tactical situations as soon as it comes off the charger its loosing power
just my opinion
mike
Hey Maddox: Welcome to the Forum by the way. I hate to get off on the wrong foot here but I disagree with your assessment of the Surefire E2d not being a good flashlight to carry. I carry mine all over the place and I have not had any clothing problems at all. Plus I like the fact that it has that wicked bezel on it. IT is actually designed to be a self defense weapon of sorts. Plus right now as we speak the Surefire company is making a rechargable battery that you will be able to use in the 6p, E2d and other 2 battery lights. Sorry but I have to disagree. But Peacefully :D
BOK

Post by BOK »

I carry an E2D everyday with a KL1 head.

Has a fair bit of throw for an LED.