Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

ahhh here we go again with a subject close to your heart!
I'm with you on this one, Caracara is a bit too obvious a reference to the Byrd line to just shrug it off, and we all know Spyderco makes the best hawkbills on the market.

I think our beloved company needs to come up with something good, that's going to smoke everybody else and reclaim their position as leaders of the pack.

I still believe we could take advantage of the hight strenght of S30V to make a "rescue" hawkbill, with a fat spine PE or SE, and colored handles. Last time we had this conversation, I was "drawing" a "prototype" of what I had in mind. Now if I could just find it...

I'll get back to ya
-Dean
Hannibal Lecter

Please Do...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Jimmy_Dean wrote:I still believe we could take advantage of the high strength of S30V to make a "rescue" hawkbill, with a fat spine PE or SE, and colored handles. Last time we had this conversation, I was "drawing" a "prototype" of what I had in mind. Now if I could just find it...

I'll get back to ya
-Dean
I await your return most anxiously, Jimmy Dean. I am curious to get your take on this design.

Dialex and Daywalker have also both proven most capable designers. Would you two gentleman care to chime in on this thread, I wonder?

H
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

JD Spydo wrote:MOD ( Masters of Defense) has a new premium Hawkbill knife called the "Caracara".
I also noticed it's very close to the Byrd. "Cara Cara" I had to look it up to see if it was the hawkbill version (it's not).
Just an interesting observation.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
JD Spydo

please consider

Post by JD Spydo »

So you all are going to let my thread on the Hawkbills die!! NO I don't think so :mad: !!! This is way too important to just let it go away with little or no fanfare. If you all would consider the ramifications of what a new Hawkbill could not only do for Spyderco but what it would do to bolster the collectible aspect of the older Hawkbills. Bringing an "unconventional" knife to market surely does have it's risks but the payout if done right will be colossal. Now I know I am not the only soul here in Spyderville who likes, uses, collects, admires these masterpiece blades. IF you don't like Hawkbills I would also like to know why you don't like them. But if you do please speak up and don't be shy. :D
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Wont Let It Die Jd So Here We Go!! I Would Buy A Premium Hawkbill From Spyderco, My Wants Would Be More Defensive Than, Work Related, But I Would Want It Strong Enough To Work With If I Had To Use It. Basically Exotic Materials, Defense Oriented And Edc Capable! #9
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

And jimping! it must have good jimping for the thumb!
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
JD Spydo

A little nudge maybe?

Post by JD Spydo »

I knew you guys were out there :D . You just needed a little encouragement. Sometimes a tap on the shoulder is all you need to start a reaction. Michael I agree with you totally about the jimping. I was playing with my Yojimbo this afternoon and I was thinking how ordinary that knife would be without jimping. Also my Military would not have the firm control it has with out it. A big 10-4 on that one Michael. ;) :spyder:

Now Worker#9 you have brought out some points that I think maybe some of us have overlooked or even taken for granted. You are absolutely right this knife is going to have to be geared for practical work uses as well as having ideal self defense capabilities. There are a lot of us on the same page here we just have to find a way to convey this vital info to the hierarchy of the Great Spyder Factory. Along with different blade varieties such as CE, SE, PE and maybe things done to the backside of the blade to give it a lot of uses. OK we are back on the track again. :cool: :spyder:
ghostrider

Is this "keeping it going" enough for you?

Post by ghostrider »

These are the results so far. Most people seem in agreement on a more relaxed curve. Most are also in favor of a longer blade of 3.5”-4”, although there is even a request for a whopping 5” version.

No real consensus on blade steel.

Steels
H1
VG10
CPM-S30V
-ZDP-189

We’re all over the map on this one. More seemed in favor of CPM-S30V but the only current steels I can think of that weren’t mentioned were AUS-6, and 8.

Handle Materials
FRN
G-10
Titanium handle maybe with carbon fiber inserts.
Carbon fiber

Again there is no real single, solid voice here. The only thing that wasn’t mentioned IIRC is SS.

From what I’ve been reading here it sounds like there is basically two different camps.

One:
Premium Hawkbill.
Titanium handle maybe with carbon fiber inserts, or G-10.
An MBC rated lock.
CPM-S30V

Econoversion
30-70 dollars
FRN
VG-10 or ZDP-189

The “good” doctor did make a wise suggestion that foregoing the MBC-blade designation would help avoid the stigma of such a title. There was even a request for a bright yellow handle.

It seems that the knives made in Earth tend to draw a higher price tag than those from Seki-City. If a new hawkbill is made to claim its rightful place as industry leader, IMHO it should come from Earth, although I know too little about the new steel.
Some one suggested jimping on the thumb ramp. I proposed the following idea to Doc. H a few weeks ago as to his hawkbill concept.
[INDENT]Not just jimping on the thumb ramp but also on the handle spine. Make it like that on the Native III only reverse the direction as to aid in a draw stroke.[/INDENT]

Let me know if I left anything out.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:I await your return most anxiously, Jimmy Dean. I am curious to get your take on this design.
Thanks buddy, it's good to be back home!

-Dean
markIVbigblock

Post by markIVbigblock »

I had a design I came up with earlier but today i started packing up my dorm room and it got packed away ill see if i can find it

Aaron :spyder:
come on everyone lets try and get Sal to bring back the Q!!!
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I Think Its Important That This Hawkbill Turns Out To Be A Awesome Edc Carry, Exotic Materials So It Can Have A Ultra Slim Frame, I Mean Titanium Milled To The Limits, For Edc 3.25 Inches For Edc, In Commieformia. Light Fast And Wicked, I Need One Now! #9
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

The Vision I Have Of This Knife Is An R Type Frame In Titanium With A Wicked S30v Se. Light And Wicked! #9
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I think if a new hawkbill is going to be done we first have to figure out which market it is going to appeal to and what it is going to be used for.

If the hawkbill is going to be used for rescue or for people who work around water it is going to be marketed and constructed differently than a hawkbill that is more tactical and carry piece oriented.

Someone like a rescue worker or someone who catches lobster is not going to pay top dollar for a knife that can easily get broken or lost in the line of duty.

I think right now the thread is split into two different, general camps.

A hawkbill in glow in the dark/light reactive FRN with a H1 steel is going to appeal to the above group of people. Would that still appeal to the people who want to use this new hawkbill for EDC?

I think it is unrealistic to think that an EMT is going to drop close to a $100 or more on a knife that can be broken cutting through a car door or whatever. Same with someone who could drop the knife over the side of a boat at any moment.

If a tactical hawkbill is going to be designed I think it needs to be marketed as a tactical hawkbill. I don't think a middle of the road can be reached here. I mean, we already have the harpy, that's pretty middle of the road.

I think the best chance a new hawkbill has is to either be premium materials, an MBC rated compression lock, S30V steel, carbon fiber handles, ect, and be marketed as a top of the line tactical hawkbill

Or be cheaper materials with the H1 steel and be marketed to the rescue/fishing community.

It'd be great if both models could be made, but I don't think a small company like Spyderco with the amount of new models they release can attack both fronts at once.

I think whichever model is decided on, it MUST have a choil :)

I'd also like to see the tactical one have a less defined curve in the blade, this would better suit it for EDC.

The rescue/marine hawkbill should have a good amount of curve.

-Bryan
JD Spydo

Bases covered

Post by JD Spydo »

Vulture Parade I have covered some of those bases. I said on one of my posts that there would be at least 3 different target markets for it. Law Enforcement kind of goes without saying. The EMTs and first responders. And I very respectfully and peacefully disagree with you about them not wanting a decent blade. I have a friend who is an EMT and he loves my Spyderco blades of all varieties. I think the more you educate and let them actually use one they won't be reluctant when they see the utilitarian ability they have. You could have 3 different style variations which would ultimately appeal to several different occupations/interests. The Self Defense sector will always embrace an innovative Hawkbill design. I do think your skepticism is healthy to a degree but I do think you are underestimating the market for people who would have a bonafide use for such a blade. It CAN BE DONE!!! And It will be done with a little relentless effort. Look at it this way. There ultimately was a market for all the other Hawkbills Spyderco has made. I am just saying in this thread to continue the manufacture of Hawkbills but let's be more innovative and make them to appeal to a broader user base. But I do like a lot of the stuff you pointed out. Good thinking!!! ;) :spyder:
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

As an after thought has anyone tried the Crossbill? I know it's not a :spyder: , but here's some things we've covered in this post. From my viewing on the net this is what I gather.

-It has a more relaxed curve and CE.
-Appears to have choil. I think.
-Has 3.4" blade
-Don't know about jimping but other byrd models do have it.

I know it's not what any one here is looking for but could it give us a starting point?
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

...Slice and dice...
Stuart Ackerman

TEETH...

Stuart Ackerman

Wider...shorter...

LONE WOLF

Post by LONE WOLF »

give it a little more tip and your good to go.
Yojimbo

Post by Yojimbo »

i have a CE Crossbill (ok i know it's a Byrd) and it's really a good hawkbill. I would like :spyder: to make that same knife but with the high end materials.
They already have everything in house to make it.

:rolleyes:
決してあきらめてはいけない