Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:How would you feel about the g-10 harpy minus the lanyard hole with a tip up carry option?
Sorry I find a valid need for lanyard holes and I actually use them occasionally. Why might I ask why a lanyard hole would detract from the performance of a good folder? As far as "TIp UP or Tip DOWN carry>> personally I'm just a bit more comfortable with a tip down carry for most of my folders. But overall it's just not an issue with me at all. ...
mostly I wanted to get rid of the lanyard hole for optimal tip up carry, but they could always use a clip with a lanyard hole like the native 5 I suppose.
Again why don't they just make it to where they can put the pocket clip on both sides and both ends like they've done with other models. And with the Harpy being marketed to the fishing and seafaring type jobs you just have to have a lanyard hole because losing a Spyder overboard Is just too heartbreaking>> believe me I've been there and have experienced that and I don't want to have to do it again.

With this newer G-10 handle material it would be very easy to make the handle to where it would suit everyone's needs. Now you could eliminate the lanyard hole by simply filling it with something like JB Weld or PC7 epoxy. I've used both products for knife repairs and modifications and they both look nice when they are dry.

Speaking to Shawn & CrazyWednesday concerning both your new Crossbill folders. First of all congratulations are in order for adding another great hawkbill to your Spyder-Arsenals :cool: . But it won't be too long where you won't be content with a Byrd model and will want to progress to a high end Spyderco Hawkbill.

With all that said please bring on the G-10 Harpy in this "Year Of Our Lord" 2018 :cool: It's way past time for many highly desired New Spyderco Hawkbill models but the G-10 Harpy is a MUST!!!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JD Spydo wrote:....

With all that said please bring on the G-10 Harpy in this "Year Of Our Lord" 2018 :cool: It's way past time for many highly desired New Spyderco Hawkbill models but the G-10 Harpy is a MUST!!!
It is time :spyder:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:....

It is time :spyder:
I almost have to laugh because it seems as though this ancient thread has become more timely that it was when originally started ( 2005) :rolleyes:

I remember a core group and a cult following of guys who were at the time Hawkbill fans who were suggesting that the G-10 Harpy return in all of it's splendor only to have cold water tossed on the idea :confused:

But now that we literally have a "HAWKBILL NATION" forming right in front of our eyes I believe that the demand is not only there but it's getting bigger all the time mainly thanks to those two new small Hawkbills which are catching on fast and are selling fast as well>> i.e. the DragonHawk and the LadyHawk.

And different handle colors for different edge types can only propel sales even higher. I'll stay with G-10 because of affordability and function. But for the Harpy and Spyderhawk to have their day with G-10 handles is truly far overdue.
Mr. Shawn

Post by Mr. Shawn »

JD Spydo wrote:Speaking to Shawn & CrazyWednesday concerning both your new Crossbill folders. First of all congratulations are in order for adding another great hawkbill to your Spyder-Arsenals :cool: . But it won't be too long where you won't be content with a Byrd model and will want to progress to a high end Spyderco Hawkbill.
Thanks for being such an enabler, JD! I figure I probably will invest in a Spydie hawkbill at some point, but not before I put my Byrd hawkbill through its paces.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr. Shawn wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Speaking to Shawn & CrazyWednesday concerning both your new Crossbill folders. First of all congratulations are in order for adding another great hawkbill to your Spyder-Arsenals :cool: . But it won't be too long where you won't be content with a Byrd model and will want to progress to a high end Spyderco Hawkbill.
Thanks for being such an enabler, JD! I figure I probably will invest in a Spydie hawkbill at some point, but not before I put my Byrd hawkbill through its paces.
It's funny that you mention me as an enabler because I'm toying with the idea of starting a "Hawkbill Nation" :cool: Just like those guys over at BF who started a "Spyderco Nation". I'm embarrassed to say that I've not joined as of yet but I do like the concept ;) And you could include Reverse S models into that genre as well. Because there is something special about the Hawkbill design and it's really ironically strange that it's the two newer small Hawkbills i.e the DragonHawk and Ladyhawk that have broke the ice so to speak and made Hawkbills much more acceptable and even coveted for that matter.

I'm glad to see that you newer guys are latching on to Hawkbill models and I guess the Byrd models are a good one to start with. But trust me it won't be long you'll be craving a Spyderhawk or a Harpy when you decide to step up the ladder of these great models :cool: HAWKBILL NATION!! I like the sound of it already!! :D
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I know this mage has been posted before here, but I agree with JD (as usual),
those of you who got the Byrd ought to upgrade to the Spyderhawk at some point, even more now that we have a sprint on its way!

my Crossbill is very good (especially for the $) but won't cut as long or as aggressive or as the Spyderhawk, and this one I can't put it through the dishwasher!

it's relegated to food and light plant duties for now. :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:I know this mage has been posted before here, but I agree with JD (as usual),
those of you who got the Byrd ought to upgrade to the Spyderhawk at some point, even more now that we have a sprint on its way!

my Crossbill is very good (especially for the $) but won't cut as long or as aggressive or as the Spyderhawk, and this one I can't put it through the dishwasher!
it's relegated to food and light plant duties for now. :spyder:
Peacent!!!! I've just got to know who makes that Karambit type Hawkbill in that picture that is second from the right side? I've just got to have one of those in SE!!! Even if I've got to pay big bucks to have some company like Wiley put a serrated edge on it. Wow!! that is one cool Hawkbill my friend!!

I would love to see Spyderco do a jumbo sized Karambit type Hawkbill maybe even similar to that one I speak of at some point. But when will most people and even most knife companies realize that Hawkbill blades are about 8 times more useful with a serrated edge :confused: >> and I'm talking about a really nice serration pattern similar to the Spyderedge of course>> because not all serrated edges are created equal by any means.

Brother PEACENT you just take the cake with those super photos you share with us ;) The only problem being is that my "want list" and "gotta have lists" just keep growing bigger all the time :rolleyes: I hope you're having a great New Year my friend :cool:
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Hey JD! Truth is, marketing apart, Cold Steel makes very decent blades, deadly sharp and varied in styles and shapes.

Their rendition of the Karambit is the Tiger Claw...it might not be as refined as the Karahawk and their serrations are not nearly as good as Spyderco, but you gotta give them credit for making a strong, effective and deadly karambit with PE/SE versions and in a good quality steel (CTS-XHP) :spyder:

https://www.facebook.com/ColdSteelKnive ... 105428730/ (deployment and technique)

I wish I had the Tiger Claw, in SE especially, but I can tell you that the teeth from my CTS-XHP Cold Steels are deadly sharp and strong, noticeably more than other stainless steels
My Recon 1 XL in SE :p

deadly sharp, ridiculously aggressive

and my favorite, the Thompson Vaquero in CTS-XHP. Cauliflower slayer! :D

hopefully I haven't hijacked the thread too much, sorry if I did, I'll edit it out if you consider I should do so
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:Hey JD! Truth is, marketing apart, Cold Steel makes very decent blades, deadly sharp and varied in styles and shapes.

Their rendition of the Karambit is the Tiger Claw...it might not be as refined as the Karahawk and their serrations are not nearly as good as Spyderco, but you gotta give them credit for making a strong, effective and deadly karambit with PE/SE versions and in a good quality steel (CTS-XHP) :spyder:

https://www.facebook.com/ColdSteelKnive ... 105428730/ (deployment and technique)

I wish I had the Tiger Claw, in SE especially, but I can tell you that the teeth from my CTS-XHP Cold Steels are deadly sharp and strong, noticeably more than other stainless steels
My Recon 1 XL in SE :p

deadly sharp, ridiculously aggressive

and my favorite, the Thompson Vaquero in CTS-XHP. Cauliflower slayer! :D

hopefully I haven't hijacked the thread too much, sorry if I did, I'll edit it out if you consider I should do so
Hijacking the THREAD!!! Are you kidding me???!!! Peacent you've got to be joking I'm sure :D Brother your contributions are one of the main things that has given this old, timely Hawkbill thread a resurgence. Your constant display of other Hawkbills as well as all the other great blades you show us is truly stoking the fire and stirring the pot for newer/better Hawkbills in Spyderco's horizon.

I do think Spyderco needs to take a hard look at this Cold STeel "Tiger Claw" model Hawkbill blade. This could be the closest thing to a tactical Hawkbill that I've ever seen up till now. But then again sometimes it's the innovations of the competition that fires up the product line of the Great Spyder Factory to end up staving off their competition with something ultimately better in most cases.

I'm still wanting to see how CTS-XHP blade steel does in Spyderedge or any other serration pattern for that matter. PEACENT!!! you just keep putting them up there for us to see>> and consider that an order!! :D
Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Fellow,
JD Spydo wrote:I'm glad to see that you newer guys are latching on to Hawkbill models and I guess the Byrd models are a good one to start with. But trust me it won't be long you'll be craving a Spyderhawk or a Harpy when you decide to step up the ladder of these great models :cool: HAWKBILL NATION!! I like the sound of it already!! :D
Hawkbill Nation - interesting concept, J.D. Some of us have never strayed from love of the design, even if we have not been quite so vocal in recent times. ;)

In fact, only today I obtained a Spyderco Reverse. I immediately tossed the box - this one will be riding with me 24/7. I have been looking for something to carry as an equalizer for the rare occasions when a firearm is ill-advised, as well as a nice backup for said firearm, and the Reverse is *perfect* for this application.

I've been sporting a karambit for a very long time now, and will likely always have one nearby, but this reverse is just a fantastic defensive blade. My deep concealment sheath and trainer from Zulu Bravo Kydex should arrive next week if fortune holds.

My beloved Tasman Salt is clipped to my PDF on a retractable cord to keep it close by while playing in the ocean.

My Harpy, the one that started my fascination with all things Spyderco, is still close by. A close friend and co-worker retired late last year, and a NIB Spyderco Harpy was one of my retirement gifts to him (along with a bottle of Scotch).

I'm astonished this thread is still going after all this time - it has to have set some kind of record.

I have also determined after catching up on this thread that I positively *need* a G10 Crossbill.

-----------
Hannibal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Fellow,
JD Spydo wrote:I'm glad to see that you newer guys are latching on to Hawkbill models and I guess the Byrd models are a good one to start with. But trust me it won't be long you'll be craving a Spyderhawk or a Harpy when you decide to step up the ladder of these great models :cool: HAWKBILL NATION!! I like the sound of it already!! :D
Hawkbill Nation - interesting concept, J.D. Some of us have never strayed from love of the design, even if we have not been quite so vocal in recent times. ;)

In fact, only today I obtained a Spyderco Reverse.

I've been sporting a karambit for a very long time now

My Harpy, the one that started my fascination with all things Spyderco, is still close by. A close friend and co-worker retired late last year, and a NIB Spyderco Harpy was one of my retirement gifts to him (along with a bottle of Scotch).

I'm astonished this thread is still going after all this time - it has to have set some kind of record.

I have also determined after catching up on this thread that I positively *need* a G10 Crossbill.
Doctor LECTER!!! My dear old friend :) Great to see you here at "HAWKBILL NATION" and I believe this old thread might just give birth to such a creature. Hannibal my dear friend you were one of the members that really catapulted this thread all the way back at 2005 and it's never ever died :cool:

I've been taking a serious look at the REVERSE model and I'll probably snag one at some point. Because I've been craving a fixed blade Hawkbill for quite some time now. Do you remember "Ceya's Hawk"? I'm wondering if the good Brother is still with us because I haven't heard from him in a while.

I do believe that this thread was probably the catalyst for the SUPERHAWK model which I believe would have been a blockbuster had they offered it in Spyderedge and why they didn't is still one of those Unsolved Mysteries to me :confused:

A Hawkbill without serrations is like Laurel without Hardy or the Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger or Peter, Paul & Mary with Mary now gone. There are just some things that truly go good together and Hawkbill blades are truly meant to be provided with a serious set of teeth :cool: IMO.

Doctor Lecter!!!! Let the Thread continue>> because even though it started back in 2005>> I believe it's more timely now than it was then>> because NOW IS STILL THE TIME: For A New Hawkbill :cool: This thread will continue to have a purpose and still does. We have a new generation of Spyderheads and they MUST know the virtues of a Good Hawkbill ;)
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

this thread is so old and long lasting but still alive and revived every few months because Hawkbill blades are an oddity among knife companies and there is truly a fan community or cult about these type of blades, :cool:

who resort time after time to Spyderco because they know all and every hawk they make is in one or many ways above any of the competition's iterations :o

and we still all hope to have a "perfect hawk" made for us, trusting Spyderco to some day make it real for us.
That "dream hawk" is different for each of us, be it a G10, SE LC200N Superhawk or a revived Harpy with Titanium handle, tool steel and ball bearing lock, and all the spectrum in between.
The other brand never got as close to that unicorn IMO as Sal did :rolleyes:

This thread won't die as long as some of us advocate for the Hawkbill as the most versatile companion to a sharp, straight PE blade :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:this thread is so old and long lasting but still alive and revived every few months because Hawkbill blades are an oddity among knife companies and there is truly a fan community or cult about these type of blades, :cool:

who resort time after time to Spyderco because they know all and every hawk they make is in one or many ways above any of the competition's iterations :o
and we still all hope to have a "perfect hawk" made for us, trusting Spyderco to some day make it real for us.
That "dream hawk" is different for each of us, be it a G10, SE LC200N Superhawk or a revived Harpy with Titanium handle, tool steel and ball bearing lock, and all the spectrum in between.
The other brand never got as close to that unicorn IMO as Sal did :rolleyes:

This thread won't die as long as some of us advocate for the Hawkbill as the most versatile companion to a sharp, straight PE blade :spyder:
Very interesting and thought provoking rundown of why Spyderco's Hawkbills are truly gaining a serious cult following and with hardly no competition to speak of either. I guess you could say that Cold Steel and maybe two other companies have made half hearted attempts at competing with the Great Spyder Factory but no one in my humble opinion fills the void for premium Hawkbill blades like Spyderco does.

Your suggestion of seriously revamped models like the SUPERHAWK on steroids that you make mention of ( I really like that suggestion by the way) or taking the Harpy model to a new and different level which will further separate Spyderco from their competition IMO.

Actually I've got to re-think the term "cult following" because the more Brethren we sell to have Hawkbills for companion blades it won't be too long before they have a much wider customer base. If we can increase the demand for Hawkbills ( which I believe we are doing a better job of recently) I don't think it will be long before we see sales go up exponentially. I think we are already seeing signs of it with the two new little Hawkbills exploding in popularity.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Hey, JD, hopefully I'm not sabotaging this thread again with non-Spyderco blades...sorry in advance if so.

I am sure we could all agree to a point that when a knife, design or model proves popular and has great success, the Chinese companies and brands that outsource their models to be made in China are quick to follow and "copy", "remake" or release their own version of that blade.

If that is correct it's to be assumed that the fact that Schrade, Real Steel, SanRenMu, Boker and Steel Will among others have produced their own Hawkbill fixed blades these last months means that there's a growing market for these :o

Lots of people must be buying them as they're much more popular, and they seem to be good sellers so far.

Does this mean we're getting closer to having good Hawkbill fixed -and folder- knives from most if not all manufacturers in the near future? :rolleyes:
Even if not up to Spyderco quality levels, if these cheaper hawks attract people to these blade shapes, and more and more knife nuts become fond of the curved knives, more of them ought to "Upgrade" at some point and try out a Spydie hawkbill. :cool:

And then the market and interest grows, hopefully soon :spyder:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Fellow,

In fact, only today I obtained a Spyderco Reverse. I immediately tossed the box - this one will be riding with me
HAWKBILL NATION!!! Indeed Doctor Lecter!!! This is something that should have spoken about a long time ago ;) With the obvious surge in popularity of curved blades in general the HAWKBILL blade is really now being taken more seriously more than I can ever recall.

And it's so ironic in a way that the new Little Hawkbills i.e. the LadyHawk and DragonHawk have literally led a revival in the sector of Hawkbill blades and it's even caused more popularity in the Reverse S blade sector as well. But it won't be long now that Hawkbills in all size ranges will be in more "blade user arsenals" than have been in the past and by a wide margin I might add.

It has indeed been strange that the potential of the Hawkbill blade (no matter what size range) is being taken seriously more than ever at this point.

yeah Doctor Lecter I really love the sound of HAWKBILL NATION!! :cool: It really grows on you doesn't it :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ThePeacent wrote:Hey, JD, hopefully I'm not sabotaging this thread again with non-Spyderco blades...sorry in advance if so.

I am sure we could all agree to a point that when a knife, design or model proves popular and has great success, the Chinese companies and brands that outsource their models to be made in China are quick to follow and "copy", "remake" or release their own version of that blade.

If that is correct it's to be assumed that the fact that Schrade, Real Steel, SanRenMu, Boker and Steel Will among others have produced their own Hawkbill fixed blades these last months means that there's a growing market for these :o

Lots of people must be buying them as they're much more popular, and they seem to be good sellers so far.

Does this mean we're getting closer to having good Hawkbill fixed -and folder- knives from most if not all manufacturers in the near future? :rolleyes:
Even if not up to Spyderco quality levels, if these cheaper hawks attract people to these blade shapes, and more and more knife nuts become fond of the curved knives, more of them ought to "Upgrade" at some point and try out a Spydie hawkbill. :cool:

And then the market and interest grows, hopefully soon :spyder:
Again Brother PEACENT!!! you've just got to be kidding me!!! Sabotaging this thread??!!! NO Way!! Your timely contributions are truly getting the eyeballs of many here at Spyderville to take a much more serious look at Hawkbill and Reverse S blades both.

Hey!!! How are we going to know how Spyderco's great Hawkbill blades stack up against the competition if we don't take a closer look at them?

No my friend you are most definitely going down the right road with your timely and most interesting contributions. Because NOW more than EVER is truly the "Time For A New Hawkbill" :cool: Fixed blade and folders both I might add ;)

And on top of that you got my great pal "Doctor Hannibal Lecter" out of his hibernation period :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Mr. Shawn wrote:
I've actually been really tempted several times to get one of those Byrd Crossbill models. As much of a Spyderco "purist" as I am it's been hard to pull the trigger even at that. I keep holding out hope that we might see a Sprint Run of the SUPERHAWK or a new Hawkbill with a similar blade configuration. Or even a SPYDERCO version of the Crossbill with a premium blade steel would also add some intrigue as well.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Have there been any hints as to when the Spyderhawk Sprint will drop?
Also, is the orange color the same as the bright orange found on the VG-10 and S30V Delicas? I assume so, just making sure.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ABX2011 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:06 pm
Have there been any hints as to when the Spyderhawk Sprint will drop?
Also, is the orange color the same as the bright orange found on the VG-10 and S30V Delicas? I assume so, just making sure.
I'm waiting just as anxiously as you are and as most other Hawkbill fans here at Spyderville are. Yeah they've got us all on pins & needles anticipating the new SPYDERHAWK model. Another step toward HAWKBILL NATION!!! :cool: And the more variants and the more different sized Hawkbills we have the more the fan base is going to expand>> I'm 1000% sure of it ;)

My good pal Doctor Lecter and I have been trying diligently to get people to at least give them a one week tryout as a companion blade>> I do believe that most avid knife users would end up finding them to be a great addition to their daily cutting tools.

I'm also very pleasantly surprised that the General himself ( Sal Glesser) even chimed in a spoke positively of the possibility of a GOLDEN, CO USA Earth Hawkbill model :cool: I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed and seriously hoping that comes to fruition. Because if they would make a premium GOLDEN made Hawkbill that would open the market much wider IMO. Because a lot of serious Spyderheads are huge fans of the GOLDEN made units for sure!!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd be pretty disappointed if I missed out on the Spyderhawk sprint. One of my all time favorite users. I want all the back ups I can get. We need a fixed blade spyderhawk with a ring on the end.