Spyderco - I feel troubled.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jurphaas

Spyderco - I feel troubled.

Post by Jurphaas »

Dear Spyderco - My name is Jurphaas, I am on this forum since many years and, like you, I am a big Spyderco fan.

I have a problem with you using the product name Spyderco as your forum identity. Spyderco is a protected company- and product name that, in my opinion, you cannot just use as you like. Unless Sal Glesser gave you specific permission to use it, I would kindly ask you to chance your forum identity.

Not in the least is it is my intention to harm or insult you in any way. I just felt to inform you about my opinion. I hope you will understand and act accordingly as this is a very nice forum with some incredible people taking part.

Thank you for your consideration.
Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Jurphaas wrote:I also have a problem with you using the product name Spyderco as your forum identity. Spyderco is a protected company- and product name that, in my opinion, you cannot just use as you like. Unless Sal Glesser gave you specific permission to use it, I would kindly ask you to chance your forum identity.
Well, now that it was brought up, the first time I saw the name used on the forums, I thought it was a company spokesperson. I know better now but it could be misleading. Just my thoughts.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Jurphaas has a good point about it being a protected trademark, besides, it can be somewhat confusing.

Spyderco, or Spyderco.
:)
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

I can "fourth" that setiment on the name.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

I said the same thing in his first post. I thought it was someone from Spyderco. That name should be nixxed.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Not to hijack your thread Jurphaas, but IMO it might be related.

I wonder how many tag's 'vinny77' is using on these forums. He has been known to post under two different tag's in the same thread and it seems lately there are others in this forum exuding a similar behavior and attitude. Almost a pattern if you will.

Don't know for sure if it's true but it is curious.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

Personally I don't think it's anyone's business except Spyderco (the company) what user name people choose on the forum, and they obviously hadn't precluded it from being used. I'm just surprised no one had tried registering it before.
sgt

Post by sgt »

I believe Ghostrider is very astute and right on track with his observations.
Scotch

Post by Scotch »

7 names
in
11 countrys
on
3 continents

this is an actually post. Why do you even care. If i was named Ford or Benchmade would you really care. Il tell ya it aint me. but really how could you even be worried about that. Its not your company and he is not doing anything to you personnaly. so why even bother mentioning it.

maybe you will call Spyderco Lawyer: DANA HARTJE CARDWELL

Spyderco is not even copyrighted It is a registed Trademark.

What Is a Copyright?

Copyright is a form of protection provided to the authors of "original works of authorship" including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works, both published and unpublished. The 1976 Copyright Act generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to reproduce the copyrighted work, to prepare derivative works, to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work, to perform the copyrighted work publicly, or to display the copyrighted work publicly.

The copyright protects the form of expression rather than the subject matter of the writing. For example, a description of a machine could be copyrighted, but this would only prevent others from copying the description; it would not prevent others from writing a description of their own or from making and using the machine. Copyrights are registered by the Copyright Office of the Library of Congress.

What Is a Trademark or Servicemark?

A trademark is a word, name, symbol or device which is used in trade with goods to indicate the source of the goods and to distinguish them from the goods of others. A servicemark is the same as a trademark except that it identifies and distinguishes the source of a service rather than a product. The terms "trademark" and "mark" are commonly used to refer to both trademarks and servicemarks.

Trademark rights may be used to prevent others from using a confusingly similar mark, but not to prevent others from making the same goods or from selling the same goods or services under a clearly different mark. Trademarks which are used in interstate or foreign commerce may be registered with the Patent and Trademark Office. The registration procedure for trademarks and general information concerning trademarks is described in a separate pamphlet entitled "Basic Facts about Trademarks".

and alot of things arent protected by Spyderco. such as the sharpmaker test. I could copy and sell that bad boy if i wanted.
Senate

Post by Senate »

well personally I think that he's not the one to be blamed for chosing this nickname, it's an error from the administrator of this forum who didn't reserved some keywords for the Spyderco team. for exemple Sal is registered under "sal" but I'm almost sure if I try to create an account with "Sal Glesser" (like on the BFC) it will work... there lies a flaw that should be corrected...
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Scotch wrote:7 names
in
11 countrys
on
3 continents
Ah yes, the wonders of science.
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

The lynchpin of trademark law is consumer confusion. That's not from a pamplet, that's from personal exeperience in trademark cases. I think there's a good argument that the use of the name "Spyderco" on this forum is confusing to consumers, who are interested in buying Spyderco knives after all, because it implies that the forum user Spyderco's posts either originate from or are otherwise approved by Spyderco the company. The user name should go.
Moon

Post by Moon »

Zrexxer wrote:Personally I don't think it's anyone's business except Spyderco (the company) what user name people choose on the forum, and they obviously hadn't precluded it from being used. I'm just surprised no one had tried registering it before.
I concur.

I never thought for a moment that the person with the username "spyderco" was affiliated with the company, but I definetly see how some people might think so.
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

I agree as well.

The name of this thread had me confused for a moment too.
Jurphaas feeling troubled by Spyderco?

This forum can be read by all visitors. Confusing them in any way can't be in the interest of the company and should be avoided. As far as I'm concerned we are guests here and should behave accordingly.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zrexxer wrote:Personally I don't think it's anyone's business except Spyderco (the company) what user name people choose on the forum, and they obviously hadn't precluded it from being used. I'm just surprised no one had tried registering it before.
Senate wrote: well personally I think that he's not the one to be blamed for chosing this nickname, it's an error from the administrator of this forum who didn't reserved some keywords for the Spyderco team. for exemple Sal is registered under "sal" but I'm almost sure if I try to create an account with "Sal Glesser" (like on the BFC) it will work... there lies a flaw that should be corrected...
Would you also feel it was a case of carelessness on the administrator's part rather than rudeness on the individual's part if every obscene word, ethinic slur, and other offensive phrase were not locked out and someone elected to use one of them? Sorry, I don't buy into the theory that anything that's not under lock and key is fair game. Kind of like saying it's ok to walk into someone's orchard and help yourself to some apples because they neglected to put up a fence around it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Jur',
Whoa...the thread title threw me off! When ya used a capitol "S" for the Spyderco you were troubled by, I thought it the actual company!

The forumite's handle you are referring to threw me off as well, and I do agree with you on this "name change"...

As with ghostrider, it's confusing :confused: :rolleyes:

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
HoB

Post by HoB »

I guess there is a difference between law and good taste and decency. What is permitted by law is not necessarily permitted by good taste and decency. Some people have trouble distinguishing this it seems.

But looking at Vinny's last post, and at the mis-spellings of spyderco's response to the Deacon, I just wonder....

And Vinny: Classes and information on IP aren't exclusive to your school. All scientists and many, many professional people working for companies that have intellectual property to protect get a basic training in IP rights.
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

I agree with Jur, it is poor taste at least and borders on intentional misrepresentation and dishonesty from there.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
hardkiss

Post by hardkiss »

is it that BIG of a deal that spyderco has used that name..like stated b4 i am surprised that it hasn't been taken..who cares what name is used..if they didn't want it to be used (Spyderco) they would have used it or registered it or someway that it can't be used..just a name..
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

Spyderco, as an outside observer, you're getting into a world of deep stuff here. What I would suggest is you give up the name as a goodwill gesture, have the administrators retire it because if someone else came up with it we'll have problems over again, and make nice with Deacon.

I might think you would want to do that last part in private instead of a public forum. You do have a tendency to get defensive quickly and easily. That's like being in quicksand, the more you struggle the faster you sink.

Just my thoughts, and we can then go back to playing in the sandbox like good boys and girls. :D