My New Companion...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hannibal Lecter

My New Companion...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Good day!

The latest addition to my household, five feet of Red-Tailed Boa Constrictor obtained from a private collector; we purchased him via the local pet store where my Lady and I volunteer time to help keep the reptiles healthy.

BTW, his name is Zeus. :D

---
Ta,

Hannibal
Attachments
Zeus small.jpg
Zeus small.jpg (46.01 KiB) Viewed 1060 times
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
CKE

Post by CKE »

YIKES :eek: Sorry but not a snake lover. Congrats on your new pet :) Take Care!!!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Dr.!

WOW! What a beauty!!! I wish we had snakes here...and I do mean REAL snakes, not the "two legged versions" walking about... :p

God bless, e ya soon. :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Very nice Hannibal, I had one about that size twenty some odd years ago. How's his disposition?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
CKE

Post by CKE »

Snakes have a disposition :eek:
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Nice Snake, Yes They Have Dispositions, My Brother Had A Burmese Python, And That Thing Was Mean And Strong As Mule Piss. Just A Nasty Tough Snake, Had To Sell It After It Attacked Our Dad. We Were In High School Now About 20 Years Ago. I Never Liked That Snake. But We Did Also Have A Rosy Boa That Was Nice. #9
Hannibal Lecter

Wonderful...

The Deacon wrote:Very nice Hannibal, I had one about that size twenty some odd years ago. How's his disposition?
Exceptional. When he first came into the pet store six odd months ago he was being eaten alive by scale mites and yet never offered to strike. I have helped many people get over their fear of snakes with the assistance of this lovable serpent.

---
Ta,

Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

WORKER#9 wrote:Nice Snake, Yes They Have Dispositions, My Brother Had A Burmese Python, And That Thing Was Mean And Strong As Mule Piss. Just A Nasty Tough Snake, Had To Sell It After It Attacked Our Dad. We Were In High School Now About 20 Years Ago. I Never Liked That Snake. But We Did Also Have A Rosy Boa That Was Nice. #9
What is with the first letter of every word being capital? Is that a condition or something? Just wondered.

Thanks,
Fisher of Men :)
Fisher of Men

Post by Fisher of Men »

Cool snake.

I just don't like what and how you have to feed it. ;)

Cheers,
Fisher of Men
OutofGum

Post by OutofGum »

The first letter caps are probably cause by posting using a mobile device. Some of them do that for some reason.

When I first saw the picture the scene from road trip sprang into my mind.

What do you feed it?
To the pessimist the glass is half empty, to the optimist the glass is half full, to the engineer its twice as big as it needs to be.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Sweeeeeeet Doc.

And yes, snakes do have dispositions. 15 years ago I had a ball python and she did (Red tail was my first ambition but when I saw her in absence of the boa the ball is what I ended up with). She was fine with me but not others when I wasn't around. At the time I was 136 pounds at 5'8". I had a buddy who was 6'3" and about 260. I once needed him to meet me at my apartment. He got there before I did and let himself in. He said he never heard a snake hiss that loud :eek: . Told me I had a "watch snake". It does matter how much you handle them.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

OutofGum wrote:....What do you feed it?
My son has one at his house. He feeds it rats :eek: . I must remember to ask him how often he buys a rat to feed it. Not my cup of tea :D .
i.v

Post by i.v »

that is a cool snake... do you feed it hipo's? no? you will soon enough :D
Hannibal Lecter

Feeding Time...

Good morning!

Zeus shed this morning; there will be a feeding soon.

As far as what he eats: mice typically, although boa constrictors have been noted to eat birds, rats, rabbits, and bats also. Gerbils and hamsters are also fair game. Some are more finicky eaters than others.

How often? It depends on how big you want them to get. Reptiles in general grow based on food intake constantly throughout their lives.

I prefer keeping them on the smaller side. :D

As a side note, I despise mice and rats; I consider them nothing more than food for higher forms of life, so I hardly have a problem feeding them to my snakes. ;)

As an aside, since Zeus has shed I have heard from my Lady via telephone. As it turns out Zeus is extremely active this morning and will instantly head for the top of the cage as soon as it is opened in hopes of getting out to be handled. He will positively crawl up your arm. :D

I think I'll let him swim a bit tonight in the tub just for fun; I think he'll enjoy it.

---
Ta,

Hannibal Lecter
---------------------

zeus

Post by zeus »

[quote="Hannibal Lecter"]Good morning!

Zeus shed this morning]

OH Dear I hate when that happens...............
Buddha-boy

Post by Buddha-boy »

Nice addition to your collection or borderline collector items! Maybe some shrunken Dayak heads could spice up the livingroom ! :p

:D
Free your mind, and you will find peace