Amsterdam preview show REPORT!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ted

Amsterdam preview show REPORT!

Post by Ted »

So, what a show it was. It started at 14:00 at the Nemo museum.
As Jur promised, Sal & Eric brought at least 50 prototypes. :eek:
The first ones that went round were the SpyderFly's. Some were sharp, and it didn't take long before blood was dripping on the carpet :D Luckily several people packed band-aids.
A new one was the smaller SpyderFly. This one will for example be legal for the dutch market. I didn't have a ruler with me so can't give the exact size. The blade was probably around 3"

Small notice about the pics. All are with permission from Spyderco. All models in the pictures are scheduled for production (some exceptions will be noted). Some are in production as we speak and most of them will be this year. However, most dealers will not have them, or will not know when they will get them.
So, there is no use calling your dealer or Spyderco about delivery dates. Just be patient :D

The small fly was really 'cute'. I think I'll get one when it get's out ... just because... ;)

After that came the CF Harpy. This is a sprint run scheduled for end of this year, both in PE & SE VG-10 blades

After that, a really classy piece - the Almite Walker. Boxer93 already announced that sometime ago. The handle is gray-blue Almite coated. VG-10 blade. Scheduled in a couple of months.

Then the R2. Beautifull! VG-10 flatground blade. Almite Aluminum handles. Finger choil. Grooves for the thumb and in the choil. Destined to become an excellent slicer!

...more in the following post
Ted

Post by Ted »

Next we saw the droppoint D'Allara that has been mentioned earlier in the forum. I have a picture but need to double-check with Sal if I can post it, so that will be after the IWA. I liked it a lot. It's thinner then the original D'Allara, but still with the 3D scales. Really nice grind on the tip of the blade too, and a larger ball-lock so easier to open/close.

<check for picture later>

Then there was the Waved Endura, need to check also about the picture. I never worked with a waved blade, but tried it for the first time and got it to open out of my pocket in a couple of tries. Sal also demonstrated but I must have blinked my eyes because one moment it was in his pants, and the next moment opened in his hands :eek:

<check for picture later>

Then there was the long awaited Ocelot. As posted earlier, a front-lock with VG-10 blade, G-10 scales with paw-print-cut-outs, dual steel liners. Looks like a perfect hiking/camping knife.

Navigator 2 was next. Pics were posted here earlier on the forum. Here's a new one.

A version with a bolster and different handle materials will also come out. I have a picture of one but need to check if I can post it.

Then we saw a range of Kopa's. The next Kopa is black micarta, and then white evrina.

The evrina is whither then it is on the picture. We also saw about 6 other handle materials, some coral (legal), stone, bone etc. I'll post pictures of those later. These were just test pieces. No decisions have been made on future handle materials for the Kopa series.

...more in next post
buferoe

love those pictures..

Post by buferoe »

hi Ted,

Just came in and started my Computer too see if there were already some pictures.
Must say that R2 is great also the white Kopa lovely. :)
Keep them comming i cant wait to see the rest.

thanks in advance,

regards,

Buferoe
Ted

Post by Ted »

Then we got too handle several concept models. A really sturdy medium size G-10 folder with an odd-shaped slighty recurved blade.

There was a piece from custom maker Anzo.

And, a Wharncliff Centofante. This one is scheduled for somewhere in 2006!

We got to see an update remote release, the big 5" folder (nick name Bison), the prototype from Daywalker (nifty little folder!) and a special Cricket.
(these were all concepts, so no decision on production!)

Then there was an all black Karambit and all black SS ATR

Both are 'all' black, including pins, screws, clips etc.

Next was the Salsa 2, some variations on the UK Penknife and a first rough concept of a smaller Manix.

For the danish market Spyderco made a variation of the UK Penknife, with a 2.5" blade and a non-functional hole. ( one-hand opening folders are illegal in Denmark). Indeed, you needed two hands to open this one.

larger pic
denn

Post by denn »

yeah, i loved the R2 and the Ocelot, those were some great knives. i also discovered another thing, the Kopa's and Kiwi's were way smaller than i imagined them to be. i must have weird fingers or something but i couldn't handle them very well in the opening and closing. they seemed so tiny and slippery.

keep the pics and info coming Ted!

btw1. i also posted a "report-thread' for those interested to read and contribute

btw2. i also dragged my father along with his camera and he shot some pics too. when i get them from him i'll post them.

denn :cool:
Ted

Post by Ted »

still more too come :D

a rescue knife made together with Fox in Italy. Looked very good and functional!

A concept model of a 'pikal' knife. See the thread on BFC for more info.
Then we got too handle some new locks designs.

Next was a proto of the Kumo. The size of the :spyder: bug will be different in the actual production model. The knife was really light for fixed blade this size.

Ed Schempp and Spyderco designed a large camp knife which will be used in a contest later this year. Can't remember the exact details about the contents. Well, if this knife isn't gonna win it, I don't know what knife will... :D Samo, you'll probably want one for in the jungle!

Then we got to handle the complete Byrd range. Pictures of those have been posted so I won't repeat those. Sante Fe already did their beautifull work on them. Here's one example:

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Thanks for the pictures Ted, can see this is going to be a VERY expensive year for me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Wow, you guys are fast!

Just came back from the show, again, it was simply awesome! indeed we saw some 50 prototypes! Attendance was good too, more people than last year. So good chances that next year there will be another show... :rolleyes:

Things that stood out for me

Daywalker's knife, great piece chad, indeed it should be about 10% bigger for it to be perfect. Chad, good sir, you have talent! It will be part of my rotation when it comes out.

The Pikal folder, grrrrreat piece, very light, very intuitive. Much more natural to open and use than you'd expect from this 'backwards' knife.

The bison, g'day mate THIS is a real knoife! Big piece, very comfy multiple grip options, it didn't feel heavy at all. Very utility oriented.

The D'allara drop point, I feel it's the heavy-duty brother of the Endura. Thinner than the 'old' d'allara rescue.

The Brian Tighe collab, huge, hefty, must have, I must have left some drool spots on that one, sorry for that. It's cool in the same way the Szabofly is.

That's it for now, just too much protos to process. More later. Ted, thanks for the pics, please post 'em if you got 'em (and if it's allowed ofcourse!).

It was nice to see some of the forumites, from Holland and Germany!

Jur, thanks for setting up this great event, great and clever setting (science museum), you are a great host!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Ted

Post by Ted »

uh...what did I gorget.... :confused:

oh yeah, a very odd ball-lock design from Eric. Once you have it in your hand, it turns out to feel very good. And the ball-lock design is very smart!

Then we some some tool ideas, don't know what I can tell about those...

As desert :D a little off-topic but someone brought the fixed blade design from Dialex that's being made by Ceya knives. So this is not a Spyderco knife.

So, that's it for now. I have more pics but need to check with Sal & crew before posting them.
This was how the show looked:

So, again, it was a great show. Many thanks to Jurphaas for arranging this together with Spyderco, and to Spyderco for taking the time to show us all those models. It was also great to see the other forumities.
Who knows and this thing might get bigger every year!

Ted
Senate

Post by Senate »

great REPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! more more pictures. show us some of the Glessers and the forum members.

I like the baby Fly and black ATR a lot!
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Ted

Post by Ted »

forgot one more, the Spyker. Pics were posted earlier but here's one from the show.
Hefty folder!

Final pic, a possible Kopa variant:

Senate

Post by Senate »

I can't wait for the Spyker, it's gorgeous. any update on the release date?

and that Kopa with the bug *drool*
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Some quick pics I shot, the conference room and the knives from Jur's collection that were for sale. Finally my dad traded in the Laguiole I gave him many years ago for a Spydie. He walked away with a classic PE Viele and a sharpmaker. So my life is a lot easier now! :p I walked away with a nice numbered blue Yojimbo, that was on my wish list for some time.

I got a chance to talk a bit with Sal after the presentation, getting some background info on the ocelot. Eric seemed way too busy showing off his balisong skills :D to some of the other forumites. He sure knows how to make a Spyderfly dance! Both were great presenters, laid back, informative and thorough.

I brought my fiancee and father, to introduce them 'into' my world. These gatherings are very special and both were pleasantly surprised by the Glessers, Jur and the rest of the spyderknuts. We are not all insane maniacs with way too sharp knives after all :D
Attachments
jursale.jpg
jursale.jpg (56.91 KiB) Viewed 5234 times
venue.jpg
venue.jpg (87.21 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Ted

Post by Ted »

Forgot to mention my favorite of the evening, that's the d'Allara drop-point!
As I said just need to double-check with Sal and then I'll post a pic!

Oh, and 2nd came the bolstered Navigator 2 ! :D

And we saw some new test Byrd models with liner-locks. These we're very well made with nice aluminum handles. Will sure buy some of those!

Ted
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Here's a quick pic of the flyer we got introducing the upcoming sprint runs. I think it's ok to show since they have all been discussed, if not let me know and I'll take it down right away. Fans of colored Spydies, are going to be very happy! Caveat: these will not come out for a few months!

Wouter
Attachments
sprinruns.jpg
sprinruns.jpg (89.26 KiB) Viewed 5270 times
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Ted - my dear friend, thanks for your support over the months and for all the pictures taken! With out you it would hve been only text and bla-bla-bla. Now the whole Forum is up and awake and sorry that they all stayed home......... :D :p :) ;)

We'll see each other in Nürnberg later this week.
Cheers, Jur.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
UK KEN

A great set of knives!

Post by UK KEN »

Ted

Great looking knives! I would have loved to be there.....but my family needed me more!

Just to say a BIG THANK YOU to you and others who attended for sharing the experience with me and others who couldn’t be there. ;)

Regards, Ken
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Two things to say here:

1. That smaller Spyderfly looks absolutely fantastic. I can't wait until that one hits the streets.

2. I really hope you can post the pic of the Drop Point D'Allara soon.

Great pics all around. Thanks for sharing.
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Ted!

Mahalo my friend for such great photos and commentary!!! :D

Thanks to you also Wouter...glad you liked my design. ;)

As UK KEN said, THANK YOU for going through all the trouble downloading photos, writing reviews, trying to figure out what ya could/couldn't print, just to share with all the rest of us who could not attend such a great event...

Parting note: As Paul said, "Looks like it's gonna be an expensive year for me".
Lord, is he right again!!! :eek:

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
antoine

Post by antoine »

oh god !!! you're lucky lucky boys !

mmmhmm !, I like eric's design very much.

Antoine.