Sharpening VG-10

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ghostrider

Sharpening VG-10

Post by ghostrider »

I just finished sharpening VG-10 for the first time. Mind you I've been using a VG-10 blade for about four to five months (just not a :spyder: ) and never needed to do anything but occasoinaly steel the edge. It even had small ussage chips in the edge but still shaved hairs. Thats the reason I turned to :spyder: in the first place.

Anyway I just finished sharpening my Native III and it's scary. It's actuallly sharper than my brand new outoftheboxtoday Endura. This stuff is awesome. :D
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha ghostrider!

Right on bro! So are ya making them lightsaber sound effects when ya open her up? :D

Careful now...

God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
i.v

Post by i.v »

VG10 is awesome indeed!
daywalker, you need starwars rehab :p
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Yep, VG10 is the right stuff.

JD
JD Spydo

Edge that grabs

Post by JD Spydo »

A Big 10-4 on that VG-10 having a good edge when freshly sharpened. It seems to have an edge that really grips and grabs what you are cutting into. I believe that is why Mr. Glesser probably used it on that Fixed Blade Moran first and foremost. It's really funny that after you use about 2 or 3 of these different premium stainless blade steels that you get to know the characteristics of each of them. When you got a blade with premium steel in it you just know it even when you do something as simple as open a bag of potato chips. :spyder: :)
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Awesome indeed, a hard steel that takes a very fine edge real easy. Love it.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

JD Spydo wrote:When you got a blade with premium steel in it you just know it even when you do something as simple as open a bag of potato chips. :spyder: :)
TRUE... TRUE.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

now if you like spydie vg-10, go get a spydie s30v...

I'm almost afraid to see what happens if Sal puts out a d2 folder. My BM with 30v is "soft" compared to spydie 30v... and I spent an hour sharpening a BM in d2 last night.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

vampyrewolf wrote:now if you like spydie vg-10, go get a spydie s30v...

I'm almost afraid to see what happens if Sal puts out a d2 folder. My BM with 30v is "soft" compared to spydie 30v... and I spent an hour sharpening a BM in d2 last night.
It just so happens that this afternoon, by chance, I stopped into a local sporting goods store just because I wanted to wait out rush hour in this nasty wheather and lo and behold! They had some :spyder: 's on clearance. One of them was the Native S30V for $44.97. I asked the sales person to speak to the manager about taking more off the price. Ten minutes later I walked out the door of the place with a knife I paid $42.37 that I couldn't win on ebay last month for $50.00 + shipping.

DAYWALKER
Right on bro! So are ya making them lightsaber sound effects when ya open her up?

No, but sure sounds like my Endura does when I open it. What a hammer!
My first knife made in Earth.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

It just so happens that this afternoon, by chance, I stopped into a local sporting goods store just because I wanted to wait out rush hour in this nasty wheather and lo and behold! They had some :spyder: 's on clearance. One of them was the Native S30V for $44.97. I asked the sales person to speak to the manager about taking more off the price. Ten minutes later I walked out the door of the place with a knife I paid $42.37 that I couldn't win on ebay last month for $50.00 + shipping.

DAYWALKER
Right on bro! So are ya making them lightsaber sound effects when ya open her up?

My first knife made in Earth. I think I did pretty well with that score.

[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

It just so happens that this afternoon, by chance, I stopped into a local sporting goods store just because I wanted to wait out rush hour in this nasty wheather and lo and behold! They had some :spyder: 's on clearance. One of them was the Native S30V for $44.97. I asked the sales person to speak to the manager about taking more off the price. Ten minutes later I walked out the door of the place with a knife I paid $42.37 for that I couldn't win on ebay last month for $50.00 + shipping.

DAYWALKER

[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

It just so happens that this afternoon, by chance, I stopped into a local sporting goods store just because I wanted to wait out rush hour in this nasty wheather and lo and behold! They had some :spyder: 's on clearance. One of them was the Native S30V for $44.97. I asked the sales person to speak to the manager about taking more off the price. Ten minutes later I walked out the door of the place with a knife I paid $42.37 for that I couldn't win on ebay last month for $50.00 + shipping.

DAYWALKER

[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Sorry about the multi-posts. Must not have been paying attention. :o
[INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:

Mariner

Post by Mariner »

And Lord knows, I sure do appreciate that hour's sharpening time on the BM in D2.
You're a prince among men :D .
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

that all depends if you like the edge on it or not... 30deg inclusive, polished, 40deg double grind on the edge itself... does shave(patches on my arm and leg to prove it), does slice paper, does cut 1/8" poly rope...
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

vampyrewolf wrote:that all depends if you like the edge on it or not... 30deg inclusive, polished, 40deg double grind on the edge itself... does shave(patches on my arm and leg to prove it), does slice paper, does cut 1/8" poly rope...
If it is all that :eek: , and does all that :eek: , I will LOVE the edge :) . By the sounds of it, I'm going to have to be very careful with that sucker :D .
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

almost nicked myself after I stropped it... was cleaning the compound off and it went through the papertowel... and that was before I worked on killing the burr

I'm not responsible for stitches... superglue works. :p
i.v

Post by i.v »

somehow, supergluing one self doesn't seem like a very good idea to me :confused:
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

IV: dermabond is only sterile superglue... cyanide removed...

but the amount of cyanide in a tube of superglue, you could squeeze it right into your veins and survive(though that would create on **** of a blockage :eek: :rolleyes: )... just hold the wound together and create a seal with the glue... safe.

duct tape also works to keep the wound closed.
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Gotta love that VG-10! :)

I just picked up :spyder: 's 204UF Ultrafine stones for the 204MF Sharpmaker.
These really take VG-10 to a new level of SCARINESS! :D