Excuse me while I pat myself on the back...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

Mens sana in corpore sano- as the old Romans said.
I hope you feel good for plenty of years.
Take care! Peter
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Congrats, Paul!

You motivate me to stop smoking. I'd told myself that my last pouch of rolling tobacco would be my last, but I bought another one in a moment of weakness, one of those slow, groggy afternoons.

If walking starts to bore you, maybe you'll reconsider the bike...it's a wonderful way to see the countryside on rural roads.
ront

Post by ront »

Paul, way to go on 5 years now. That is just awesome man!!

Ron
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Congratulations, Paul, on such an outstanding achievement!
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

Happy Anniversary, Paul! Quitting smoking was the best gift that you could have given yourself (and all your friends and family who care about you)!

Congratulations once again!
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Good job Paul. I know from experience how difficult it can be. I quit 17 years ago, and still occasionally wish I had one.

I've had it kill a few friends and family members so I'm always pleased when I see someone I know quit.

I put on some weight after I quit, but it came back off some time later. I was eating a lot more when I quit I guess. Everything normaled out again after that.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Paul, this is impressive. Congratulations and go get a cigar to celebrate... ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

Congrats, Deacon!

I finally stopped several years ago and have no intention of ever starting again ! nowadays the nicotine patches seem to make stopping easier. however, when I stopped in 1991, I didn't use any patches and I truly found it awful! I still regret I can't smoke a good cigar now and then, but then the addiction would start again.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

one day at a time
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

The Deacon wrote:Thanks folks.

Weight loss has been probably 90% dieting and 10% exercise. Was almost 100% diet in the beginning, got winded too quickly for any serious exercise to be possible. Basically switched from living on a high fat diet consisting mainly of flour, potatoes, meat, and cheese to an extremely low fat one with virtually no flour, and far less ot the other three items. Can't remember the last time I ate anything fried.

Thought about a bike. Did buy a stationary recumbent that I use when it's too cold to be walking much. Several things kept me from buying a regular one. Probably the biggest one being the number of cyclists killed or badly injured around here every year. Not just kids either, fair number of them have been experienced adult riders trying to "live green". There are some bike trails around here, so I could get around that concern by investing in a carrier, transporting the bike to them, and avoiding the road. But that's one more expense, one more thing that requires time and preparation, and I was not crazy about the idea of mounting a bike rack on my PT convertible. If that were not enough, it's quite hilly where I live, and then of course theres four to five months of cold, snow and ice, and the question of where to keep it when not in use. One downside of my apartment - no garage. Came to the conclusion that walking was both safer and cheaper.

As for the Kiwi addiction, just packed up a couple pieces of stone Jano sent me from Slovakia, and a couple pieces of lingum vitae STR was kind enough to give me, and will be sending them off to SFSW presently. :D
Get a hitch installed and get a hitch rack. No high lifting. Easy to remove, install. You cannot wreck your bike driving into your garage like I did ONCE.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
aebfroman

Post by aebfroman »

Quitters never win.

; )
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I've thought about a bike quite a bit. My Patriot would be a lot easier to mount a carrier on than the PT Convertible was. But the negatives still heavily outweigh the positives for me.

Put simply, I just can't see what advantage riding a bicycle offers me over walking, unless I was using it as transportation. Any weather I'd consider riding in, I can walk in. In fact, I tend to think you'd get colder on a bike than on foot, just due to the wind chill factor.

It would mean one more fairly large bit of clutter in my small apartment. Especially during the four or five months it's too cold to ride. I'm on the ground floor, so it wouldn't be too hard getting it in and out, but it's still more of a nuisance than just walking out the door.

Cost is another negative. Hiking boots and a decent trekking pole for the trails, plus a pair of comfortable shoes for paved paths cost me less than $250 total. From everything I've read, a halfway decent bicycle, plus a hitch receiver and bike carrier, will cost me at least $1000, perhaps more. He may be the bike world's equivalent of the snobs who claim all FRN knives are junk, but the one bike person I've spoken to locally claims spending "only" $650 for a bike is just throwing money away. Best price I can get on the receiver and carrier was $350, installed. Then, on top of whatever the bike costs, there are also the "incidentals". A helmet, at the very least. Lock, if for nothing else to lock the bike to the carrier. Tools perhaps, but I probably have most, if not all that I'd need. Air pump probably, seems the bikes today no longer come with one.

Then there's logistics. Any park I can transport a bike to in order to ride, I can hike in. In fact, there are more trails open to hikers than to bikes and none where bikes are allowed but pedestrians are not. I can also just walk to one of the two grocery stores I normally shop in. It's a 2 mile round trip to the nearest one and just under 4 miles round trip to the other. Sidewalks almost all the way, so walking is safe. Riding a bike on the roads around here is not something I'd even consider doing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

I can see that you've thought about the bike quite a bit. Kudos to you for that. Bicycles can be a consuming hobby unto themselves (they are for me!), and I totally understand why many don't get into it.

I guess I get a lot of pleasure out of the mechanical side of bikes (building and fixing bikes, both my own and my friends') as well as riding them. The transportation factor is big in my lifestyle (I don't own a car). Besides that, the main advantage to me of riding a bike over walking (don't get me wrong, I love walking and hiking too!) is the sheer quantity of nice scenery you can absorb in a given amount of time - be it a 15-mile roll after work to downtown and back or a long, 100-mile Saturday down quiet paths and near-deserted highways to the next state. It's true, though, that biking gets tough below about 15 or 20 degrees, and road salt is murder on the components.

I've spent several times on bikes what I have on knives, perhaps a grand on tools and 3.5 grand on my "good" bike, a steel light tourer I built myself. I spent my 2008 economic stimulus check entirely on the (American-made) hubs and bottom bracket bearings for it. It makes me happy, but it would be ridiculous to expect that it would make everyone happy. (Though feel free to PM me if you ever want to know more about bikes!)

Regarding cost, $1000 can get you a very decent bike and $650 is in no way a waste if you know what to look for. My "car" that gets me everywhere is a '74 Raleigh three-speed that I bought used for $100 and have refurbished for maybe $350 in parts.

Ultimately, the point is that you're active. Exactly how that looks is different for every person, but in all cases it's something to be proud of. :)
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Overall, walking is best for you. I do believe walking is considered better than running. And, both provide a better workout for you than riding a bike.

For me, a bike came in handy during college and graduate school when I needed to get from one class on one side of the campus to another class on the other side of the campus in a relatively short period of time. Driving on campus was out of the question due to limited parking and the need for permits, and walking, although better for you, was timely when you couldn't get classes with longer "layover" periods between them. What I did do, though, was often hitch my bike to a bike rack in close proximity to several classes for the day and walk to them, saving the bike to cover longer distances and dragging those text books home.
firebert

Post by firebert »

way to go! I just did the same :)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Congrats Paul! 5 years is a real milestone!

As to the weight/exercise thing. Walking is great. If you are really dedicated it really is about all you should need.

We recently bought a Bowflex. Was thinking that muscle loss is responsible for many senior injuries. Read a stat that said the average 70 yo can not lift 10 pounds over their head!

It's not gonna get us into the Olympia contest or anything but it's pretty compact and does a lot! Let me know if it's of any interest and if you have any questions.

The wife and I are both using it 4-5 days a week now.

Ken
玉鋼
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Ken,

Another benefit of maintaining muscle mass as you age is it helps with weight control. Simply put, the more "engine" you have to feed fuel to, the less escess food energy gets stored as fat. From what I've read, our rate of metabolism remains constant throughout life, as we age we lose muscle mass.
WTC #1455
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jimbo@stn24 wrote:Ken,

Another benefit of maintaining muscle mass as you age is it helps with weight control...
Exactly what got me into it!

About 6 mo ago I was 335# w/ 54" waist (I'm 6'6" BTW)

Now I'm 285# w/ 44" waist.

Don't do much cardio (except using the reel mower for 3 hours to cut the @#$% grass every 4-5 days :rolleyes :) . Try to do a lower body every 3-4 days and an upper body workout every 3-4 days.

And rebalanced the diet to 40% carb, 30% protein, 30% (mostly healthful) fat @285gr protein/day. At least that's the goal ;)

Seems to be working

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Ken
玉鋼
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Deacon -I've been coming here for two years and had no idea this thread existed. Congrats... smoking is one nasty and expensive habit, glad you kicked it. :)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Paul - Congratulations on your fifth smokeless year. Great willpower and stamina! I quit for the second time in my life the day after my retirement July 2006. No problems what so ever. Smoke stinks and I don't want to be near smokers, that's all.
Good for you and keep your healthy life style a float! b.t.w. you look great in Hawai shirts.... :)
Cheers,
Jurphaas. ;)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *