Calypso Jr. is a bad bad knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Moon

Post by Moon »

spyken

Post by spyken »

JDEE wrote:G'day Mate - Cut loose buy another Calypso Jr while they are still around that way you can have the best of 2 worlds - 1 in the pocket and 1 in the "safe".
I do want to, but don't know which dealers have the centered blades. NGK says their stock all have off-centered blades. And knivesplus won't ship out of the US.

Anyone care to help me out? I'm definitely in the market for my 2nd calypso jr.
spyken
jjmc2001

Post by jjmc2001 »

OK-You guys have made me a believer. I have had one of these gray Jr.s in the safe for a long time and have never used it but now I think I better give it a try as an EDC. That means I think I need another. I see that there are still some on ebay. Can anybody give me any insight as to anywhere else to get another and or any variations that are better than others. I think the one I have is VG-10 but I need to check that. Was the JR made in any other steels?
Thanks
Gibsoniam

"Centered" Blades?

Post by Gibsoniam »

Okay, my interest is peaked. I know on my Calypso Jr. the blades are not perfectly centered when closed, is that what is being referred to with the phrase "centered"? Is there some inherit advantage of being perfectly centered, and if so, does anyone know which [online] dealers are selling centered Calypso Jr.s? Thanks!

Michael
klattman

Post by klattman »

Darth Miklos wrote:Okay, my interest is peaked. I know on my Calypso Jr. the blades are not perfectly centered when closed, is that what is being referred to with the phrase "centered"? Is there some inherit advantage of being perfectly centered, and if so, does anyone know which [online] dealers are selling centered Calypso Jr.s? Thanks!

Michael
While it's true that my Caly is a bit off center, it is not significant and does not affect the funtion at all. I got mine from NGK. Its a user knife, not a collectors item. (Besides the guys on this forum anyways) :p