My birthday present: C94 "UK Penknife."

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Congratulations on your new fine knife. I was also hoping for a lockable version...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

"Wild animals are beautiful because they have hard lives."
- Paul Graham
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

Carlos,
Are you still carrying yours? I know that you have seen many of the models go through your hands. Just curious if it's making the cut <pun intended>.
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

It is my "one and only" EDC. :cool:
- Paul Graham
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

:cool: cool. can't wait to try out mine.
Thanks
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
Wightknight

Post by Wightknight »

dialex wrote:Congratulations on your new fine knife. I was also hoping for a lockable version...
Dialex,

The unique selling point for this knife is the fact that it doesn't have a lock. The slipjoint is so good, you don't miss it either. There is also a half-stop point when the blade is at 90 degrees and this is invaluable for making sure you don't get bitten.

I would like to see Spyderco go the other way. I would like to see some of the other sub-3 inch knives produced as slipjoints, then we would have more street-legal knives in the UK. A slipjoint Kiwi in jigged bone would be superb.

Paul ;) :spyder:
redline

Post by redline »

Yeah,
We need more small slipjoints!
There are loads of big knives and loads of lock knives available from Spyderco & from other manufacturers (if that's what you need, great, go for it), but the UK Penknife is the only quality modern slipjoint available (the Pride is OK, but the UK Penknife is in a different class).
I've just got my UK Penknife, and it is superb, but the only problem is in the UK it will still be seen by many as a "big scary knife", so even though it is 100% legal, there will still be occasions when I would be happier with a smaller one.
It seems that a SAK is the only knife that doesn't scare the British public!
PLEASE make more small slipjoints, eihter adapt existing models, like the Kiwi, or the cricket, or make a smaller UK Penknife.
I'm sure small slipjoints are the way ahead.
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

The "scary" factor could probably be reduced with handle scales of a different color. Blue G10 like the Dodo. Or maybe a coloured Micarta.
- Paul Graham
sal

Post by sal »

We're on the same wave length. I was thinking of a bolstered version, 2.5" blade, red bone scales, same clip.

Now that the engineering is working, we can vary. black G-10 was the easiest material to test with in the Golden factory.

sal
redline

Post by redline »

Sal,
Yes please!
I would personally prefer Carlos' suggestion of a different colour G10 or Micarta, I'm not a great fan of the bolster/bone scales look, but a slightly smaller blade would definitely be good.
It would be a shame to waste your superb new slipjoint engineering on just one model!
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Sal,

Can you get Evrina for use in Golden-made clipits? A micro run in Evrina (w/bolsters) would be sweet. I guess if the sales are there, you could treat the Penknife like the Kopa, doing very small runs of different scale materials.
- Paul Graham
sal

Post by sal »

HI Carlos. The company that made Evrina stopped, too costly. We have enough to make one 600 pc run of Kopa's. Then it's gone.

sal
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

Oh, that's too bad. :(

In any case, the G10 Penknife is pretty much the perfect EDC. Even though I would hold onto them, prettier bolstered variants wouldn't replace it for that purpose with me. I think only a CF version would
- Paul Graham