Martha Stewart Stirs Up Tasty Prison Treats ???

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Stevie Ray

Martha Stewart Stirs Up Tasty Prison Treats ???

Post by Stevie Ray »

Just when we thought she was safely put away ... Can you believe this .. ARGGGGGGHHHHHHHH :cool:
==============================================
Martha stirs up tasty prison treats

Newspaper report says the incarcerated domestic diva picked crab apples to cook up 'illegal' jelly.
October 20, 2004: 11:44 AM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Imprisoned domestic diva Martha Stewart may again be caught in a "jam," according to a report published Wednesday.

The New York Post, citing an unnamed inmate at the Alderson, W.Va., minimum-security prison camp for women, reported that the guru of good living spent some time last week picking crab apples from trees on the camp grounds and used them to cook up sweet jelly.
Steve
pyrolyzer

Post by pyrolyzer »

Imprisoning her is a waste of taxpayer dollars. She's a talented person and we should take advantage of her talents and energies WHILE we make her pay for her crimes.

If I were king (scary thought), I would have her sentence commuted to 4000 hours of community service where she must use her skills to teach homeless and battered women to work in the hotel and restaurant industries.

We're probably paying $40-50K to keep her unproductive while she's incarcerated and she's taking up valuable cell space that we could use for DANGEROUS criminals. UGH!
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

Not true, pyrolyzer!

We're making good use of Martha and she's proven to be focused like a laser on her rehab! Why she's already made the prison's all star dream bakery team!The Betty Crocker sponsorship paid for the cost of the whole teams upkeep and travel expenses alone. :D
Attachments
prison bakery1.jpg
prison bakery1.jpg (43.1 KiB) Viewed 3869 times
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I do believe the punishment should fit the crime and she was proven guilty, but she is SMALL fish where insider trading is concerned. They're just making an example out of her.

HOWEVER ...., :eek: ... If this kind of sewing bee, jam making, apple pie baking behavior continues, she should likely be transferred to Angola (Louisiana) or San Quenten (sp ?) to serve the remainder of her sentence. :D
Steve
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

ROFLMAO! Java, man, that picture ROCKS! A real knee-slapper, that one!

What do I think? I don't think she should have been incarcerated. They should have fined her out the ying-yang and made her do community service, like Pyrolyzer suggested.

Due to vast overcrowding in our prison system, I think our jail space should be reserved for violent criminals. Just my .02, though...
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice pic Java. I think the prisoners do have the opportunity to find a piece of nose in their bread ;)
OTOH, who is Martha Stewart and what's her crime?
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dyad

Post by dyad »

java wrote:Not true, pyrolyzer!

We're making good use of Martha and she's proven to be focused like a laser on her rehab! Why she's already made the prison's all star dream bakery team!The Betty Crocker sponsorship paid for the cost of the whole teams upkeep and travel expenses alone. :D
JAVA you are priceless LOL :D
Dyad
dyad

Post by dyad »

Stevie Ray wrote:I do believe the punishment should fit the crime and she was proven guilty, but she is SMALL fish where insider trading is concerned. They're just making an example out of her.

HOWEVER ...., :eek: ... If this kind of sewing bee, jam making, apple pie baking behavior continues, she should likely be transferred to Angola (Louisiana) or San Quenten (sp ?) to serve the remainder of her sentence. :D
Hang in there Stevie, she has some time to go and sooner or later she will get under the skin of one of the other inmates ]"small personal matter"[/QUOTE]
Dyad
AllenETreat

Post by AllenETreat »

[quote="dialex"]Nice pic Java. I think the prisoners do have the opportunity to find a piece of nose in their bread ]

Alex -

Martha has her own show on the idiot box here & run's clothing, book's
and just about everything suited to the modern American woman ( not
to be confused with the Guess Who's song ) except insider
trading of stock commodities ( a crime in the U.S. ) the most she got
sentenced for, OTOH, was for lying to to investigators.

She "got off light" - just look at what Lay & Skilling of Enron are looking
at - 75yrs each! They may never get that much, but it just goe's to show
ya' : they should've started their own television show's & promoted the
**** outta themselves - meebee they'd get the
same 5 month sentence Martha got ;)

Want a laugh? Take a look at Enron's website :

http://www.Enron.com

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
dialex

Post by dialex »

Thanks for the infos. There's an... interesting world we're living in...
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I did not follow the case closely but if she was not seeking inside info then she should not be punished.
If someone contacted me and said you better sell fast or loose a bunch I would sell as would most people.The person that sould be punished is the person who gave her the info.
And BTW I really don't like the woman either.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
AllenETreat

Post by AllenETreat »

J Smith wrote:I did not follow the case closely but if she was not seeking inside info then she should not be punished.
If someone contacted me and said you better sell fast or loose a bunch I would sell as would most people.The person that sould be punished is the person who gave her the info.
And BTW I really don't like the woman either.

Jeff ;

I believe that was the conclusion the FBI & Securities Exchange Commission
( SEC ) came to - if it was heavy duty insider trading they ( the prosecution )
would've socked it to ol' Martha - in the end, I just think they didn't like being
lied to. And that's what her 5 month sentence is all about ( perjury ).

Are you gellin'?

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
JD Spydo

Prison Industrial Complex

Post by JD Spydo »

pyrolyzer wrote:Imprisoning her is a waste of taxpayer dollars. She's a talented person and we should take advantage of her talents and energies WHILE we make her pay for her crimes.

If I were king (scary thought), I would have her sentence commuted to 4000 hours of community service where she must use her skills to teach homeless and battered women to work in the hotel and restaurant industries.

We're probably paying $40-50K to keep her unproductive while she's incarcerated and she's taking up valuable cell space that we could use for DANGEROUS criminals. UGH!
Thank you "Pyrolyzer". A really big 10-4 on that one. This country is locking up hundreds if not thousands of non violent people who have merely no more than personal, functional problems. I agree with you 1000% about putting Ms. Stewart to work making a positive difference in someones life ( which might even keep them out of jail). I would be willing to bet that 75 to 80% of all the people this country lock up are either political prisoners or non violent screw-ups. I do not at all feel threatened by Martha Stewart. I feel much more threatened by the people who prosecuted her and locked her up. :confused: :confused:
AllenETreat

White collar criminals are bad guys too

Post by AllenETreat »

JD -

Prison is usually for offense(s) that'd normally have long sentences
( violent or not ) attached to'em - Martha's I believe was orginally
10yrs, which was probably reduced to 5 - so her sentence is like
5yrs probation of 5 she'd normally serve - they locked her up in a
Danbury-countryclub-like prison to more or less make an example
of her. By your logic people like Lay & Skilling of Enron note shouldn't
do time either - just teach business management ( yeah, right! )

Let's face it, crime ( violent or not ) is crime - if all non-violent offenders
could get off with a slap on the wrist they'd keep commiting crime(s) - and
as it is they do anyway.

There's alot of freaks out there that love prison ( they become
"institutionalized" and keep going back ) - but for people like Martha &
other white collar criminals it's better to "scare'em straight" than let'em
think if they got caught breaking the law all they could expect is "community
service".

Violent offenders only make up about 10% of the average prison population,
so we'd have only around 200,000 inmates instead of the 2.1 million we currently have -
a nice thought, but un-realistic if we are to control crime ( violent or otherwise )

That's why Dostoveysky called it "crime and punishment".

AET

T.E. Lawrence
JD Spydo

Mis under stood

Post by JD Spydo »

Allen you do indeed make some good points about comparing the Enron monsters to what I said. I also agree with you that people do have to " pay the Piper" so to speak when they transgress the laws of our society. But when they let a President of our country lie to a Grand Jury and sell military secrets to our biggest enemy and he gets to retire and live like King Tut. It just seems like something is very out-of balance here.
I guess the point that I was really trying to make is that the justice system as whole is horribly broken and for the most part makes no sense at all. Martha Stewart is literally a minnow in a tank of Tiger sharks when you sum up all of the depravity that went down on Wall Street. Yes I do indeed think that there should be punishment. In her case maybe even a severe fine coupled with community service would have even made more sense. I know you are a good a well meaning person wanting what is best for this country but I will still stand by my guns as far as wanting not to lock up Ms. Stewart. You want to know something. I don't even like her. I think she is arrogant and snotty to put it in acceptable terms. You can have deterrents without wasting all these tax dollars. I really enjoy the Forum and love comparing notes. GOD bless you all JD Spydo :confused: :spyder:
cdf

Post by cdf »

Marta's sentence is a crock . She should heavy fine ant 6 months as un-paid orderly at Bellvue hospital or some old folks home . I look forword to her shows on food prep with a shank ! Jim is 100% correct , this is a classic waste of scarce resources . Put th man on the bench , at the very least he is an expert on criminals and punnishment !