Chinook II or Manix

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Russell92

Chinook II or Manix

Post by Russell92 »

I've wanting a Chinook II for a while and now finally got a glimpse at the Manix and really want it too. :D

I can't afford both so I'm going to have to decide which to get. It's quite agitating that there's no decent knife shop anywhere near me to go to and handle any knives before purchasing them. Whichever one I get will probably become my main SD folder. I understand that the Chinook II was designed specifically for MBC and therefore should probably be my choice. However, it seems like the more unique blade shape of the Chinook II would require much more training with this specific knife to learn to use it to its full potential. Also, having never handled the Chinook II, I can't tell if the blade shape is ideal for stabbing or was designed specifically for slashing.

Any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance for all help!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

From just looking at the picture, it looks like the Manix is really Sal's vision of a large folding Temperance. It really looks a lot like the FB temp, so I wouldn't count out the MBC capabilities of the Manix. As far as special training for the Chinook is concerned, it depends. In my experience, any martial arts training can be translated to the Chinook II, the Chinook is versatile enough te fit in a variety of MBC styles. Sure it is a bowie designed by Keating, so his tapes and instruction would give you more tricks mated to this design. I wouldn't be discouraged in buying the Chinook because the piece is too style-specific. The Manix is a little easier on the eye for the non-knife persons among us though.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Russell92

Post by Russell92 »

Are there any instructional tapes designed specifically for the Chinook II? I'm sure there are ones made for all bowies but since I don't have any larger ones these tapes aren't exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm mainly concerned about the Chinook II's stabbing ability. If those of you who have them feel they are equally well equipped for stabbing as a more traditionally shaped blade then I'll get the Chinook II but if not maybe I'll wait for the Manix.