Price difference USA Europe

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
loki88

Price difference USA Europe

Post by loki88 »

I have a question about the enormous price difference between a Yojimbo available in Europe with a SRP of 185 Euro (223$) and a Yojimbo available thru the internet from the states with a pricetag of 90 Euro(109$)? I received the SRP thru the official dealer of Spyderco in Belgium. How can a knife be almost double the price in Europe? Is it Spyderco policy to give the USA based firms a boost or is it just because of particular circumstances? I don't care ordering my Spyderco's thru the web, but feel baffled by the difference.

Any input from the great Spyder?

By the way i LOVE spyderco's, just ordered a Yojimbo as a companion for my Ronin!
haji

Post by haji »

my theory: Spyderco is all distributed from Golden CO. That's the only real way to keep solid control of the product line, and have it going to authorized dealers. Knives are heavy. Having low bulk value, they cost quite a bit to ship. If knives or parts have to be shipped into CO. to have them shipped out of CO, that might account for it. There are also the differences in the value of the monetary unit in question to consider. If the dollar is strong against the Euro, for ezzample, the product bought with the Euro will cost more, and will have a higher price in dollars cuz of it.

Edited by - haji on 8/25/2004 6:57:34 PM
Carlos

Post by Carlos »

1. tariffs / duties

2. the cost of shipping the product overseas from US to Europe
Ted

Post by Ted »

3) Margin. Europe sells for MSRP. US sells for a 10-20% margin on dealer price.

Edit: should have added 'Internet shops...'

Edited by - Ted on 8/27/2004 2:14:13 AM
haji

Post by haji »

Nah, its way more about taxes and tarrifs than it is discounting. My shop sells for MSRP on all of them that we stock...and we sell out of 'em all, too, btw.
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Supply and demand brother, as well as what the local market will stand.

A Brit newspaper some time ago did a comparison with Ikea. The only chain of stores throughout Europe, selling the same merchandise. The disparity of prices, for the same goods, throughout Europe was staggering!

But thank the lord for internet trading. Some fantastic deals are to be had internationally!

Regards,

Simon.
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

Australia is no different to Europe and it not only applies to Spydercos so I don't believe it is any policy on their behalf. From my experience the mark-up on knives is much higher in Australia plus the wholesalers seem to charge a lot extra for freight etc. Plus their is an import duty and other taxes to contend with. It's a shame because they are now losing business to the internet which in my view will only increase prices. A lack of no local competition is also a factor.

Jdee
loki88

Post by loki88 »

Indeed, but the strange thing is that , even if i order a knife thru the internet, and with shipping the single knife and with import taxes and VAT it still is a LOT cheaper then in the knifeshop. There also seems to be a different pricetag on different knives that have the same SRP in the catalog but seem to differ great in real "shop" price. Strange very strange.
Pyrochazm

Post by Pyrochazm »

You also see a serious price disparity between the net' prices and the shop prices over here. Also the diffrence in shop to shop prices. The endura is a good example. The typical ebay asking price is about $40-$50. But you go to the shopping mall and the mayjor knife retail shop there charges about $70. Head back down the street to virturally any gunshop that has knives and it's back down to $50
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

The difference is no Spyderco policy. Differences originate from import export duties, higher VAT taxrates, protective fees and don't forget that there is a "Steel War" going on between EUC and USA. in a progressive manner all imported steel and a listing of other goods imported from the States are exra taxed by the EUC. In 12 months these taxes will run op to 17% extra on top of all other taxes and fees.
Internet trade also worsens the situation as most of these companies cannot buy directly from Spyderco and have to use gray markets. They also sattisfy them selves with very low profit margins. Store front holders have a real hard time keeping up the margins they need to stay in business. Please support your local Spyderco dealer!

Clipits work!
loki88

Post by loki88 »

I would love to support my local dealer, because i could have a better customer service, and i could inspect the knife "in situ" first. But paying double for a knife just to support the local dealer is IMHO not possible by me. I could buy a second Spyderco just by the profit i make by bying online. So as much if i would like to buy it local, it is easier and faster thru the internet. I do buy from Gatherwood sometimes because it is an European shop, but the European prices sometimes warrants the online purchase.

Groetjes
sharp

Post by sharp »

i have the same problem with the msrp in sweden,and now the msrp prices has gone up! what to do???? i paid 200$ for a paramili at my dealer.keep it sharp
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Hi loki

Dont worry, South Africa is the same, you find a Civilian online for $99, you buy it in South Africa for over 2000 rand (6.5 rand = 1 $) so its roughly $330, need we say more?

Luckily Im moving over *Beeg grin*

Cheers

MaNcEr

It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
loki88

Post by loki88 »

Wow talking about deflation, in the pre Mandela era the rand was about 0,25 Euro's but it seems to been dropped about 35% in value!? Strange any explanation?