wish me luck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dhpd9807

wish me luck

Post by dhpd9807 »

going out to the garage to yojimbo-ize my PE rescue. First time trying something like this. Here goes

Jeff
travis quaas

Post by travis quaas »

Good luck my good man!

TQ
ronin203

Post by ronin203 »

Good luck. Keep us posted, I'm thinking of trying that myself.
dhpd9807

Post by dhpd9807 »

Well, I think I did a fine job for my first undertaking. I don't think I'll win an award but it looks just fine. I have a few more rescues on the way. By the way, how do I know if I wrecked the temper?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

If you affected the temper, you will see a discoloration of the metal in the area that you heated during grinding. The darker the color, the worse the problem.

To avoid this, you should constantly dip the blade into water to cool it during the reprofiling process. There are also commercial pastes that you can buy that prevent the migration of heat, but water and patience are cheaper.

Good luck!

Stay safe,

mike j
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

Good luck, and don't forget the eye protection!

Dann Fassnacht Aberdeen, WA glockman99@hotmail.com ICQ: 53675663
Qship

Post by Qship »

Before I found out about heat control pastes, I tied a wet paper towel around the blade next to where I was working. When you dip the blade in water, the paper towel picks up more water, so it stays wet. Grind a little and dip the blade in water a lot. The theory is that water boils at 212, and if the steel gets hotter, the water in the towel carries some of the heat off as steam. In practice, if you go too fast, you get a dry, scorched paper towel, super heated steam, and a ruined blade. There may be some pitfalls here, and this is just a statement of what I did, not advice.

I heavily tape the sharp and pointy parts of a knife, in case the grinding wheel catches the blade and tosses it in my direction. I wear eye protection, gloves and use machine shields. I am especially cautious about having a proper ground when I use water around electricity. A ground fault interrupter is better.

Another way to roughly check temper is to try the final cleanup with a file. If the file works well, the steel is probably soft.

Qship
capslock

Post by capslock »

Good luck.