Knife trends you just don't understand?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
aicolainen

Re: Knife trends you just don't understand?

Post by aicolainen »

There’s a lot of trends I don’t care for, but I understand most of them.
For the most part I don’t even care for the knife models and reviewers that initially got me sucked into the in folding knife rabbit hole. Preferences and tastes develops along the way.
Overbuilt knives, flippers, fancifully colored and exotic materials e.g. cf, timascus, zirconium etc, does nothing for me, but it’s my impression that the knife industry has never been bigger, and that these features play a big role in that. Whatever gets people in the door to further develop their knife hobby, increase market penetration and public acceptance for knives is mostly good in my opinion.

It’s easy to get hung up on the trends one doesn’t understand, but there seem to also be some positive trends. Among others, the overbuilt folding prybars seems to be on a retreat as the consumer base has presumably shifted their priorities toward cutting performance and carry comfort. I’m actually optimistic that most impractical fads will self correct with time.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 5:46 am
Whatever gets people in the door to further develop their knife hobby, increase market penetration and public acceptance for knives is mostly good in my opinion.

I’m actually optimistic that most impractical fads will self correct with time.
these are some good points. thanks for the wisdom.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
vivi

Post by vivi »

RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:39 am
The zombie hunter green fad that was popular awhile back.
There was a push to ban zombie knives specifically in the UK. Never could wrap my head around that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65303502
:unicorn
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

w3tnz wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:20 pm
I have a sudden unexplainable urge to use my decorative fob to withdraw my deep carry pocket clipped compression lock knife just to fiddle with it.
Hope you guys don't mind. 🤡🔪
Well that sounds trendy!
MRj “Weak things break!”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:57 pm
I love deep carry clips. Much more comfortable, and the knife gets caught on stuff less. I have several knives that don't get carried very often because I haven't bought a Lynch clip for them yet. I agree with the comments about flipper tabs, sharpening choils, and replacing OEM hardware with cheap, imported anodized hardware.

I think the biggest trend that I don't understand in the knife industry is how most knife consumers just aren't critical thinkers.

If some guy on YouTube says a thing, suddenly everyone is saying that thing. Spyderco probably has folks who've worked QA for them for 20 years, but if some guy on YouTube says that the blade centering on his knife was off, then Spyderco has failed miserably not only as a knife manufacturer but as an ethical business.

I think it's great that Larrin has made data-driven knife steel research more accessible. I also think it's great that Spyderco took so much time perfecting their heat treat for Magnacut. However, it now seems that in addition to critiquing a knife company's choice of knife steel, knife consumers are now also critiquing the company's heat treat of said steel. That's fine, but what on earth does the average knife consumer know about heat treating steel? Like honestly, does the data sheet on Crucible's website actually mean anything to you?

Now whenever some yahoo manages to chip his high-vanadium steel on a staple or concrete, he bashes "[Knife Company]'s heat treat," instead of just bashing S30V like he used to. Meanwhile, if he happens to not hit a staple or concrete in the first 2 weeks with a new knife, he's praising [Knife Company]'s heat treat. Subsequently, hundreds of YouTube personalities suddenly start lauding or denouncing [Knife Company]'s heat teat, and thousands of consumers repeat that nonsense on forums. You're buying on faith anyway, stop putting on airs.

I don't get folks who nitpick every last detail on a $200 knife. Sure, I appreciate the finer details of most pocket knives, but I also understand that $200 doesn't go nearly as far as it did 20 years ago. I really don't get people who think that the pinnacle of knife design is "M390 Ti Flipper," and think the best knife company out there is the one who gets them that combo at the cheapest price. I'd much prefer to spend $200 on an American-made workhorse like the PM2 than another M390 Ti Flipper from one of the Chinese companies.

Ok, I finished my :beer-mug , and the rant is over: have a great night, folks.
All else, well, OK, but this. So much this!
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well, a trend I personally would have a bit of a hard time understanding would be if knife users would attach a lot of importance to a just tiny deviation concerning the angle of a certain part of a folder in relation to another part of the folder.

Let´s say a deviation that could only be seen when the knife is closed (and thus would not even be perceivable at all when the knife is opened and actually in "functional" mode) and only when looking at that closed folder from a very specific angle, and that has no practical or functional relevance at all...

But if such a trend would actually exist, I would not dare to discuss it anyway... (anymore...)... :winking-tongue ;) :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:05 pm
anyway, i find typical fidget toys to be highly unsatisfying. i like the feeling of something nicely machined. i don't think there's anything wrong with fidgeting with a knife as long as you're not making other people uncomfortable and willing to accept the risk of cutting yourself.
I'm sitting here 'fidgeting' and trying to figure out how I could accidentally cut myself. Maybe I'm doing it wrong - thumb on left side of handle, index finger on lock, other fingers on right side of the handle. None of their positions change. I'm far more likely (but still very unlikjely) to cut myself with a backlock, even doing everything correctly. The exception is the Subvert, which flicks fantastic but is a little scary, and I don't want to wear anything out...if that's possible.

But I'm with you - I also prefer the feel of a very nicely machined knife, which I think the flickable knives are;e.g-PM2, Caribbean, Millie 2. I'm sure many such knives made by other companies, appealing mostly to flickers, are less solid.

I plan to slowly relieve myself of any knives that have no real utility - even the very cool ones like the Magnitude - but I don't see any problem with all the weird things that appeal to people who don't cut much with them. One of my other weaknesses is hats - I have many hats that I love to pull out and admire, but rarely get worn in public.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

What knives don't I understand? Micro serrations, gas station knives, junk steel, extra gadgets added on, lanyards (unless you're an astronaut or a rock climber).
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:29 pm
vivi wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:30 pm
Like I mentioned there's a variety of motivations for deep carry clips.

Either way I'm glad I live somewhere where open carry firearms and fixed blades don't get a second look, lol.

Understood. Some day I look forward to being your neighbor. I remember, as a kid, going to Wyoming and seeing guys shopping in stores with cocked and locked .45s on their hips, and I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. People were very polite, as I recollect. I'm O.T. so will end there.
Me as well - living around knowledgeable people carrying what they feel they need to and not having to think about it. I live about as far from that situation as is possible. That makes me think of another trend that makes me a little sad: people asking about short knives because it is illegal for them to carry something longer. I carry whatever I want, but wisely;e.g-'too long' Siren in my pocket when I'm going fishing, but not when I'm at the pool hall. If I got pulled over for speeding while carrying a 3+ blade, I'd put it under the seat and that would be that. Does that make me a bad person? :sad-but-relieved
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 9:48 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:05 pm
anyway, i find typical fidget toys to be highly unsatisfying. i like the feeling of something nicely machined. i don't think there's anything wrong with fidgeting with a knife as long as you're not making other people uncomfortable and willing to accept the risk of cutting yourself.
I'm sitting here 'fidgeting' and trying to figure out how I could accidentally cut myself. Maybe I'm doing it wrong - thumb on left side of handle, index finger on lock, other fingers on right side of the handle. None of their positions change. I'm far more likely (but still very unlikjely) to cut myself with a backlock, even doing everything correctly. The exception is the Subvert, which flicks fantastic but is a little scary, and I don't want to wear anything out...if that's possible.

But I'm with you - I also prefer the feel of a very nicely machined knife, which I think the flickable knives are;e.g-PM2, Caribbean, Millie 2. I'm sure many such knives made by other companies, appealing mostly to flickers, are less solid.

I plan to slowly relieve myself of any knives that have no real utility - even the very cool ones like the Magnitude - but I don't see any problem with all the weird things that appeal to people who don't cut much with them. One of my other weaknesses is hats - I have many hats that I love to pull out and admire, but rarely get worn in public.
i cut myself with a chicago because the detent stuck just a little when coding it and the blade went right into my thumb when i overcame the detent. it wasn't a terrible cut, but it bled for a good hour before i could get it to stop.

i've never cut myself with a folder except for liner and frame locks. oh... that's a lie... i cut myself with a sak knockoff once when i was 13, but it had nothing to do with opening, closing, or the lock. i was just being a dumb kid with a new knife and no supervision and had myself a little learning experience.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:29 am
i cut myself with a chicago because the detent stuck just a little when coding it and the blade went right into my thumb when i overcame the detent. it wasn't a terrible cut, but it bled for a good hour before i could get it to stop.

i've never cut myself with a folder except for liner and frame locks. oh... that's a lie... i cut myself with a sak knockoff once when i was 13, but it had nothing to do with opening, closing, or the lock. i was just being a dumb kid with a new knife and no supervision and had myself a little learning experience.
I can see how people could cut themselves with liner lock knives, but for me personally they are the safest. After pressing the lock, I barely disengage the blade, then move all my fingers out of the way before closing with my thumb - I do it quickly. My next purchase will probably be a liner-lock Salt...assuming they are out there (I have not looked for one).
buckleys

Post by buckleys »

Spicy Suplex wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:23 pm
I'll admit to fidgeting, though despite owning comp locks and 1 single flipper, I mostly enjoy idly opening and closing a slow backlock, and using the reverse-finger-claw method to close, or dropping the ricasso/choil and then switching to reverse claw close.

Here's an interesting one because I understand it and don't understand it at the same time:

Ultem.

I think it's really neat. To look at. I like the kitschy translucent stuff whether it be the blurple stuff or the Manix blue FRCP, or even as far as those really really awful fully CLEAR scales on etsy that are clearly (hah) unsafe. I like it. And I apologize. I'm cleanly admitting it's tacky, it's just a tack that I like. I think it was born from the multi-colored Gameboy offerings of the 90s for me.

Anyway, what I don't understand is why it's still around. Do some makers get it right and some get it wrong because I just see a lot of breakage. Am I just tricking myself into thinking I've seen a bunch of cracked Ultem across the knife community? Maybe "one is enough" for my cynical brain, so please correct me if I'm wrong here.
I bought the Knifejoker Mystic green Manix solely because it reminded me of the transparent Gameboy/Gameboy Advanced/N64s :smlling-eyes I'd buy another one if they made it in the translucent purple of the GBC, or the lightish blueish-purple of the GBA. The ultem scales look hideous to me though, like it's some cigarette smoke yellowed scales
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:35 am
ladybug93 wrote:

I can see how people could cut themselves with liner lock knives, but for me personally they are the safest. After pressing the lock, I barely disengage the blade, then move all my fingers out of the way before closing with my thumb - I do it quickly. My next purchase will probably be a liner-lock Salt...assuming they are out there (I have not looked for one).
yes. i have a lot of experience. i just wasn't paying attention because i was fidgeting and when i applied pressure to overcome the stuck detent, it closed quicker than i could move my thumb. i'm typically very careful because it's no fun to cut yourself, but the risk is always there, even when you're paying attention, and more so when you're fidgeting.

i might be mistaken, but the only salt i can think of with a frame lock (none with liner locks) is the spydiechef. it's a great knife.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:41 am
HolySteel wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:35 am
ladybug93 wrote:

yes. i have a lot of experience. i just wasn't paying attention because i was fidgeting and when i applied pressure to overcome the stuck detent, it closed quicker than i could move my thumb. i'm typically very careful because it's no fun to cut yourself, but the risk is always there, even when you're paying attention, and more so when you're fidgeting.

i might be mistaken, but the only salt i can think of with a frame lock (none with liner locks) is the spydiechef. it's a great knife.
Unfortunately, it looks like you are correct. The Spydiechef is on my 'eventual' list. For now the Native 5 Salt will be the ticket. Great little knife - I just need to work on my backlock issues :) Besides, Spyderco will eventually create a serrated Sage 1 Salt for me.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The Tusk was a frame lock Salt as well. No liner lock Salt comes to mind though.
- Nick :bug-red
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

vivi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:52 am
RugerNurse wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:39 am
The zombie hunter green fad that was popular awhile back.
There was a push to ban zombie knives specifically in the UK. Never could wrap my head around that.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65303502
A Zombie knife is now actually defined in U.K. legislation. Madness!

“the weapon sometimes known as a “zombie knife”, “zombie killer knife” or “zombie slayer knife”, being a blade with—

(i)a cutting edge;

(ii)a serrated edge; and

(iii)images or words (whether on the blade or handle) that suggest that it is to be used for the purpose of violence.”

I suppose it’s a relief they didn’t try to define a Zombie in law …
Spicy Suplex

Post by Spicy Suplex »

buckleys wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:38 am
I bought the Knifejoker Mystic green Manix solely because it reminded me of the transparent Gameboy/Gameboy Advanced/N64s :smlling-eyes I'd buy another one if they made it in the translucent purple of the GBC, or the lightish blueish-purple of the GBA. The ultem scales look hideous to me though, like it's some cigarette smoke yellowed scales

Atomic Purple and Glacier, I think they called them. Good stuff. Come to think of it, Nintendo must have been the first company to make me desire the exact same thing I already had, just in a different color variation. Those gameboy fats, GBCs, GBAs, and N64 controllers. Makes a whole lot of sense now :zany
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I don't get knives with bearings. It seems asinine to add more moving parts to what should be a simple tool.

Flippers. Really, any opening method that doesn't allow me to control the opening of the blade through its entire arc. Flippers and bearings belong on toys, not serious using knives. Speaking of controlling the blade..

"Drop shut action". When I got started in the hobby, a knife with a drop shut action meant you had a broken knife. Now I see people complain when a knife's blade doesn't fall shut on its own when the lock is released. I don't understand why people are suddenly against lock springs and detents doing their job.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

StuntZombie wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:50 pm
I don't get knives with bearings. It seems asinine to add more moving parts to what should be a simple tool.

Flippers. Really, any opening method that doesn't allow me to control the opening of the blade through its entire arc. Flippers and bearings belong on toys, not serious using knives. Speaking of controlling the blade..

"Drop shut action". When I got started in the hobby, a knife with a drop shut action meant you had a broken knife. Now I see people complain when a knife's blade doesn't fall shut on its own when the lock is released. I don't understand why people are suddenly against lock springs and detents doing their job.
Good points. Regarding flippers and bearings: once we moved beyond simple, well-built hunting knives like Case, Schrade, Western and Buck made (and which were all we needed), well-made slip-joint pocket knives in a few basic useful designs, and adequate carbon and stainless steels...well, the sky was the limit. Now everyone's demanding the next greatest thing and the manufacturers are trying to anticipate such desires. I bet Sal cringes every time he puts out a 'super knife' that no one really needs, but will still buy.

I admit to owning a few Spyderco flippers. They are beautiful and fun, but only ever cut paper. Someday when I'm completely bored with them, I'll let them go. The knives I carry and use are almost all FRN, simple and inexpensive.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I never got bearings in knives either. Washers are simpler, lower maintenance and work fine.
:unicorn