St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mr_Whiskerz

Re: St. Nick’s Exclusive red and black Goddard!

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:51 pm
I wonder what my options would be for dying this thing? Probably just black.

I suppose I should just go pickup one of the green ones from eBay.

Maybe a dark blue would make a midnight-y purple type color? Which, yeah, isn't that far from black.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Wow, that's a nice looking knife!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:26 am
vivi wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:45 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:42 am
DLC blade - pass... Too bad
Makes sense given the steel.
I agree , it will be perfect for me to carry with little worries . MG2
It's a personal preference thing to me. Black blades look like gas station knives in my opinion. I only own one - the Perrin PPT
I have no doubt they're great, just not for me :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
cjk

Post by cjk »

kennethsime wrote:

fwiw, the old ones were pinned. The picture of the new one has screws. if you were intending a blade swap, that might be problematic.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 7:36 am
kennethsime wrote:

fwiw, the old ones were pinned. The picture of the new one has screws. if you were intending a blade swap, that might be problematic.
I noticed the screws too . I hope this may be an indication of other exclusive models in the future . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cjk

Post by cjk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:41 am
cjk wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

I noticed the screws too . I hope this may be an indication of other exclusive models in the future . MG2
I think this release is a big surprise. It IS tempting, but I think I'm going to pass on it. Where's JD Spydo? A vintage Spyderco has been re-born, so it seems kinda up his alley. ;)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

cjk wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

That’s a great point, and one that I missed. Thanks!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:55 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
cjk wrote:
kennethsime wrote:

I think this release is a big surprise. It IS tempting, but I think I'm going to pass on it. Where's JD Spydo? A vintage Spyderco has been re-born, so it seems kinda up his alley. ;)
I’m very happy to see it come out , I gifted my gray to Granddaughter’s husband. I’m not telling her about this one ! 😂 I can’t say no to my girls .
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
cjk

Post by cjk »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:11 am
cjk wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:55 am
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
cjk wrote:

I’m very happy to see it come out , I gifted my gray to Granddaughter’s husband. I’m not telling her about this one ! 😂 I can’t say no to my girls .
You are allowed to order a couple. :thinking. Think of it as "gift plus one".
z1r

Post by z1r »

I'm probably going to have to pull the trigger. Not a huge coated blade fan, but hey, at this price, it is a real user knife. So it will be welcome protection and the layout of this really appeals to me. Due to blade length, it won't be an EDC for me, but will get used.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

z1r wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:48 am
I'm probably going to have to pull the trigger. Not a huge coated blade fan, but hey, at this price, it is a real user knife. So it will be welcome protection and the layout of this really appeals to me. Due to blade length, it won't be an EDC for me, but will get used.
I don't normally buy coated blades, but have a Rex 45 Native 5 that's coated. Showing off to my brother how great Spydercos are, and how nicely I had sharpened it, I stabbed a beer can with it. Now it has streaky areas where the coating came off. Blade is still smooth as can be and it's totally a user, so I guess I don't care.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:55 pm
z1r wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:48 am
I don't normally buy coated blades, but have a Rex 45 Native 5 that's coated. Showing off to my brother how great Spydercos are, and how nicely I had sharpened it, I stabbed a beer can with it. Now it has streaky areas where the coating came off. Blade is still smooth as can be and it's totally a user, so I guess I don't care.
If it's a Native 5, it will have a DLC coating on it. Try some bar keepers friend on it. I bet most it if not all of that will come off. DLC likes to hold on to metal from that which it destroys. But it does not like to get scratched up, no not one bit.

TiCN is a different story.
Last edited by JSumm on Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Frankie2blue

Post by Frankie2blue »

I would be surprised if coating came off from an aluminum can. More than likely it is the aluminum deposits on the coating which can come off. I have found the DLC very difficult to scratch.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:33 pm
If it's a Native 5, it will have a DLC coating on it. Try some bar keepers friend on it. I bet most it not all of that will come off. DLC likes to hold on to metal from that which it destroys. But it does not like to get scratched up, no not one bit.

TiCN is a different story.
I just want to say one thing: "I love you, man". (I rubbed a little BK Friend on with my finger, and the can residue came right off).
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

BKF is pretty powerful and you shouldn’t leave it on a surface for too long, best to use a surgical glove and not to mix it with other products.

https://youtu.be/HMFXH-UoOUg
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

HolySteel wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:38 pm
I just want to say one thing: "I love you, man". (I rubbed a little BK Friend on with my finger, and the can residue came right off).
Nice! Golden DLC is great stuff, and that is coming from a stainless fan. I have more scratches on my stainless blades than I do my DLC blades.

Now the TiCN I would imagine is not as durable, but I don't have any and can't speak from experience.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:01 pm
HolySteel wrote:
Nice! Golden DLC is great stuff, and that is coming from a stainless fan. I have more scratches on my stainless blades than I do my DLC blades.

Now the TiCN I would imagine is not as durable, but I don't have any and can't speak from experience.
Correct Jeff , TiCN will not hold up as well . I still like leaves good memories as LB would say . MG2
Henry David Thoreau
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

Dunno if I missed this, but what's Seki's history with 4V? I seem to recall St. Nick's Golden exclusives were known for hitting 64-65 HRC.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The St Nick's Knives Exclusive Goddard Lightweight CPM-4V Black TiCN Blade & Red FRN goes on sale on Friday, June 30, 2023 at 12:00pm Central Time for $125. Approximately 1200 Knives Available.

https://www.stnicksknives.com/products/ ... -c16fprdbk
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:19 pm
JSumm wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 4:01 pm
HolySteel wrote:

Correct Jeff , TiCN will not hold up as well . I still like leaves good memories as LB would say . MG2
I thought the same about TiCN. I have a couple blades with it and they've actually held up better than expected. They get the typical marks on them like DLC and I've cleaned them Flitz (like I do DLC) and they clean up just fine
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!