S90V PM2 Teal and DLC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: S90V PM2 Teal and DLC

Post by PStone »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:33 am
PStone wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:33 am

Thank you Zrows! I swapped some scales around last night. I think it fits in with my particular group better now.
The Elmax does look good with those scales. What does the S90V look like now?
I put the 2018 forum scales on.
I always thought these scales needed dlc and really like the way it looks. For now anyways. (-Things blade swappers say 😂)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That really does make that forum knife much more appealing! Nice choice for the swap, wasn't expecting that one.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PStone

Post by PStone »

The Tealmax got an MG002 clip treatment today. He was kind enough to share his method with me. Not bad for my first try! I like the colors against the teal.
Thanks MG!
:bug-red-white
PStone

Post by PStone »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:18 pm
That really does make that forum knife much more appealing! Nice choice for the swap, wasn't expecting that one.
Thanks Rick! I also put the satin s90v into peel ply CF for a bootleg version of one the hardest to find/most expensive PM2 sprints out there.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Look at you all customizing your stuff. Heck, now I'm going to need to replace the clip and make a lanyard fob at the minimum.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

PStone wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:20 pm
The Tealmax got an MG002 clip treatment today. He was kind enough to share his method with me. Not bad for my first try! I like the colors against the teal.
Thanks MG!
:bug-red-white
Looks Great! MG2 has been killing it with his clip customization.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
nosuchagency

Post by nosuchagency »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:56 pm
Nice swap! Titanium scales?
those are od ano scales by applied weapons tech.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well that's never happened to me before. I had a new black Lynch Clip all ready to go for this knife, but the OEM screw and the extra screw were too short :/

There's only a .003" difference in the thickness between the Spyderco and Lynch clips but it was enough. When I went to put the stock clip back on the screws actually seemed almost too short for the stock clip too.

I tried 4 times to get the Lynch clip on and I started to worry I was damaging the threads on the liner, so I stopped and put the Spydie clip back on. I think I messed up the first threads a little, I was relieved I got the stock clip back on. I asked Casey to send me some longer screws, but I'm thinking I'm just going to leave it alone. I don't want to have to send this to golden and end up with an uncoated replacement liner because I stripped the DLC one.

Added the lanyard at least with a Lynch blacksmith finish Frag Bead.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:37 pm

I just installed mine yesterday. Worked fine this time, but I've had the same issue in the past. This set came with T5 screws?? Tiny slots.

Different model, but the new blacksmith finish looks really good. I'm hoping it holds up better too to wear.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:26 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:

I just installed mine yesterday. Worked fine this time, but I've had the same issue in the past. This set came with T5 screws?? Tiny slots.

Different model, but the new blacksmith finish looks really good. I'm hoping it holds up better too to wear.
Im bummed I couldn't get mine to go. Yours looks good. Maybe if Casey can get me long enough screws I'll try again. I reeealy don't want to strip the liner though.

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:23 pm
JSumm wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

Im bummed I couldn't get mine to go. Yours looks good. Maybe if Casey can get me long enough screws I'll try again. I reeealy don't want to strip the liner though.
I had 6 screws come with mine. 3 short and 3 long. I accidentally used one of the long not paying attention. Usually the short work for me. The long goes all the way through past the opposite side of the liner and sticks out. I did that once accidentally on an Endela and it pushed through the inside of the FRN.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:33 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:23 pm
JSumm wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:

I had 6 screws come with mine. 3 short and 3 long. I accidentally used one of the long not paying attention. Usually the short work for me. The long goes all the way through past the opposite side of the liner and sticks out. I did that once accidentally on an Endela and it pushed through the inside of the FRN.
Im going to double check when I get home, but Im pretty sure mine only came with 3 extra screws that were the exact same size as the OEM.

Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

this is my wife’s, and she hasn’t noticed, but it would drive me crazy. I’m not gonna tell her. But does the grain difference bother anyone else? Also, one of the scales is noticeably greener than the other.

Another thing I noticed, was it seems like this one has two washers on each side. None of my PM2’s have ever had this. Haven’t taken it apart to confirm, but it sure looks like it. Only noticed because it seemed like the gap in the scales was bigger than usual. The knife seems to operate fine though.

Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This thread has turned into Swap a Rama ! I like it ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Now I want to go check my washers.

Superflex

Post by Superflex »

If those are two washers on one side, Spyderco needs better employees.
I've said for a while Golden QA/QC is inconsistent.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Got mine today, tried to like the teal but I think it goes better with a satin blade. So I swapped in these red scales from the DLT exclusive (the M390 blade is wearing peel ply CF).
The washers were in proper order, I think the assembly workers are doing a fine job. Will eventually put those OEM CF scales on some day.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Well that's never happened to me before. I had a new black Lynch Clip all ready to go for this knife, but the OEM screw and the extra screw were too short :/
Did you try putting the clip on backwards, install the middle screw first (closest to scale) then rotate the clip onto the knife? Once you get the middle screw in it should pull the outer screw holes closer to the scale.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

w3tnz wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:39 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Did you try putting the clip on backwards, install the middle screw first (closest to scale) then rotate the clip onto the knife? Once you get the middle screw in it should pull the outer screw holes closer to the scale.
Yep, no luck. It would grab the first thread but then pop out. Pretty sure I did a little damage. Casey is sending me longer screws. If it doesn't work out, I may end up with my first tip down PM2

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:08 pm
w3tnz wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:39 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Yep, no luck. It would grab the first thread but then pop out. Pretty sure I did a little damage. Casey is sending me longer screws. If it doesn't work out, I may end up with my first tip down PM2
I bet your fine. Try the longer screws and see if they grab. If not, pick up a cheap thread repair tool. You may be surprised that it will fix it right up. You can find them at Harbor Freight and Northern Tool and Equipment.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005