Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Poll ended at Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:13 am

UK Pen
38%
Shaman
17%
Lil Native
19%
Native Chief
26%

Total votes: 167

JRinFL

Re: Forum knife 2020 - final model poll

Post by JRinFL »

For it to be a 2020 knife, it would need to be black on black with a black swan engraved on it somewhere.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ric

Post by Ric »

I am done with the forum knife poll.

Extra picky users, no answers from Sal, ...

If you want to revive that topic feel free to do so. I wish you all the luck in the world.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Ric wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm

If you want to revive that topic feel free to do so. I wish you all the luck in the world.
“Extra picky users”

😂

Sounds about right!
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:44 pm
For it to be a 2020 knife, it would need to be black on black with a black swan engraved on it somewhere.
Ha, I like that
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:57 pm
Ric wrote:

“Extra picky users”

😂

Sounds about right!
Right?? So he creates a poll and thinks it's going to come to fruition because of a poll, and then gets mad about it. Come on dude, I'm sure there's A LOT more to it for Spyderco than simply saying "hey let's make such and such a forum knife"
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I don't know...I understand that the Forum knife only happens sporadically, and I don't expect one to come out every year.

But, I do find it a little odd that when Spyderco does decide to make one, they don't appear to show much interest in the voiced preferences or suggestions from the Forum members. Of course, it is ultimately Spyderco's decision and I am not complaining about it.

Or perhaps I am mistaken in my understanding of the way it's done?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:36 pm
I don't know...I understand that the Forum knife only happens sporadically, and I don't expect one to come out every year.

But, I do find it a little odd that when Spyderco does decide to make one, they don't appear to show much interest in the voiced preferences or suggestions from the Forum members. Of course, it is ultimately Spyderco's decision and I am not complaining about it.

I really don’t know how that sausage is made; but the more recent series of polls for the Damasteel UKPK seemed to result in something that will come to fruition.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

The Meat man wrote:

Not going to speak for them, but I imagine it's hard when 90% of forum users would suggest a different option, if only slightly different, and not all options are viable. If Spyderco made say, 4 different models, in 3 steel types, in 2 colors, at one facility... sure you can form a consensus for a model a majority would like. With 100 models, a dozen+ steel types, two dozen colors, manufactured all over the world? Nobody is going to agree on a consensus that a hundred others will agree with (at best - settle for.) Plus you're going to run into "this steel is not available at that facility" and "This model/color combo is not possible due to our agreement with xyz dealer."

I'm sure it's a headache enough that they just decide to run their own process. Plus, from what I've seen, they keep an eye on the forums for suggestions and probably keep a running tally of knives that have been suggested in the past that they're interested in eventually making a run at.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:38 pm
The Meat man wrote:

I really don’t know how that sausage is made; but the more recent series of polls for the Damasteel UKPK seemed to result in something that will come to fruition.
Yes, and I'm tickled pink about that one! It's so cool when Spyderco does that sort of thing. :D I suppose one could look on that as a de facto Forum Knife.

I should have added that I'm still quite new to these Forums and so I don't really know what the procedures were for the previous Forum knives.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I hear ya bud. Last one I remember was that PM2 with the Spider web inlays, which didn't seem to be a hot seller. I wonder if that plays a part in why the Forum knife has slowed?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Rp5 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:41 pm
The Meat man wrote:

Not going to speak for them, but I imagine it's hard when 90% of forum users would suggest a different option, if only slightly different, and not all options are viable. If Spyderco made say, 4 different models, in 3 steel types, in 2 colors, at one facility... sure you can form a consensus for a model a majority would like. With 100 models, a dozen+ steel types, two dozen colors, manufactured all over the world? Nobody is going to agree on a consensus that a hundred others will agree with (at best - settle for.) Plus you're going to run into "this steel is not available at that facility" and "This model/color combo is not possible due to our agreement with xyz dealer."
But isn't this exactly what this poll (and others like it) are doing? I think most everyone here understands the limitations you describe and doesn't expect to get everything exactly as they want it. The abovementioned Damasteel UKPK project, for example, is not exactly how I'd order it. But, I yield to the majority and I understand that not everything is possible and that even Spyderco has its limits.

These polls show what the forum members would prefer from a given set of (what I would suppose are) very reasonable options.
I'm sure it's a headache enough that they just decide to run their own process. Plus, from what I've seen, they keep an eye on the forums for suggestions and probably keep a running tally of knives that have been suggested in the past that they're interested in eventually making a run at.
You're probably right.
We are a fickle bunch. :rolleyes:
- Connor

The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:00 pm
I hear ya bud. Last one I remember was that PM2 with the Spider web inlays, which didn't seem to be a hot seller. I wonder if that plays a part in why the Forum knife has slowed?
I guess it could be, although from what I remember, it seems that the Forum knives were always a little sporadic.

I imagine that Spyderco's production schedule is so busy with so many new releases that it makes it hard trying to squeeze in a Forum knife each and every year, especially if they do try to listen to our input.
- Connor

Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:05 pm
You're probably right.
We are a fickle bunch. :rolleyes:
:D
Might be the nicest thing anyone has said to me on the internet.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I sort of like the idea of the forum knife being “Spyderco’s gift to the forum.”
That sounds a little like I me looking to feel special or whatever, but that’s the vibe I get as a new member who is totally new to this concept.
It’s more like me appreciating that they’d even take the time to do such a thing for us and I don’t want the forum or myself coming off as spoiled children when we can’t make all of the decisions (not saying we are like that, but I think(hope) y’all get what I mean).
Actually, I suppose the forum is a little spoiled!
So many people involved with the company interact with us so regularly. It’s honestly so lovely to be a part of, even if I don’t post much.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ric wrote:

Thanks for the attempt! :)

I think you really did your best, but this forum probably is too diverse (which is a good thing imho and not necessarely the same as "picky" ;) )

Also I am sure IF Spyderco chooses to do another forum knife, your effort will not have been totally in vain, since I figure they´ll at least have a look at your polls and take the results as part of their considerations:
After all, while when forum members normally wish for a certain model here, we are not really representative for the general market. This is a different story when it comes to a forum-knife, since then we ARE obviously much more representative of the target group
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)