Manix 2 lock fails hard-use test [VID] -- thoughts?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

VashHash wrote:well i'm back did some whine spacking of my own http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93B1mG1H1ck i did some before this video but i figured less talk more whack
Way to go. Thank you. I took a couple whacks with mine, just cause I couldn't help it (no failure)--but nothing like the drubbing you gave yours!
TooSharp

Post by TooSharp »

We can all say this or that about the test. We weren't there and all we can go on is what was actually shown. Do I think the test was over the top? For day to day use, sure, but for what can a knife actually take, no. I'm sure the pivot was loosened with the first test and that led to the failures in the subsequent tests, but again that is me just guessing. The video could have shown closeups of the knife after each test, but I do think re-tightening the pivot would have invalidated the test. I'm not surprised the Manix failed, I wouldn't be surprised by any folder failing that test. This test in no way would deter me from owning any knife that I intended on carrying for day to day activities. When in the woods carry a fixed blade.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I watched the video once, then read all the comments about him twisting the handle being abuse and had to go back to see if I was missing something. I don't think anything he did before the spine whack test was abuse... I don't even think it was particularly hard use. I'm very surprised that the pivot loosened up like that. I can't imagine that the screws came out since they are fully tightened to begin with in the M2's pivot design, so maybe that piece that the pivot screws thread into stretched out or broke or something.

The tip breaking after prying like that didn't surprise me and I would consider that to be abuse, but it's the fact that the knife was already broken before then that I find to be very surprising and disappointing if the experiment is replicated with the same result.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Manix 2 will be sent to Spyderco on Monday for inspection.

I don't think it should have failed like that either, it a nice knife.

Might have been defective. :eek:

Eric Glesser will be looking at it. :)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i don't understand why anyone would ever baton with a folder. i baton all the time, but always carry a fixed blade for that purpose.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Like everyone else has stated anything mechanical can and will fail it's a fact of life. There are many factors we don't know. My knife has seen its fair share of ****. I habpve batoned with it and done many things to change it. I also broke the polymer tail on the cage that helps to keep the spring in. I did this because I wanted to take a short cut stripping the knife down. Well taking a knife apart several times doesn't mean you can take shortcuts. I can spine whack all I want but I can't do the overstrike test. I'll buy another M2 soon though and do further testing. If I wasn't doing this from a phone I would link my torture thread.
markg

Post by markg »

I need to send my UK Penknife back in it seems...

It keeps failing spine whacks, the piece of junk!!! ;)
dc50

Post by dc50 »

markg wrote:I need to send my UK Penknife back in it seems...

It keeps failing spine whacks, the piece of junk!!! ;)
lol Image
dc
Slick

Post by Slick »

Blerv wrote:The standard test for lock strength is not a spine whack. Locks are tested with static pressure and controlled situations rather than one incident.

I don't think that M2 represents more than that M2 in that test. I'm not going to call conspiracy theory but if someone wanted it to fail they could probably find a way too.

I'm just a little tired with grassroots tests because agendas are unknown variables (as rare as they are).

Variables won't; constants aren't. Computers are unreliable, but humans are even more unreliable.

This seems to be keeping with this thread.
Not really all that slick ;)
arjung

Post by arjung »

What bothers me about the Manix 2's performance was not the spine whack test, but the fact that it developed that much play after shaving wood. That should not happen.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I have never really understood stabbing Refrigerators, prying with the tip & other hard use (edge of abuse) stuff with a folder. If your life depends on it then O.K. you'll do what you have to, but if given the choice use the right **** tool!
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Ankerson wrote:The Manix 2 will be sent to Spyderco on Monday for inspection.
Glad to hear it, and welcome to the forum Ankerson! I look forward to hearing more after inspection.
"Nothing makes a knife maker-designer feel better than to see their efforts used." -Ed
~ My knives list ~
~ Knife photos ~
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

Leatherneck wrote:I have never really understood stabbing Refrigerators, prying with the tip & other hard use (edge of abuse) stuff with a folder. If your life depends on it then O.K. you'll do what you have to, but if given the choice use the right **** tool!
Well the point is you dont always have the right tool with you all the time. So it's nice to know whether the tool some of us most likely have with us, namely our EDC folder, can rise up to whatever challenge that is and get the job done.

I think tests/abuse like this is totally valid test and serves a purpose.

I am glad to learn that the knife is being sent to Spyderco and will be examined by Eric Glesser. They will figure out what went wrong and hopefully improve the design if needed. In the end, Spyderco and the users benefit from tests like this.
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
davibocce

Post by davibocce »

arjung wrote:What bothers me about the Manix 2's performance was not the spine whack test, but the fact that it developed that much play after shaving wood. That should not happen.
Same here. I suspect one other possibility is that that Manix was a bit loose to begin with (not loose pivot screw, but a bit more tolerance in the bushing system). And when the knife is used hard, and went through light prying when shaving the wood stick, the washer might have yielded or micro-deformed a little - enough to allow more side-to-side play.

When I examine my Manix 2 (which never went through anything like the test done in that video :) ), I can sense that, even though there is no side-to-side play when blade is locked open, if I push it sideways hard, the washer will yield a tiny bit and the blade will move. Try this on the Manix, and on a conventional pivot system like the Endura 4, you will see what I mean. A properly tightened Endura 4 is more solid when pushed sideways.

This is apparently by design in the new bushing system, and probably wont affect normal use at all. Just something to think about.
:spyder: Manix 2 | Delica 4 FFG | Endura 4 FFG | Endura 4 G10 | Tenacious | Labybug 3 | Byrd Finch :spyder:
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

arjung wrote:What bothers me about the Manix 2's performance was not the spine whack test, but the fact that it developed that much play after shaving wood. That should not happen.
Assuming the pivot was properly tight and there was no excessive blade play to begin with.
The General

Post by The General »

Guys, the knife is being sent in and we have all speculated on how this could have happened.

I would ask that we perhaps wait to see what the results of this knife being examined are before we continue to beat a dead horse! :D

Just saying like... :)

Lets see what the official word is on this matter.
My real name is Wayne :D
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I saw this post very early on and knew this would be a firestorm. Im not going to speculate on if it was abuse or not - or maybe a subpar Manix 2 or not, but bottom line for me and for how I use knives - it doesnt bother me a bit. I will very likely not use a knife like that, nor will I do a spine whack like that. Even if I have to put a ton of pressure on a knife that would stress the lock, I wills still be careful - no lock is fool proof.

I know some of you guys are hard use guys that this might bother, but I would guess for the majority of us, this test is irrelevant and shouldnt influence us one way or another. Just some late night, just about to sign off, finishing the glass'o'scotch commentary.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Pneumothorax wrote:...I know some of you guys are hard use guys that this might bother, but I would guess for the majority of us, this test is irrelevant and shouldnt influence us one way or another. Just some late night, just about to sign off, finishing the glass'o'scotch commentary.
The best kind. ;)

First off, Ankerson is a respected member on at least two knife forums and may be trusted to be non-biased in his videos. Second, all we can accurately say is that the M2 failed some spine whacks and anything else is just conjecture. Third, I have every confidence in the CBBL and so ordered an M2 and a CTX-HXP M2. :)
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SaturnNyne wrote:Glad to hear it, and welcome to the forum Ankerson! I look forward to hearing more after inspection.
I am hoping that they can shed some light on this once they get it. :)

Thanks, I figured I had better come over here once I heard what was going on so I could answer any questions etc. :D

I tested 5 folders in the last week using my new testing format for hard use folding knives.
A.P.F. wrote:The best kind. ;)

First off, Ankerson is a respected member on at least two knife forums and may be trusted to be non-biased in his videos. Second, all we can accurately say is that the M2 failed some spine whacks and anything else is just conjecture. Third, I have every confidence in the CBBL and so ordered an M2 and a CTX-HXP M2. :)
Thanks for the kind words. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Consider this another welcome Ank.