Has the Paramilitary 2 ship sailed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Is the Paramilitary 2 done?

Yes, it's a dead horse that we'll be kicking for another year plus.
22%
No, it's got life left.
26%
Not if they get creative again, too much overlap.
7%
The frequency is too high to seek them all. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.
20%
I love 'em so keep 'em coming! Especially if they're easier to score. They will sell out eventually.
25%

Total votes: 136

ZrowsN1s

Re: Has the Paramilitary 2 ship sailed?

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^I think making blade shape exclusives was a mistake. I think Spyderco could have made more profit making them regular production knives. And from a customer standpoint, the demand exceeds the supply. At least with a steel and color combo, there will be other opportunities if you dont get a particular exclusive. But with these a lot of people miss out on a new design AND on the opportunity for another company to comission a color/steel combo, or for Spyderco to do a Sprint.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:09 am
^I think making blade shape exclusives was a mistake. I think Spyderco could have made more profit making them regular production knives. And from a customer standpoint, the demand exceeds the supply. At least with a steel and color combo, there will be other opportunities if you dont get a particular exclusive. But with these a lot of people miss out on a new design AND on the opportunity for another company to comission a color/steel combo, or for Spyderco to do a Sprint.
100%. Couldn't agree more about the profit and the that there is more opportunity to get different steel/color combos. And always thought Spyderco was missing the opportunity to have different companies and themselves do sprints of the wharnnie and tanto. Thanks for saying it the way I wanted to! Lol.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Co Pilot wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:09 am
100%. Couldn't agree more about the profit and the that there is more opportunity to get different steel/color combos. And always thought Spyderco was missing the opportunity to have different companies and themselves do sprints of the wharnnie and tanto. Thanks for saying it the way I wanted to! Lol.
👍🏻
If and when they make a Tanto/Emerson/Wharncliffe Para3 I hope they learn from this and make it a regular production knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

Which ship? What port? :winking-tongue
Peter
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Personally it has come to the point where i swipe close every notification on the Spyderco app without looking every time there's a new shade of PM2 is being launched, so for me the dead horse is beaten to a pulp.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

i personally love the PM2, a MUCH improved iteration of the OG Paramilitary. i really wanted to love the PM1, but that fixed clip tip down carry was a killer. when i finally did get the pm2, i was in love. i personally cant think of anything they could do to improve on the design and/or performance.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Eventually, a saturation point may be reached. There were 31 ParaMilitary2 Exclusives/Sprints released in 2019-2021 (3 full years). About half of those (15) were released just in 2021 (that's a lot of production capacity considering the new CruCarta PM2 and other PM2 restocks were also produced in 2021)! Another 2 ParaMilitary2 Exclusives have already been released in 2022 and we're barely halfway through January! Another 6 are known to be in the pipeline with probably quite a few more the rest of the year. Let's not forget restocks of past popular Exclusives like BladeHQ's Tanto, Cutlery Shoppe's Wharncliffe and BladeOps's Emerson Wave. Even though they're selling at a slower pace for each Sprint/Exclusive drop they still mostly sell out within days or weeks (the Colorado Flag one being the exception). Of course, the lower priced ones sell out very quickly like the BladeHQ aluminum ones. Also, the CruCarta ParaMilitary2 still sells very well if you can find them. If I were a dealer I would certainly want to get a ParaMilitary2 exclusive over any other model because I don't want them in stock long. ParaMilitary2 continues to be a good money-maker for dealers, Spyderco and flippers.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
confucius

Post by confucius »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:16 am
I don’t know about you, but if I can’t get my first choice I just won’t buy what I perceive to be an inferior alternative.
Totally agree. I missed the S90V and 204P releases so I'm waiting patiently for something on the secondary market. Also would consider LC200N or Magnacut. But honestly my two SE PM2s and blurple PE meet all my needs.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

We need more shamans
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I do appreciate the universality of the pm2
"Some call me...Tim?"
Spenser

Post by Spenser »

It has been really rewarding to find titanium scales for these bad boys. Its like getting one of the vaunted crk knives for roughly half the price...:)

They are almost infinitely customisable, and almost perfect as is.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

I just got my first PM2. The crucarta production version and I gotta say this thing is nice. Substantial, solid, and probably the best micarta I've seen. Maybe PM2 isn't the new hotness but **** is it nice.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:59 am
DLTJordan wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:15 am
Its still a very popular model...
we need a dlt ladybug hawkbill salt with ticn and red/black zome. a ladybug ladybug. i can't promise it'll sell out in five minutes, but i can promise i'd buy at least one.

2 sold, already...
So it goes.
islandpar

Post by islandpar »

Nope, personally I think they need to just review the releases and see where they struck gold. For example, the CruWear with brown mica scales and full liners...why not release the same only this time in a Wharnie, Tanto or Wave version?
"Remember, it is never the knife's fault." - Daniel Boulud

18 Spyders and counting...
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Co Pilot wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:26 am
Eric was mentioning a Spyderco "custom shop" was in work before Covid. An online shop where you could build your knife the way you want (color, blade-shape, metal...).

It would be a homerun no doubt, shame we didn't hear about it for a while.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Haven’t used one in 2 years…so 30+ release’s
Still waiting for my Micarta one for over 12 months (plan is to carry it for a few months once it arrives)

Few I would have liked in the 30+ releases but chasing sprints is not my idea of Fun. And I’m glad on the wallet side they are not just available. (One of those lime green ones would have been nice)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
psubliminal

Post by psubliminal »

kadinh wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:44 pm
i personally love the PM2, a MUCH improved iteration of the OG Paramilitary. i really wanted to love the PM1, but that fixed clip tip down carry was a killer.
I'm curious why PM2's are shipped with the clip on "wrong." Both my original G10 S45VN (2nd Spydie I bought after the Harpy) and the recent Crucarta came to me tip down. Is this intentional? All my other Spyderco knives shipped tip up. My understanding is that tip up is far and away the most popular clip configuration. I tried searching the forum for reasons, but got 33,000+ matches for "tip down."

I only just reentered the knife world last Halloween after about 25 years. In the mid-late '90s I worked at a place that sold Bucks, and accumulated about 8-10. I Googled Spyderco last fall, after reading a novel where one of the characters used a Harpy; I learned that Hannibal Lecter used one, too. YouTube knife review videos pushed me right into the deep end, lol. I now have 13 Spydercos, plus a Benchmade, a mini Ritter Hogue, a small Sebenza 31 and a Shirogorov.
Last edited by psubliminal on Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The real art of conversation isn't just saying the right thing at the right time, but leaving unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
RAHComanche

Post by RAHComanche »

My understanding is that Spyderco (I believe Sal even) prefers the tip down position on the PM2 as the longer length allows less repositioning to open the knife. All my other knives are tip up. So far I do not mind the change (tip down) on my Crucarta. I may change it but so far, I have not.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The "factory" clip position is typically based on the designer's preference. Eric prefers his PM2s tip down, so they ship from the factory tip down.

Stay safe,

Mike
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:29 pm
Fades come and go but the pm2 is forever.

Just remember some of the same people that complain about not having titanium this and frame lock that are the same people that were trying to get everybody to buy fidget spinners, pocket tops and expensive titanium bit drivers.

Keep them pm2's coming, I love all the different steels.

The more there are the more chance there is for people to get their hands on them and the less people will hoard them because they won't be able to keep up with hoarding all of them
Least you forget pogs and slap bracelets!

One can hope the hoarders/collectors have their hands too full, but I fear they can hoard them all.

It took me 3 years to get a Maxamet PM2 (even with your nice YouTube movies alerting a drop)… and it’s the only one I own.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009